Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the El Rey for a little while, but keep reading that the frames run a tad small, so I'm looking at the El Capitan perhaps, in the 23" size. I haven't seen any recent reviews of the Capitan, and since there's a lot of new stuff on the market (like the El Rey) I don't know how it matches up... I'm looking for for a good XC bike that I can build up fairly light (not a weight weenie by any means though) ... I don't intend to do any big drops with it...

I'm 6'5" 250 right now...but dropping weight fast, with the goal to be 200-210 soon-ish...and I'm a lot longer in the torso than the legs...

So, is it likely that a 21" El Rey with a setback seatpost would do it for me? Or would I more likely be looking at a 23" El Capitan for my size.

What are the handling/feel differences between the two? I'd be putting a 100mm fork on it.

I'll get out and try to demo sometime soon...as I know that's the only way to know for sure...just looking for an indication.

Also...as a side question related to both bikes...if I'm just doing XC stuff, does it make ANY sense to do the 5" rocker instead of the 4"?

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
I'm 6'3" in height and have about a 34" inseam and the 21" El Capitan I own fits me very nicely ! I have mine setup with 4" rockers and use a 100mm Reba in front and the weight comes to 30.8 lbs with my setup but could easily get it under 30lbs however see no need for my requirements ! The X frame is plenty stiff and gives good standover clearance which is nice for bigger riders ! I would be very interested to know the actual weight savings between the El Rey and El Capitan of the same size and using the same rear shock like the RP23 ! I've also thought about trying the 5" travel setup but am waiting for RS to come out with a Pike 29er U -Turn ! Actually the 4" setup is very nice for most what I do with the Cap but there are times you want to exceed what the Reba feels comfortable handling which a good stiff thru axle fork would help cure ! TIG.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'm 6'1" and longer in the torso than in the legs. I feel my XL El Rey could be a tad longer in the top tube. Don't forget Sherwood can also do custom sizes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i just got off the phone with Sherwood yesterday with a similar question... 23" El Cap or custom 23" El Rey. Basically he said that if you need a 23" frame the custom el rey will be built like an El Cap so there isn't really any weight savings to getting a custom El Rey. I demoed a 21" El Rey and apart from having the seat so high (38" inseam) the bike was great to ride. I would definitely demo a ventana first or take some measurements and call ventana and get their opinion before ordering. It would suck to be on a frame that's too big. Also, it might be better sticking with the El Cap - it's a stronger frame - and just decide whether to get 21" or 23".

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was in the same predicament a little while back. I am 6.4+ (depending how I stand) with 35 inseam, also with long torso and ape long arms, and 215lbs now (230 when I ordered the bike). I spoke to Sherwood too, who suggested a 23" El Cap plus a longish stem, I ended up with a 100mm because I don't like the "bendy" road bike position. I have the bike 3 months now and haven't regretted that decision for a minute. Maybe it doesn't look conventional but I enjoy the stand over and the stiffness. This bike goes like it's on rails, set the sag at 25% as per Sherwood's words and rocks, roots and holes just disappear. Did I say, best decision I made?!

·
change is good
3,112 Posts
I have both

El Capitan is stiffer, the El Rey is lighter. Both ride great. At 200-230 I would be hestitant to take the El Rey on rocky, rooty trails as my only bike. I doubt it would break but if it did my heart would break too.:cryin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts