Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent Christmas down in Southern California this year, instead of putting my Motolite on my Thule T2 and driving down US 395 from Reno and having my bike get plastered with road salt, I decided to get an El Guapo demo from competitive cyclist. I'm not really in the market for a new trail bike this year, I am going to buy a Giant Glory in the spring to explore the freeride realm and keep the ML as a trailbike. The bike arrived ontime from CC, I had a few gripes though, the tires were worn pretty well, the Juicy 7's were so badly adjusted they hardly worked, the Mavic front hub had noticable play, and they had shipped the bike with both the fork and shock lockout engaged. I can understand the worn tires, the bike is at the end of its demo season. I believe that nobody that had a clue adjusted the brakes, I have had Juicy 7's for a couple of years and it only took me a few minutes to get them adjusted properly. The front hub, while it looked bullet proof, shouldnt have left CC with play in it, they should have fixed it. They ship the bike with no air in the shock but leave the air in the fork and direct you to do the same upon returning it(kinda weird?). The give you pressure guidelines for the shock (45% of rider weight) and the Lyric pressures are listed on the fork, but with no manuals it took me a while to figure out that the lockouts were on.

OK- Ride Impressions-
I havent ridden in about a month and I have been training very hard and dieting to lose weight since mid October. I have gone from 223 to 207 in the last 10 weeks so I didnt notice the increased weight when climbing, I felt like the bike climbed as good or better than the ML as I didnt feel the front end wandering at all. I actually felt like a faster climber on the EL Guapo but that could be my weight loss.
I hated the RS Pearl. Period! I started at 90 psi in the shock and I could only get 50% travel and it felt like a hardtail. I finally settled on 65 psi at about 40% sag to get full travel, but then it packed up under braking no matter what the rebound and compression were set at. I could not stand the "PSSST" sound everytime it compressed slightly, I guess that is why Titus changed shocks. Good move!

I loved the Lyric fork. It did what it was supposed to do, with the recomended air pressure. It felt stiff, the maxle worked great, it was easy to adjust and it soaked up everything in its path. Best fork I have ever ridden!! I hear they are having some problems with them though, I hope they get them worked out.

The bike handled great, it handled technical sections better than my ML and you really feel the extra inch of travel. Switchbacks were a breeze, something I didnt expect from a bike with a raked out front end. High speed cornering was good even with the worn tires. It felt great in the air, but was maybe a tad nose heavy. I did rub my knees on the cable routing, but that has been changed. I cant stand Mavic wheels, I've had bad experiences with them, while they were light and looked strong, they were flexy. I could take the rear and push it over and touch the seatstay and I heard the front rub on the arch numerous times. The fact that the front hub had play in it already, proved the reliability is not there.

What would I change??
-Rear shock maybe to a DHX-air or Marz TST??
-Tires-2.3 Conti-explorers were more like 2.1, would put a true 2.35 on the rear with maybe a WTB LT 2.55 on the front.
-I would put some DT 5.1's with Hope Pro II's and save some serious coin over the over-priced Mavics and never have hub problems.
-Adding a gravity-dropper would make this a true do it all bike!

Riding this bike made me really think wether or not I need two bikes, as it is true do it all bike. I think I am still going to get the Glory though and really consider the El Guapo as a replacement for my Motolite next year.

We shot some video on a trail my friend built in LA. Dont ask me where it is, there are only a handful of people that know about it and they want it to stay that way!! Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtCAiCXDJVQ

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Yeah Craigster, that vid was really good! Love the air shots. Liked your review too! Thanks for that.

So where's that trail? ;)

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
fun video! i really liked how the EG felt in the air as well as how well it climbed when i test rode one...

they moved the cable routing?!?

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Good review Craig, thinking that was the same EL G I had for the demo, must have taken a beating since I had it, everything was tight as a nuns nasty when I had it...

Cool to see the Video too......

I still stick by my thoughts that as an AM ride, the EL G will take over from the MotoLite for sure as a do it all steed....

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Great review, bro!!

Video is awesome!

Actually, every review should come with a vid like that! Mad props!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you all liked it!!

Didnt think I would get so many kudos on this. We actually took the video with a digital still camera in video mode. The El Guapo is a great bike, riding it instills confidence and makes you look for obstacles to hit and stuff to jump off. I was amazed how well it turned a slow speed with the slack head angle and it just rails turns at speed. I wonder how it would handle with a 7" fork?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
craigstr said:
The El Guapo is a great bike, riding it instills confidence and makes you look for obstacles to hit and stuff to jump off. I was amazed how well it turned a slow speed with the slack head angle and it just rails turns at speed. I wonder how it would handle with a 7" fork?
You bet it is. Best bike I've ever ridden. I went from relunctantly hitting stunts to aggressively hitting stunts when I switched to the EG. It's too bad you had to demo it with a Pearl. The EG really shines with a coil. It makes it a completely different bike. I have it dialed in so that it's quite plush when it needs to be yet almost impossible to bottom out:thumbsup: .

I too would like to see how it handles with a 7" fork. It's incredibly balanced with a 6" fork. I can't imagine one more inch making that much of a difference. Hmmmm, which 7" fork would work best? I better stop this crazy talk before I pull out my credit card :nono:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts