Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 of our Racers and one of our "Dads" were out on Saturday with the REI Special Programs Group of Corte Madera for Trail Maintainance at China Camp. Don, our "Dad" in charge of the 4 boys and one girl, was pleased to work the switchback area near the south Ranger Station/maintanace yard where he had, uh, honed his skills last year on one of our rides.Three of our workers were returning riders and knew the value of this site for our Winter riding and 2 were new kids who are showing a nice tendancy to pitch in. This work is part of our program to require 8 hours of community work from each of our Club members and, no, mowing my lawn doesn't count.
Tacos were had under the overpass after the work.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
5 of our Racers and one of our "Dads" were out on Saturday with the REI Special Programs Group of Corte Madera for Trail Maintainance at China Camp. Don, our "Dad" in charge of the 4 boys and one girl, was pleased to work the switchback area near the south Ranger Station/maintanace yard where he had, uh, honed his skills last year on one of our rides.Three of our workers were returning riders and knew the value of this site for our Winter riding and 2 were new kids who are showing a nice tendancy to pitch in. This work is part of our program to require 8 hours of community work from each of our Club members and, no, mowing my lawn doesn't count.
Tacos were had under the overpass after the work.
The work you are doing with these kids is so unbelievably solid. I know you've been recognized for your efforts, but I just want to add my praise and recognition. Thanks for truly contributing to our sport, hell...to our world, in a very positive way.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hate to be a downer

I'm sure the work you are doing with the kids is great and is done with the BEST intentions... but it seems like China Camp is now over sanatized... a lot of my favorite rough sections are now just flat and gone and boring..... at what point do we just pave over them entirely so it's 100% smooth....???

I mean no disrespect for you or your work, but I think it's an issue....

·
gimme friction
1,133 Posts
What IS an issue

jhruth said:
I'm sure the work you are doing with the kids is great and is done with the BEST intentions... but it seems like China Camp is now over sanatized... a lot of my favorite rough sections are now just flat and gone and boring..... at what point do we just pave over them entirely so it's 100% smooth....???

I mean no disrespect for you or your work, but I think it's an issue....
is preserving some of the only bike-legal singletrack we have in these parts. If that means armoring trails, improving drainage, and otherwise 'sanitizing' trails to accomplish that, so be it.

These kids are working hard to preserve the presence of mountain bikes in a State Park. No easy task given the history of mountain biking in Marin, and the presence of a very vocal minority of haters.

Sure, we all like technically challenging trails, but frankly, if that is all you are after, there are lots of options in the immediate area (quasi-legal, sure) that will fill your jones, and they are a lot less crowded than trails in CC.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trail "maintenance" is always an issue.

We worked sections of swtichback, which erode every rainy season, and worked to facilitate better drainage. The impression that trails are santized by trailwork is not uncommon especially by riders who are accustomed to a trail in all it's permutations. The "hazards" in a trail simply become familar features and are incidental or little challenges we get to do each time we ride.They are half the fun of riding in the first place.
Not all "challenges" are good for the life of the trail or the surrounding environment. In addition, one man's challenges are another man's hazards. There are sections of Tamarancho which have been made "easier" by trailwork in the last year, notably The Rock Garden, and the Rock Slab. There are numerous examples where rooty areas have ben filled on the climb out of Serpentine. I miss them all but no big whoop.
Trail reinforcement at the beginning of Serpentine above the first bridge is a great example for controversy. It took some of the fun out of it but it managed an extreme amount of drainage from the hill above over a distance of 200 yards. The same thing is slowly going to happen to Alchemist because it is so sloppy. Frankly I will miss the slop in neither one.
I've been riding China Camp now for about 12 years and it is slowly changing. Surely we have all seen the extreme changes on Shorline to encourage access. In the last two years the presence of runners and walkers has taken an extreme jump in numbers. The response by skilled riders is to use the Backside, and ride with different goals on Shoreline, and Bay View. And, finally (sorry I just can't miss the opportunity) a great way to have influence over trail maintenace is to go out and be a part of it. If you are standing there with a tool in your hand and talking to the director of the work you stand a chance to make a difference.
Speaking of Trail Work here is a schedule for such work at Tamarancho:
TAMARANCHO TRAILWORK SCHEDULE
It took volunteer bicyclists over 6 years, to build the 8 mile Tamarancho Bike Loop. It has been recognized as one of the best places to ride in the country (Bike Magazine, Top 15 Places to Ride). Now you can help maintain Tamarancho as a great local singletrack loop.

Riders who frequent the camp in the winter know there is always some maintenance to do when the rains arrive. Last year, the trail work was very successful, in making Broken Dam trail almost "winter proof".

This season, the work will include, the cleaning out of drainage dips, and re-armouring soft spots on some of the other trails in the camp.

Bring boots, and work gloves. We will provide tools, training, snacks and drinks. Ride your bike, or drive to the Ranger station in the center of camp (top of Iron Springs Road). TRAILWORK STARTS AT 10AM PROMPTLY.

Trailwork Dates at Tamarancho:
Sat Dec 10, 2005
Sat Jan 7, 2006
Sat Jan 21, 2006
Sat Feb 4, 2006
Sat Feb 18, 2006

Put them on your calendar now.

For more information contact: Jim Jacobsen, president of BTCM, at [email protected] or 415.488.1443

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thank you ....

Just want to say thank you for the work you do despite my complaining. It looks like it's sort of a necessary evil to keep the trails healthy and open. It's obvious you care about mountain biking and understand the trail issues more than I do....

Anyway - I'll try to make a work day in the future so I can lobby to keep a tree stump here or there !!! :D

John

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Awsome work everyone!! I was riding at China Camp saturday & came across your trail maintance crew. Thought it was Trips for Kids, Paul does alot of work there on his own, till reading this. Keep up the hard work, i'll try to get my son out there for some Tamrancho work.

G

·
I'm sure the work you are doing with the kids is great and is done with the BEST intentions... but it seems like China Camp is now over sanatized... a lot of my favorite rough sections are now just flat and gone and boring..... at what point do we just pave over them entirely so it's 100% smooth....??? I mean no disrespect for you or your work, but I think it's an issue....
Dude, are you for real? China Camp State Parks trails have always been entry level; yes there are a few technical sections but, if that's what you're looking for...you're looking in the wrong area. Just for clarification, I live locally and ride there quite often :yesnod:

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UM, that is why it hit me. I was studying CC history for the upcoming Friends of China Camp mtg on 4/2 and this popped up. It speaks to the fact that while Peacock Gap folk were essential to stopping Gulf Oil developing the area for 30,000 new residents in 1972, it is a State park utilized and support by folks who live all around the Bay Area. Further our newest generation is a big part of this. The EC team just did another trails work day there last month.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.