Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rolled down to St. George this past weekend for Wasea04's wedding. The Sanchez boys got together for Dos Mesas on Saturday and Goose on Sunday. Slim showed up with his brand new Copper DW Sultan. He let me throw a leg over for a few miles on both trails. What a treat. I've always been pretty outspoken about my lack of interest in the whole 29'er fad, but my eyes were opened. I've always thought that the Highline was a mountain goat on the climbs! The Sultan climbs like raped long horn sheep. The DW Sultan is an absolute rocket on the flats and climbs. Power transfer was super efficient, with little or no bob. Riding all my my old technical ups and downs felt like cheating on this bike. The 29 inch wheels really smooth out the rough stuff. I'm sold!

Conclusion: If you are a talentless rider, or new to the sport, run to the bikestore immediately and purchase a 29'er. It will give you an edge over all your riding buddies who have been shaming you on all the technical moves.

Build Highlights:

2010 Copper XL DW Sultan
Hope X2 Brakes 183 front 160 rear
XTR everything
Edge CF stem and handlebar
RS Reba fork
I-9's laced to STans(Tsheezy's old wheelset)
GD turbo post
King stem and BB

Some Stoke:

1. Sultan
2. El C on the Curiak Roller
3. Slim making the climb look effortless on Gooseberry Mesa

Attachments

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
Don't do this to me. I thought I knew which bike I wanted to get this year and now I have another options to look at. Sheeeesh!!!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
El C you look right at home on the Sultan, you know you want one, and I agree the DW's are for the talentless hacks.

Takes some serious skilz to ride the antiquated, squating TNT design tho

edit: tell your buddy to ditch the Rampaperthins and get some 2.4 Ardents!

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still too young to own a 29'er. I"m only 38. Once my eyesight and balance go down the toilet, I'll be ready for one. Estimated age of purchase, 47 years old. ;)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,873 Posts
Not as ProCore as a Mtber 123 recommendation, but I suppose it'll do.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
El Chingon said:
I'm still too young to own a 29'er. I"m only 38. Once my eyesight and balance go down the toilet, I'll be ready for one. Estimated age of purchase, 47 years old. ;)
Hate to tell you El C, but you won't have to wait that long.:rolleyes:

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
El Chingon said:
The Sultan climbs like raped long horn sheep
Wow, now that is a quote I wouldn't have thought to expect about the Sultan. Nice :thumbsup:

I guess in some sense that means that you liked it... just guessing on the livestock violation in the quote :D Am I the only one getting tidybeard sheep flashbacks :skep:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
El Chingon said:
Im 47....had a 29er ss :nono: too slow on the climbs for my hood. I think I'll stick with my spot/flux bikes. FLAME ON :D

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I've had an O2, a Burner, a Spot and an RFX - the Sultan is the only thing left in the mountain stable. At 50 and talentless, it's saved the sport for me.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
tg said:
Im 47....had a 29er ss :nono: too slow on the climbs for my hood. I think I'll stick with my spot/flux bikes. FLAME ON :D
I think the ss part of the equation had something to do with your slow climbing up out of Eagle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.