Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Just bought an 2007 El Guapo on ebay, brand new (floor model?), with the build below, it's my very first mountain bike. Is the EG a good beginner bike? I also considered the Yeti 575. Since my background is dirt bike I think I'm going to be more into downhill than climbing. What do you guys think?

Also, what about the EG build, is there anything below that I should replace right away?

Your input is very apreciated. Thank you in advance!

Frame Titus El Guapo w/ Rock Shox Pearl
Fork Fox Talas 36R
Rims Mavic XM317
Hubs Shimano XT Rear, Rocky Mountain 20mm Front
Spokes DT Swiss
Tires Maxxis Minnion R 2.35"
Crankset Race Face Deus XC
Chainwheel 44/34/22
Front Derailleur Shimano LX
Rear Derailleur Sram X.9
Rear Cogs Sram PG970 11/32
Shifters Sram X.9 Triggers
Handlebars Race Face Atlas Lo Rise
Grips RMB Locking
Stem Race Face Deus XC
Brake Levers Avid Juicy 5
Brakes Avid Juicy 5 185mm
Saddle SDG RMB
Seat Post Race Face Deus XC
Seat Binder QR

By the way, I live in SoCal.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Lots of negative attention to the Pearl Shock, but some like it. Odds are that if you don't have experience on other shocks, you won't notice a difference. A coil over shock may be more appropriate if you find yourself doing more jumps and drops.

Based on your moto background, a 203mm front rotor will give you more braking power. Before you swap out any brakes, for a couple of extra bucks, put a 203mm front rotor on.

You may also consider getting rid of the 44T front chain ring and installing a bashguard. With a 34T / 22T combo, a medium cage rear derailleur will be possible.

I hope that you enjoy your EG as much as I enjoy mine.

Congratulations on your new bike.

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
the thing about beginning with the EG is you'll be spoiled!!!

use the Pearl for a while... the R2D2 like sounds it makes will fade eventually...;) i put a DHX air on mine and like it quite a bit... although you could get an RP23 (but i would Push it if you do)...

the bike is an amazing climber for its weight...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll definitely get a bigger rotor and do the bash guard swap, but I'll wait a little bit on the shock because it sounds like it can be expensive. How much does one of those shocks cost?

Someone mentioned that my rims might be a problem too, are they bad? If so, which ones should I get?

Thank you for the tips, and please keep them coming! :thumbsup:

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
The El Guapo's a terrible starter..............where can you go but down on your next bike......you just bought the Mercedes Mclaren of mountain bikes :D sweet ride bro!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would leave the rims. They may self destruct anyway dependant on your weight and riding sytle. Change them out if they fail. A good wheelset can run around $650 - $1000.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm 165 lb and beginner, so hopefully the rims would last long... $650-1000 for a new one?! Ouch!

Just bought the pedals, Specialized Lo Pro Mag 2, they got very good reviews here at mtbr. Are they really good? Price was not too bad, paid $72 + tax.

·
Training for vacation
306 Posts
$650-$1000 is for the wheel set, which would be top of the line too. That would be rims, spokes, nipples, and hubs.
If your rims 'self destruct' you can reuse your hubs and rebuild the wheel.
New rims would be about $80-$100 a piece + new spokes + labor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice bike, I actually bid on that but got a sweet deal on one at a local shop. I picked up an 08 with a few demo rides, titus all mountain setup including the formula oro's and dt swiss whellset. Did you get great deal on that or what? I offered him 2 grand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats, you got a sweet deal! :thumbsup: My brakes and wheel wouln't be my first choice but I had to pick my battles. My local shop didn't have an EG and that one was the best deal I could find online, everything else was way above $3k. If I wasn't so anxiuos to start riding I would have bought a frame and build it myself with some nice parts, but it would take forever.

But like someone already said here, I'm going to ride it the way it is and replace the parts as needed.

Post a pic of your bike and specs!

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
probably the first thing i'll bet you'll want to upgrade is the Pearl anyway...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Niteroi, You got a good deal IMO anyway! Ride it and enjoy. The frame and fork alone is worth alot. I will post mine up soon. It's sucks looking at it sit in my basement right now.
Its like owning a ferrari with no gas! I need this snow to melt already.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice! It looks like you went for the bash guard, it seems like it's the way to go, right?

What are the full specs on your bike?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ya you gotta have a bash guard unless you have crazy skills to bunny hop over stuff. My bikes specs are stock, full freeride package. Formula oro brakes,dt swiss wheels 540's and hubs , full xt drivetrain,mpt bash guard,kenda nevegals and kona flat pedals(might swap those for crank bro's mallets).

·
Sup?
639 Posts
oh no! ...

Thats a horrible bike for a beginner! :D You better let me take it off your hands for a few years till you get better. I've got a nice hardtail for you that would be a great beginner bike:thumbsup:

Obviously just kidding.. you'll be set for years to come with that ride.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the bike today, looks awesome! Spent the last hours learning how to setup suspension, sag and etc Gotta buy the right pump for the job...

Love the bike, but I'm not very impressed with the brakes, are those Juicy Avid 5 bad or it takes the pads some time to adjust?

Thank you guys for all your comments! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts