Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would love some feedback on this possible setup. I'm in the market, this was more than i was planning but coulnd be done. i'm 6'5", aggresive cc and enduro.:madman:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
650b

I have very much considered a 650b, I have an old norweigan city bike that runs 584's that i ride often. Chasing down the tires on the internet is a hassle and I'm not sure I willing to go there with a bike I've been saving for for a year. I know about the panaracers (pacenti) but I think i'd like more than one choice.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
At 6'5" I'd definitely sell you a El Capitan. Especially with the description of the type of riding you're looking to do. I set a Cap. up with the exact setup you're talking about for a guy in Tahoe and he ride the regular Tahoe trails every weekend and he's had zero issues in the past year with his bike. Says it made mountain biking FUN again for him, being on such a stout ride.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I would second 29 at that stature. Sounds like a kick-ass setup to me, I think that the world of 5" 29r trailbikes is somewhat lacking (not that I follow that closely, I know Lenz has a good offering there too).
I think that the only concern is getting the big wheels and fork/hub interface stiff enough to live up to the legendary holmes-like rigidity that the Ventana offers. Hand-built is a must, 20mm if not 15mm hub up front!

Keep us posted!

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Internal14 said:
At 6'5" I'd definitely sell you a El Capitan. Especially with the description of the type of riding you're looking to do. I set a Cap. up with the exact setup you're talking about for a guy in Tahoe and he ride the regular Tahoe trails every weekend and he's had zero issues in the past year with his bike. Says it made mountain biking FUN again for him, being on such a stout ride.
Owning a Capitan...........I can agree on the stout frame anyway of course all three of my Ventanas have been stout frames ! I think in order to do this frame justice it deserves a 20mm thru axle fork and some nice strong and stiff wheels ( for us bigger peeps anyway ) !
I'd really like to try the new coming Reba with the thru axle option on mine........ooh how nice it would be to have a set of I9 wheels as well ! :)

I'm real curious of the 650b option as well..........but as mentioned the component options are limited to only very few choices now ! TIG.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Either or, I think you will be fine. The advantage of the Bastardo is it has more raked out geometry like a El Ciclon and is more of a dialed 5" bike with traditional 5" geometery for better descents and technical riding, just lightly spread out more in the rear (which is also perfect for a taller guy). The El Rey has steeper head and seat angles more like a XC bike, putting you farther forward on the bike, but the idea is with the bigger wheels it doesn't matter as much (which I agree with) as they roll over things easier. Both are good options. The wheelbase is nearly similar between the slightly more swept out front of the Bastardo and the 1/2" longer chainstays of the El Rey, but on the slightly larger tires. If you are planning on a XL size, the Bastardo is slightly better for 6'5" guy with the slightly longer seatube (22") about perfect for a taller guy with a regular size torso. But the El Rey is close as well at 21.4". If you are truly more AM then I would probably go Bastardo, run either the 130mm White Brothers thru axle fork or a 26er fork of your choice, lots of good options. I ride 90-95% XC but would still choose the Bastardo personally if definitely sticking with 5". I am not overly scared of the tire or rim selection, the Neomoto and Nevegal coming out very shortly are the two best AM/XC tires on the market IMO. If you are light and 6'5 I still think the awesome tubless-ready 355 Stans rims (or Sun Ringle 27mm) equalizers will hold up fine if you are not a fan of the Blunts. If I had the choice the decision much like yours is very close, but I would choose the Bastardo personally even with the limited AM, but enough for me to choose a definitive 5" bike. Price is similar between the two, the 5" rockers are abut $150 and the quad bearing upgrade (that I would do) of the Bastardo is $150 or so I think too...

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
1971tch said:
i weigh about 240, the shock options are vanilla r, rp23(+ 125), dhx 5 coil(+125), any suggestions?
I really depends on the type of riding. If I were 240 with my type of riding.....I'd go PUSHED DHX Coil or Cane Creek DB. I weigh 200 with a RP23 (185-205 psi) on my Ciclon......I often knock the o-ring off the shock shaft......meaning a hard bottom out. I also here the PUSHED Vanilla RC works well on Ventana frames

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I weigh the same as you and won't be going back to air cannisters unless I end up under two bills. The DHX provides great small bump sensitivity in combination with a progressive end stroke, something that I wasn't able to get my air can to do. It was either great small bump compliance with consistant bottoming, or low-sag, choppy small stuff with no bottoming.

PUSH does indeed do a good job with the DHX - I ran one on my X5 and now on my Terremoto. CCDB is probably a great shock if you are a fiddler and have the $$$ for it.

edit: Then again, all bikes are different, with different suspension curves and properties. Perhaps someone knowledgable on the El Cap will post up here. I only say this because I know the TM has a falling end-stroke, whereas my X5 was rising at the end, all of which required a re-PUSH.
I am sure PUSH would also discuss this with you prior to your order with Ventana in order to ensure that you get the best ride out of your bike for your riding style and conditions - they have all the suspension data known to man (or close, lol).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my biggest probelm with this bike is that its looking like it,s going to be at least a $1000 more than the budget my girlfriend and i agreed on. I'm going to have to find some way to cut some cost somewhere i just don't like the thought of doing that with the suspension or the wheels so there's not much left to cut and i'm not going to put a deore drivetrain on a ventana

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, just looked at the White bros site, $900 for the fluid 135. I'm probally going to order the frame and have to wait awhile toe build it unless i get lucky on ebay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.