Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been racing on a Salsa Mamasita for the past two years or so, and doing pretty well, grabbing third in a recent 8-hour.

I am building up a Ventana El Capitan (frame weight is about 6.8 lbs) with a relatively lightweight wheelset (1750g) and I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about using a bike like this for endurance racing.

My thinking is that it's probably fine if my goals are just finishing the race comfortably. Am I right in thinking that it's probably too much bike if I actually want to be competitive?

Thanks in advance for any input...

·
Ride, Sleep, Work
379 Posts
I think that this would be a little to much bike. A little suspension is a NICE thing IMHO, but 5inches of travel is overkill for most endurance races.I raced a 4" travel bike for 2 years and loved it.

If you are shooting for a podium I would go with a lighter frame(Ventana El Rey), wheels (Stans 355 Rims, 240 hubs, and Revolution spokes), RS Reba 100mm, XTR bits.

Your thinking is right on the nose.
My $.02.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Here's My Experience

Here's my experience, make of it what you will.
I endurance raced a Ventana El Rey built w/ an El Patron tubeset, and I9/Arch wheels 2 years ago. The bike weighed @ 26.5 lbs.
I own a Mamasita that was a warranty replacement for a 2005 Dos Niner that I raced for two years.
I did two 8 hr, three 12 hr races, and the Cascade Cream Puff on a Titus RX29er last year.
This upcoming year, I'll likely use the RX 29er for all but two races I'm planning on doing this upcoming season. I'll use the Mamasita for the other two.
I've turned my El Rey into a trail bike - the suspension just isn't efficient enough to make it competitive racing against bikes like the Jet 9, and the RX29 - it squats noticeably into it's travel on steep rough climbs, even on the platform settings of the RP23 [high volume cannister too].
Of the four, In order of preference as endurance racing bikes: RX 29, Mamasita, Dos Niner, El Rey.
Your results may vary. Hope that helps. See ya at Boggs?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
El Rey, maybe, El Cap...not so much. If I were man enough to take endurance racing serious I would definitely be on a Racer X 29er no doubt. Keep an eye on www.chainlove.com as they are popping up a lot at $947 (damn I should have bought one yesterday!)

I have an El Rey and LOVE it...best single bike I have ever owned but it would not be my choice for "racing"

Building up an On One Scandal for racing and cannot wait (ie, gonna try hardtail geared route)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, you guys are pretty much confirming what I was thinking - that I should keep this lovely green El Capitan as my trail bike, and stay with a lighter/more efficient ride for the racing.

Anyway, thanks for the great advice everyone. And yes, jms, see ya at Boggs!

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
I've raced three Cascade Cream Puff 100s. Once each on a 5" 26er, a 4" 29er, and a hardtail 29er.

Had the most fun, and finished feeling the freshest on the 4" 29er (Turner Sultan). The HT might have been a bit faster, but recovery was nearly a full week, and the fun factor was MUCH lower during the last third of the race. Results were identical on all three (winning the rock star-laden "old man" class).

Keeping brand stuff out of it, I would recommend the lightest 3" or 4" 29er you can afford.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.