Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping around to build a budget Chiquillo. Here's what I've managed to get:

* Frame Size: 19”
* Color : probably red
* Fork: Fox 100x
* Brakes: Avid BB7
* Brake levers:avid
* Cranks: LX Hollowtech 22-34-bash Gamut
* Shifters: XO twisters
* Front Derailleur: Xgen
* Rear Derailleur: XO
* Chain Sram
* Stem: Thomson or Specialized
* Handlebar: Truvativ Carbon
* Seatpost: Thompson 27.2
* Saddle: Sella Italia Flite TT
* Bottom Bracket: integrated
* Cassette: XT
* Headset: Chris King (Red)
* Grips: basic
* Front Tire: Conti Explorer
* Front and Rear Wheel: Xmax XL
* Rear Tire: Larsen TT LUST
* Rear and Front Skewer: Salsa
* Seatpost Collar: basic

Some importants parts are not what I'd like to put on this frame but that's all I can afford for now. What approximate weight do you think I'll hit?

I'm so looking forward to build that one.

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
Between 25-26 lbs. would be my guess.

Mine weighs 25 even with 1x9 X.0/X.9 drivetrain, Juicy 7s, REBA Race and King/819s.

I absolutely love the Brat!

I built it thinking that it would be my 3rd choice to ride behind the Toro and Salty. Well it has moved to the front of the line and I ride it 3 to 1 over the other bikes.

Do you have the frame yet?

D.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
D-Rock said:
I built it thinking that it would be my 3rd choice to ride behind the Toro and Salty. Well it has moved to the front of the line and I ride it 3 to 1 over the other bikes.
D.
Ain't it the truth. I'm going to have to either get faster on my SS or ride the Kona 1x9 more often just so I can keep up!

It really is a great looking bike. I'll probably splurge for one in the future in all liklihood (when they rotate blue to a standard color..hint, hint). I just hate it when old frames still are usable!

Good luck on the build.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys,

I was gonna go for a 1x9 set up as well. I have to say that D-rock's collection just killed myself. But I decided against that as this bike is gonna be my winter bike and XC rocket. I haven't ordered the frame yet and I might go for a custom color.

I have one question though. When you choose that option: can you choose just about anything or not?

I recently really looked into the Ventana line-up and philisophy and I have to say that El Ciclon is a real challenger to my 5 Spot too ( as much as I love it)

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Mr Bling. I do love my Ventanas!

As far as a custom colour, you need an RAL #. The industry standard for powder coating. Unless you want to pay even more $$$ to match something specific.

Here are some charts from Tiger Drylac.

It's best to find a local PC guy and look at the charts in person to see the true colour.

D.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, good to know.

At some point I wanted it "British racing green" but as it is a "budget" built, I might go with the standard red. As I understand it the pics we can see don't do justice to the paint jobs. But oddly enough some reds sparkle a lot and some don't. Hopefully it will nicely match my red headset (how ghey of me!)

Will the 07 colors be different? If so when will they be avalaible.

Sorry for all the stupid-a$$ questions.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
NO!!!!!! stick with the Red El Chiquillo.......Damn that thing is hot......gives me chills whenever I look at my wifes bike and think.......Dang.....I shoulda bought it for myself....;)

·
Baller/Biker
172 Posts
Red is the color!! Luv my Chiquillo

Mr Bling said:
Ok, good to know.

At some point I wanted it "British racing green" but as it is a "budget" built, I might go with the standard red. As I understand it the pics we can see don't do justice to the paint jobs. But oddly enough some reds sparkle a lot and some don't. Hopefully it will nicely match my red headset (how ghey of me!)

Will the 07 colors be different? If so when will they be avalaible.

Sorry for all the stupid-a$$ questions.
I have had my Brat for about 4 Months and I ride everychance I get, they say when my Salt is built i'll forget it....doubt it very seriously.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the Red looks awesome.Has it got a stock sparkle clearcoat? It doesn't look like it but it could be one uber-improvement.

Any ideas about 07 colors? Or as to when they'll be made available?

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Mr Bling said:
Yeah, the Red looks awesome.Has it got a stock sparkle clearcoat? It doesn't look like it but it could be one uber-improvement.

Sorry I'm a sh$tty photographer........but I think the standard red isn't sparkle coated....That's an upcharge.......;)

Attachments

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Mr Bling said:

They've already switched to 07' colors, red or Superdust.

Some interesting choices there for a "budget" build (F100X, X-Max wheels??).

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ventanarama said:
They've already switched to 07' colors, red or Superdust.
Some interesting choices there for a "budget" build (F100X, X-Max wheels??).
[email protected]
Oh, Ok. My bad.

Yeah, the Xmax wheelset is just sitting in the garage (my mud and alpine wheelset) and the Fox comes from a friend. The price is schweet and I wouldn't compromise the overall performance of the bike with a shitty fork.
Good call, Larry.

Like the rest of the peeps here, I'd love to see your final build too.:)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn, I'm gonna order some time next week and still unsure about what color to pick!

Ball burnished or Metalic red with a sparkle clearcoat or gold flakes. Anyhow something even more bling than just plain red.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I'm with guys on that one.

And yet, contrary to what my screenname suggests, I dig the less flashy colors. And the welds look fantastic on the bikes with the ball-burnished finish.You can always put some hues of red or blue with some accesories to make it alive.

My biggest concern is that I certainly will get bored of such a red.Argggh, my head hurts and I need to make a decision before the end of this week.

And if we get down to business:
which one is the more expensive? the extra clearcoat or the ball burnish?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just spoke with Teresa and ......my head is spinning.

Ball-burnish is still in the game but the red can be offered with either a superdust clearcoat (gay pride sparkle) or the SS sparkle clearcoat (silvery sparkle).

D rock, your remark may have been prophetic!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.