Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Curious if anyone else has ran into problems with ghost shifting or chain slip on the el chamuco while pedaling over rough sections?

I looked at my cable routing and it seems to be okay through the travel stroke so I'm wondering if it's a chain tension issue maybe.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this and has found a fix. It's not a huge deal but it can be kinda annoying depending on the ride.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My brothers Pantera..

did this and even though the rear der. cable looked the right length, I re-did it anyway. After this shifting was flawless. Just something minute in the cable length that was getting it in a bind.
Hope this helps, Doug

·
Registered
593 Posts
Chamuco's routing is a little (or a lot) funky, but if you can eliminate problems there (and obviously with the rear derailleur), and still have shifting problems, consider the following:

First, when installing a new chain, back off the romic's preload ring enough to fully compress the shock. That way, you'll always have enough chain, even when bottoming out the bike when cross-geared (admittedly rare).

Second, consider getting a chainguide. I was dropping my chain on every ride when I had first built up the bike, and, after talking to some other single-pivot riders about it, pretty much concluded that chain drop is par for the course in single-pivot land. I installed an evil DRS and have never once since dropped my chain. As a perk, the chain is much more controlled, so shifting front and back improves.

Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts