Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly current El Capitan that I bought used and somehow ended up with QR dropouts. I use a Hope hub which makes for a really strong setup as far as QR goes and I usually ride really rooty, slick, and tight trails so flex hasn't been really an issue, but getting ready to head out west where there is much more bite on the slickrock. I'm debating a couple of things, one is should I take this bike set up 140/140 or take my older but well used Kona Process 111. The Kona is lower with better geo, but its 7 years old now and been rode hard. The El Cap is in perfect shape, pedals amazing, and the suspension is smooth as silk not to mention much more of it, but the geo isn't as slacked and the bike is a bit tall. If I do take the Ventana is the thru axle noticeably better/stiffer/more reliable? I already have the ends to make the Hope hubs work, so thats not an issue. Would anyone have a set for sale? Normally I ride a Specialized Enduro in that type of trail, but my son is riding it this trip (its a large, the other 2 bikes are XL and would be way too big for him as the L is kinda big on him). The big ride will be TWE

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why not just buy thru-axle dropouts from Ventana and be done with it? I am also quite surprised that a "fairly current" El Cap has QR dropouts. I am pretty sure that bike has had thru-axle dropouts since the big redesign in 2012, when I bought one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.