Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sherwood:

A few open questions for you since I'm sure other's may have the same.

1. Pricing?

2. Availability?

3. What is the tire clearance?

4. Do you require the X brace frame, or would it be available with a traditional diamond?

5. Shock stroke and I to I?

6. Finally, and most important: Now that you have a little time on this bike, how does it compare to a 5 inch Saltamontes? What do you think it does better, and worse? How will El Capitan fit onto your personal quiver of bikes? In other words, what trails/ conditions do you see yourself really preferring to ride it on/in? What trails/conditions do you see it suffering in?

How would you rate the overall plushness of the rear compared to a 26er? Many say a 3 inch travel 29er is equivalent to a 5 inch travel 26er.

I wait with interest for your response.

Eric

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sherwood's reply via email

"I am not sure I am ready to give a detailed
just yet as I only have six rides on it so far. I like it a lot, but I
haven't ridden it on anything other than buff single track and fast
baby
heads (in our Wednesday night race series) so far so my review would be
seriously skewed, and quite frankly not much use to people who don't
ride
this type of terrain. I have taken my Saltamontes out of my bike
stable for
now, and plan on spending the next 6 months on El Capitan exclusively.
So I
should be able to give a detailed interpretation in a couple of months.
But so far, this bike rips.

MSRP is $2095, comes with quad bearings, and heavy duty double gusseted
swingarm, in X-brace frame configuration. I can build traditional
double
diamond style with butted top and down tubes if you want for an
additional
$200 semi-custom upcharge, but stock they will be stout x-frames as I
have
no control over potential customer's height, weight, or riding style.

We built 15 in our first run, and have sold five of those and used five
on
our demos...so I think we have five left to sell (19-1, 21-3, 23-1). I
did
not produce any 17" frames other than the one for me in that first
batch and
of course I already have orders for that size too. So supply is
limited
right now. I am kind of trying to see where it is going to gage how
many to
build in the next batch.

I have not gotten my hands on a set of exi-2.3's yet, but I eyeballed
them
pretty hard at Sea Otter, and I am quite sure they will fit, I'm just
not
sure by how much.

Shock is 7 7/8" i2i x 2" stroke giving El Capitan a low compression
ratio of
2:1 which should keep shock pressures low for heavier riders.

Post this if you like.

Best regards,
Sherwood"

Thanks for producing the bike, and your honest evaluation.

Eric

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had a week on mine...

..and I'm very impressed.
It's plush, stiff and just begs for some rough trade.
Exiwolfs fit fine, and clearance is good with all the tyres we have available at the moment. The frame is real strong which means a bit heavier than we are used to, around 7.5lb, but the bike doesn't ride heavy and is amazingly flickable and chuckable. I've got mine built up with a Maverick and Rohloff and it comes in at 31lb with heavy LX cranks and BB, but I could get it under 30lb if I wanted to, and around 27-28 if I biffed the Rohloff and spent up large, which I wouldn't want to do.
This bike will ride up anything and is the best aggressive climber I've ever riden, the combination of longish chainstays, steep seat stay and a quick front end makes it a great techinical climber, better than any other 29'er I've owned or riden. The steepish front end makes for a quick handling bike, but it's a very fast decender, and gives tremendous confidence.
It's plush, and even with the RP3 bobs a little more than I'm used to, (we are talking about 1/8-1/4" at the shock) but I'm still playing with the Fox and it may be I've just got lazy with my pedaling as well. I've been riding 29 hardtails and an Asylum over the last three years so my perception of how much bob is acceptable is a little skewed at the moment. But the ride is amazing - super stiff and plush. My mate has an X5 and in my opinion the Capitan is a significantly better ride in every aspect, except for big launches (he's built up strong wheels, and I'm on Delgardos and not that brave).

In response to your questions:

In other words, what trails/ conditions do you see yourself really preferring to ride it on/in? What trails/conditions do you see it suffering in?

I would say that this bike is a blast to ride on anything, but the rougher the track, the bigger the grin. The Rohloff makes mine harder work up long steady fireroads than it needs to be, so for me I'd prefer rough and techincal trails. It's geometry is quick enough to handle woodsy type riding, and big wheels make it stable on fast decents etc, etc (you already know the 29er drill I'm sure)

How would you rate the overall plushness of the rear compared to a 26er? Many say a 3 inch travel 29er is equivalent to a 5 inch travel 26er.

This is a highly subjective question, but from my perspective, I'd say the Captian feels like it's got a lot more than it's 4", and I for one couldn't imagine needing more. It's 4" feels much better than the 6" on the aforementioned X5, but it had a Romic and may well ride better with an RP3.

I've only had the bike for a week, but have taken it over as many of my 'someday I'll clean that' obsticals that are handy, and several of them were cleaned first attempt with the Capitan, after years of trying with other 29ers, and (in the distant past) 26ers.

That little bit of extra travel over it's fs peers, and the plushness and stiffness, makes this bike an inspiring ride..

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot. That was just the sort of feedback I was looking for. The comparison to the Asylum was also helpful. Got any photos you want to post?

·
Registered
44 Posts
El C pix

SingleSpeedSlave said:
BryceB, can you post up some picks of your El Capitan to drool at and how did you get a frame so fast????

Thanks!
These pix aren't too flash, and the bike is dirty, but you'll get the idea...
I had originally thought I'd replace my Asylum with a Lenz, but when I heard Ventana were thinking about building a 29'er, I was interested as a friend had built up an X5 recently and I was impressed with the bike. To cut a long story short, I ended up without a bike unexpectedly and needed a new ride before our summer ran out, and even though the Lenz Leviathan has had good reviews and I don't think you could go wrong with one, I thought I'd go with a bit of extra travel and I liked the robustness of the El Capitan. Also Lenz were really slack about responding to emails, even though I said whatever I was going to buy, the order would be for two, and in the end I felt that if they weren't interested in responding on a possible sale, what would they be like in the event of problems? Ventana on the other hand, were prompt to respond, had the answers on hand and were a real pleasure to deal with and delivered on time and went out of their way (in a very busy pre Sea Otter week) to get the frames to me asap.
I ordered two 19" frames from the first batch Sherwood built up, and they arrived here (New Zealand) on your Sea Otter Saturday after being sent your Monday (our Sunday and Monday respectively), and first bike was finished and ready to ride on (our) Monday. The other frame is in the box waiting for it's owner to come back from holiday. It will be a near identical build to this one, ie Maverick, Rohloff, but different brakes.
After nearly two weeks on the bike, I can say I'm extremely pleased with it, and I've found the bike to perform beyond my expectations. It just wants to find a rougher line, or boldy go where no bike should go...
It wheelies beautifully and feels extraordinarily well balanced, much more so than the aforementioned X5. When we swapped mounts, the difference was marked, and we both agreed that the El Capitan felt superior to the X5, to the point where the owner said it was good enough to tempt him into 29" wheels! (Something I thought I'd never hear from him!)
The bike loves technical climbs and the combination of longish chainstays, a steepish headangle and a massive 14.5" BB height (enhanced by a 34 tooth front sprocket) gives this bike an almost freakish ability to climb up and over things. I'm regularily cleaning obsticals that I've never been able to in the past, and I'm still a long way from really getting to grips with the bike.
The bike weighs roughly 1.5 lbs more than the Asylum but while you don't notice the extra weight, you do notice that the bike just feels stronger which gives you a lot more confidence to tempt fate and go for the hard option/line. I love that...

Attachments

·