Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Ordering an El Guapo shortly:) Below is the build I've decided on.
Frame: El Guapo, Large, Gold
Rear Shock: RP23 HV to start off with. Plan on switching to a Evolver ISX-6
Fork: Fox TALAS 36 RC2 or RS Lyrik 2 Step
Brakes: XT 775 203front/160rear
Cranks: XT 770 175mm
Front Derailleur: XT 770
Rear Derailleur: XT Shadow 772GS
Cassette: XT 770
Chain: HG93
Shifters: XT 770
Wheelset: XT 776 or Easton Havocs
Headset: Sunline V-One All Mtn
Stem: Sunline V-One 50mm All Mtn
Handlebar: Sunline V-One Bar 31.8 x 38mm
Seatpost: Thompson Elite 30.9 x 367
Collar: Salsa
Grips: ODI Rogue Lock Ons
Saddle: WTB Pure V - Team
Chain Guide E 13 Dual Ring or Blackspire Stinger
Tires: Nevagal 2.35 UST

Still unsure on a couple of components. Can you guys make any suggestions?
I'm 6', 200#'s.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Nice build. I use the blackspire stinger on my supermoto and really like it. Works well and is relatively light.

xt wheels are UST compatible if that makes a difference...I don't believe the havoc are???

I would go with the Fox Talas. Really nice fork.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does the gold look in person?
I'm flip-flopping between the 776 and Havocs. I'm running UST on my other bikes and lovin it but I'm concerned that the 776 won't be as durable as the Havocs.
If I go Havocs I'll throw on Stans and some Schwalbe Bit Betty/Fat Albert.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Jlar said:
How does the gold look in person?
I'm flip-flopping between the 776 and Havocs. I'm running UST on my other bikes and lovin it but I'm concerned that the 776 won't be as durable as the Havocs.
If I go Havocs I'll throw on Stans and some Schwalbe Bit Betty/Fat Albert.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than in pics, which look pretty good IMO.

Attachments

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
I really like BA's bike.:thumbsup:
then you admit you went with the wrong bike?:D ;) :D

Jlar... take a look at the Kenda Excavators... i like 'em much better than the nevegals (which used to be my favorites)

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
dog said:
then you admit you went with the wrong bike?:D ;) :D

Jlar... take a look at the Kenda Excavators... i like 'em much better than the nevegals (which used to be my favorites)
LOL... no. The EG is an excelent bike, and I think I would have loved to have it. Six months ago I was this close to pull the trigger on one. And it would have been Gold color, so I think that BA has some great taste in colors...

In my post I did err saying 'better bike' or something like that. I feel that I'm going with the best option for me right now. I would love to have a stable of bikes out there, like the Endo, an EG, Banshee Rune, Pivot Mach 4 or 5, etc. etc. etc., but I only can have one.

Anyway, it's great to see that the EG has finally launched, since on the first year, by what I've read or seen at the forum, got a lukewarm reception, but now that it's BA approved, everybody's going for one....

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Looks a good spec list for sure, I would not go for the XT rims, hate the stickers on them, looks pox......

The gold frame looks the ducks nuts in person..... Very cool colour....

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Whafe said:
Looks a good spec list for sure, I would not go for the XT rims, hate the stickers on them, looks pox......

The gold frame looks the ducks nuts in person..... Very cool colour....
I think that the XT looks good on black frames, the white takes a bit of the gloomy factor, and makes the bike shine. But probably not for a gold frame. Color speaking, I don't know how good or bad the XT wheelset is.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
I, I don't know how good or bad the XT wheelset is.
Surprisingly good actually..my buddy Adrian has been the beating the crap out of his XT set for about 9 months now...including a couple of weeks in the mountains in Romania...and they're still as an arrow....

some scrapes here and there from all the rocks...but still going...he's so happy with them that his thinking of replacing his CC Zonos wheels on the XC bike with some XTRs...

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Jlar, I would go Lyrik over the Talas 36, my 2008 Talas 36 had travel adjust issues, back n forth to Fox. Finally I had them remove the Talas cartridge, and just set it to a fixed travel. The CS guy on the phone, said the 2009 Talas catridge would be more reliable.

I would pass on the Havoc Wheels. The 20mm adapters fall off just about anytime you remove the front wheel, and the rear hub internals are doo doo..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.