Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it easy to build medium 2007 El Cuervo at 42lb w/o effort? I mean no carbon, titanium and XC parts.
Can anyone share your weight build? I'd like to compare to new Turner DHR and see if I can build an El C with similar weight.

·
Spanish Marathon Racer
120 Posts

By rapiermtb, shot with Canon EOS 10D at 2007-08-19

That´s mine, it´s bellow 42 LBS (it´s small size).

This is the Setup:
888 RC2XVA 2007
Custom wheels: Mavic 823, hope pro II hubs, DT chamion spokes (32 front, 36 rear)
Tires: Michelin DH 32 Tubeless front, Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 Tubeless rear
Seat Post: Thomson Elite custom Cut
Seat: WTB Pure V titanium
Brakes: Avis Juicy 7 2007 203 mms (both)
HandleBar: Race Face DH Diabolous Riser
Stem: Azonic Equalizer DH
Headset: Race Face Diabolous with Use Headlock
Chain Guide: Race Face Diabolous
Chain: Connex Teflon:
Shifter: Deore LX (This is going to be changed soon for an XT)
Rear Deralieur: Shimano XTR 2006 inverted Spring tuned with KCNC aluminiun sprockets
Cassette: Shimano Dura Ace 9 sp 11-23
Chainwheel: E-Thirteen 38 tooth
BashRing: Race Face
Cranks: Shimano LX

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at your build the significant difference I see is frame size, mine would be a Medium. Is yours 07 frame?
Here is mine:
07 888 WC
Mavic 823/ Hope Pro II front and rear/ DT spokes and nipples
Michelin 16 front and 24 rear both 2.5
Thomson Elite 250mm
WTB Pure V cromo
07 Avid Codes both 203mm
Sunline V-One low rise (not carbon)
Thomson X4 50mm/ 0 rise
ChrisKing threadless
chainguide not sure, E-13 SRS or LG1 or GamutP40
chain Shimano DuraAce
shifter Sram X9
rear der Sram X9 mid cage
cassete Shimano XT 11-34
crankset Shimano Saint 38t

Do you think it would have similar weight though for a M frame?

·
Spanish Marathon Racer
120 Posts
Well, my brakes are about 150 grams lighter than yours..
Your chaingude... I dont´know the weight.

But one important thing... you don´t need that big, heavy cassette, you should go for a 9 speeed dura ace, 11-23, and you will save about 150 grams.

And the crankset... ok, of you are using the bike for jumping big drops (extreme freeride) use the Saints, but if you use the bike only for downhill races, go for Shimano hone or LX, about 300 grames lighter than Saint cranks.

With that changes I think weight must be very similar. My frame is 07

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I could swap Code for Juicy from my other bike.

Do you know your chainguide weight? I think LG1 is 200g, SRS 500g and Gamut 260 and LG1 is the only w/o bash.

Cassete is from my previous allmountain bike and it's in good shape so for now that's it.

I didn't know BB width was 73, I was told 83mm.

I think my fork, handlebar and stem are lighter than yours, though not that much.

And my pedal is Tioga MX which is 460g.

You don't have ti spring, do you?

Have you ridden other DH bikes or this is your first? If you had could you compare specially if it's DHR. Thanks

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
<<<<<I didn't know BB width was 73, I was told 83mm.>>>>>

Who told you that?
Cuervo has always been 73mm BB.

I'll throw my opinion choice for the LG-1. Have installed them on a bunch of bikes with all good reviews, all except one fool who thought his DH bike was a solid steel street basher bmx bike and folded his chainring while trying a sprocket grind. no no no no

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
I've had my Cuervo for well over two years now and absolutely love it. Corners like nothing else. Super planted. Hard to knock it off-line, but still able to pick it up and move it around on the trail. More bike than I'll ever be able to push, but heck, it's nice to know it's there on the occassion I think I'm better than I really am. ;-)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Internal14 said:
I've had my Cuervo for well over two years now and absolutely love it. Corners like nothing else. Super planted. Hard to knock it off-line, but still able to pick it up and move it around on the trail. More bike than I'll ever be able to push, but heck, it's nice to know it's there on the occassion I think I'm better than I really am. ;-)
I've just seen your El Cuervo, nice bike. Is your frame medium or small?
39lb? Sounds good to me.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
IntenTurner said:
I've just seen your El Cuervo, nice bike. Is your frame medium or small?
39lb? Sounds good to me.
I think you saw the post of the one I build for a customer of mine that went with the SuperDust color? That one? Yeah, dang feathery!
That was a small frame....with a host of other lightweight goodies. Ti Spring for starters.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Internal14 said:
I think you saw the post of the one I build for a customer of mine that went with the SuperDust color? That one? Yeah, dang feathery!
That was a small frame....with a host of other lightweight goodies. Ti Spring for starters.
Yeah, it was a black color with boxxer wc and ti spring shock. I sent you e-mail ok?

·
Registered
148 Posts
IntenTurner said:
Is it easy to build medium 2007 El Cuervo at 42lb w/o effort? I mean no carbon, titanium and XC parts..
I am shooting for 39 myself on a small but with a fancy part list. 42 on a medium should not be too hard but you'll have to pay some attention.

I cant wait!!!! :D

(without a shock it's lighter ;) )

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mani_UT said:
I am shooting for 39 myself on a small but with a fancy part list. 42 on a medium should not be too hard but you'll have to pay some attention.

I cant wait!!!! :D

(without a shock it's lighter ;) )
Let me know when you're done, I'm interested to see your build.

·
Registered
148 Posts
IntenTurner said:
Let me know when you're done, I'm interested to see your build.
although I am still waiting for some parts, the built is pretty straight forward:

Roco WC push or DHX5 shock (not sure the one I'll use the most) + Ti spring
Boxxer Team + E13 stem
King head set and hubs + 823 rims and supercomp spokes
X9 shifter / derailler
Easton Havoc handlebar / ODI grips / Juicy carbon brakes
FSA carbon 160g saddle on thomson masterpiece seatpost
Maxxis mininon 2.5 UST tires
Dura ace cassette
Gravity light cranks with LG1 guide and E13 ring + small taco
And I think that covers it

It's gonna be fun :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually am going to pick of my new Ventana El Cuervo monday...It's a medium 07' and I actually got it a tich lower then 42 lbs...more like 41.7 or something haha. But its expensive to shave those pounds for sure.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
VentanaRider said:
I actually am going to pick of my new Ventana El Cuervo monday...It's a medium 07' and I actually got it a tich lower then 42 lbs...more like 41.7 or something haha. But its expensive to shave those pounds for sure.
Cool. Would you mind say your build? What color and shock did you choose?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts