Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Frank's bike. I saw it at the LBS. Never met Frank before.

I think this bike is gorgeous and nicely set up.

Nice clean example of Rohloff specific dropouts.

Frank's never heard of MTBR.

Frank's prior bike was a 26er hardtail (GT Zaskar)...nothing like a little change of pace.

So if you want a Rohloff, Sherwood can build you up a nice chainstay.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Wow

That is nice:thumbsup:

However do Frank a favor and tell him to ditch the water bottle and get a pack:nono: :eek:

Like to hear a ride report!:)

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Enel said:
Nice clean example of Rohloff specific dropouts...So if you want a Rohloff, Sherwood can build you up a nice chainstay.
First, nice bike.

Second, what is Rohloff-specific about the dropouts? The length/depth of the LH dropout?

Third, looks like Rohloff-specific Galfer rotor...noiice.

Fourth, with everything going on back there I would have opted for a bolt-on/TA hub (if offered by Rohloff).

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first ride didn't go so great because the chain kept dropping (no front chain retention system (yet)). Also, any coasting or backpedaling there was tons of stiction, and the chain got slack and rolled forward. Not the best situation off road.

This seemed to be improving. Frank had to leave the trail after a little ways. He had about a 30 mile dirt road ride planned however. Works great so long as you keep pedaling.

This hub is very tight, just got out of the box, so I'm sure it needs some time to loosen up.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soupboy said:
Second, what is Rohloff-specific about the dropouts? The length/depth of the LH dropout?
You got it, the dropout is longer, so it engages that little knob you can see near the end of the dropout. Eliminates the need for the Speedbone/torque arm? Not sure of the name, the little thing that hangs off the LH CS and looks sort of like an old bendix brake set up.

Frank tells me this is the first Rohloff specific dropout Ventana has produced for the El Cappy. I'd be interested in Sherwood's comments. Sure looks clean.

Hard to believe I just ran across this piece of work when I went down to get a front Ignitor (which totally rock by the way...I'm in love).

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
drooooooollllll.............

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DeeZee said:
However do Frank a favor and tell him to ditch the water bottle and get a pack
Frank has a pack. Ever ride for hours in the desert?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Padre said:
Teehee!:p

so true...
today's 5 hour ride neccessitated 1 full 100oz bladder AND two water bottles.
im with you......had i ridden much longer yesterday the 100 oz definitely would not have been enough.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Many Many times

Pack vs. Water bottle

Don’t want to get into that debate.:madman: I just prefer to carry everything on my back:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
You mean this lil nubbin here? The basic solution for the Rohloff w/ disc brake is absolutely horrific in appearance. The Speedbone is nice. This is more gooderer.

Enel said:
You got it, the dropout is longer, so it engages that little knob you can see near the end of the dropout. Eliminates the need for the Speedbone/torque arm? Not sure of the name, the little thing that hangs off the LH CS and looks sort of like an old bendix brake set up.

Attachments

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Weight weenie?

Any guesses as to the weight of that particular wheel, ready to go? I know the answer, as I weighed this specimen. I was simply amazed.

Standard tube/Ignitor tire/DT 14-15's and brass nips. Rotor/Salsa QR/air, as I said....ready to ride.

Make it a contest.....guess the weight within two ounces and I'll send you a crispy ten dollar bill.

Contest ends in Ed Zachary six hours from now (it's currently noon, Arizona time).

·
This place needs an enema
15,597 Posts
xrmattaz said:
Any guesses as to the weight of that particular wheel, ready to go? I know the answer, as I weighed this specimen. I was simply amazed.

Standard tube/Ignitor tire/DT 14-15's and brass nips. Rotor/Salsa QR/air, as I said....ready to ride.

Make it a contest.....guess the weight within two ounces and I'll send you a crispy ten dollar bill.

Contest ends in Ed Zachary six hours from now (it's currently noon, Arizona time).
Which rim is it?

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Salsa Delgado.

And I'm now bumping it up to twenty bucks, as I see a challenge in MC playin' the game!

Sorry guys, just tore my ankle up the other evening, and SOMETHING in my life needs to provide entertainment at this point!

mikesee said:
Which rim is it?

·
This place needs an enema
15,597 Posts
xrmattaz said:
Salsa Delgado.

And I'm now bumping it up to twenty bucks, as I see a challenge in MC playin' the game!

Sorry guys, just tore my ankle up the other evening, and SOMETHING in my life needs to provide entertainment at this point!
You didn't give 100% detailed info (standard 26" or 29" tube? Ti or steel qr? Rimstrip?). I need details!!

Since it's just a guess, I'll say 3621g, or 8.909lbs.

MC

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Damn Mike......

OK.....standard 29er Bontrager three dollar tube, steel Salsa QR and Velox rim strip.

Nine pounds??? I'm not ordering one from you any time soon! hehe.

(I thought you were out there with Rudi and Chester....what gives?)

mikesee said:
You didn't give 100% detailed info (standard 26" or 29" tube? Ti or steel qr? Rimstrip?). I need details!!

Since it's just a guess, I'll say 3621g, or 8.909lbs.

MC

1 - 20 of 30 Posts