Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Ciclon got it's 1st washing in almost a year, thought it's a good time to share my Ciclon experience with you.

Rider= 6'1" 240lbs geared
Location = New England, a good mix of tech and xc, lot's of twisty rooty rock singletrack, with stretches of high speed buff.

Setup
Large El Ciclon, quad bearings, standard 5" rockers.
Fox 36 fork, factory set to 135mm of travel, headangle is about 68.3*
Rear Shock RP23, PP1, 25% sag
XTR Crankset 24/34/Gamut Bash
XT shifts and shadow derailleur
XTR front mech
XTR Chain and Cassette
Formula The Ones Brakes
Crossmax SX Wheels
Fat Albert UST 2.3s
110 Thomson X4 Stem, 670mm low rise Sunline 7075 bars
Syntace P6 Post WTB Laser Saddle
about 29-30lbs

Descending:thumbsup:
This bike absolutely loves to desced, it never feels overmatched, you can go as fast the rider will allow. It loves chunk, but really shines railling bermed out singletrack, and I mean rail. The lower you dive into turns, the better the bike hooks up, seems like I'm going faster exiting turns than ever before. I'm not much of a dropper, but when forced (think oh crapp a drop, no time to avoid), the bike sucks them right up. This bike loves to be ridden hard and fast. Bottomline, the downhill fun factor is at an all time high:D

Climbing.

At 1st I wasnt' too stoked on the Ciclon when it came time to put in the earn your turns climb to the top. My typical ride is 15-20 miles, about 1200" of climbing. The climbs usually come in 300-400" chunks, nothing too brutal, just some huff'n puff'n for 15-30 minutes. I felt the Ciclon was too tall upfront, fighting to keep the front end down on the steeper climbs, too much work:nono: Well a simple fix, I slid my saddle about 1/2 " forward, removed the 100mm stem, replaced with 110mm. I feel nice and centered, the front end only wheelies when climbing walls. I find the bike loves to spin to the top, but you can also get out of the saddle and hammer for a bit, I tend to hammer short climbs, spin the long ones. Bottomline, this bike climbs just fine with the proper setup.

My only Con, The slow tech chunk, produces a bit of a wallow now and then. I'm no suspension setup expert, I think I have it dialed now, I only get the wallow when at very slow speeds, pushing a big gear, through up n down chop. I had this same experience on my Motolite, pretty sure it's just part of having 5" of travel. I need to spin more, be less agressive on the pedals, but I'm a big dude, and need to keep moving. I'd like to try a DW-link sometime, see if they don't wallow like they say..

All n All, the quality of the frame contruction, and the ride most importantly are 5 flaming chilis on the El Ciclon. I'm very happy with my purchase. Thanks to Ventana for making such beautiful bikes.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
snowdrifter said:
My typical ride is 15-20 miles, about 1200" of climbing. The climbs usually come in 300-400" chunks, nothing too brutal, just some huff'n puff'n for 15-30 minutes.
Nice review and good lookin bike...but a 1200" climb over 15-20 miles aint that much climbin.:p

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phishin Paul said:
Get er done. Is that laser etched?
Nahh, just some sticker protecting against cable rub.

QUOTE=OldHouseMan]Nice review and good lookin bike...but a 1200" climb over 15-20 miles aint that much climbin.:p[/QUOTE]

This is New England!

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
525 Posts
Snowdrifter,
I did find your write up helpful as I am getting my parts together for the Ciclon I am about to order. I am running a 100mm stem on my Salty and wondered how it would feel on the Ciclon. I have big climbs in my area so I want to make sure I keep the front wheel down. I am sure there will be some "getting used to" time with the switch. I remember when I went to the Salty it took me a few rides to get used to its different angles. The shop I am working with wants me to go with a 90mm stem (on med frame). I feel that will wont be the way to go for climbing. Hopefully they will let me try a couple different stem sizes to get it right.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mtnbiker4life said:
Great review. If you're a big dude you might want to try a nice coil shock verses the RP23. I'm just at 200 lbs which in my opinion is the edge of performance for my RP23. With the PP off it wallows and that's running between 185-200 psi
Thanks for the tip, I'm pretty happy with my setup right now , maybe a CCDB one of these days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Phishin Paul said:
I am running a 100mm stem on my Salty and wondered how it would feel on the Ciclon. I have big climbs in my area so I want to make sure I keep the front wheel down. I am sure there will be some "getting used to" time with the switch. I remember when I went to the Salty it took me a few rides to get used to its different angles. The shop I am working with wants me to go with a 90mm stem (on med frame). I feel that will wont be the way to go for climbing. Hopefully they will let me try a couple different stem sizes to get it right.
Phishin--
Think about getting an adjustable fork. For keeping the front down on big climbs it's the bee's knees. I'm running a Pike 454 UTurnAir & a buddy of mine has a Talus on his ciclon. Both of us use the adjustable travel ALL the time, especially for big climbs. I live in the Pac NW & routinely do 3k+ ft. climbs. When spinning up Ranger Creek, I just crank the fork down to 115 and spin. I run a 90mm stem and it's perfect.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, Pike is the fork for this bike. Being a big boy the 36 comes in handy plowing through chunk. If I was 200lb or less, Pike Pike Pike, there's no other 32mm fork IMO.

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
525 Posts
snowdrifter said:
I agree, Pike is the fork for this bike. Being a big boy the 36 comes in handy plowing through chunk. If I was 200lb or less, Pike Pike Pike, there's no other 32mm fork IMO.
I just ordered up my super dust 17 inch today. I cannot wait :thumbsup: . I have run a TALAS on the Salty and have really liked how it hooks up. I will be moving a King-Mavic 819 from the Salty to the Ciclon so I wanted to stay with QR to keep the costs down and not have to build up a through axel wheel. Right now I have a TALAS on order for the Ciclon. I have heard great things about the Pike but I will stay with TALAS based on my past experiences. Pike is only through not QR right? Do I drop more cake and build up a new CK wheel for through axel?

Did I mention how stoked I am that the frame is ordered? Sweeeeeeeet!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.