Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
One ring to mash them all
2,595 Posts
I think I'm the only one that didn't get faster on a new bike.o_O
I'm definitely slower on my new, slacker HT. It's my first boost frame, and my heel rubs on the derailleur cable. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Reactions: RS VR6

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went from 2015 "trail" HT geometry with 68* head angle to 2021 XC HT geo with a 68.5* head angle. I was/am SIGNIFICANTLY faster with the 68.5* HA.

Therefore, the 0.5 degree steeper head angle is faster.

It definitely had nothing to do with the lighter overall weight, lower rolling resistance tires, 29er wheels, improved shifting and gear range, better brakes, bar width that actually fits on my trails, better fork, etc.

·
Registered
I'm one wheel smarter than riding a unicycle.
344 Posts
My head tube angle got somewhere around 5 degrees slacker, give or take, and I'm nowhere near as fast on the full suspension as I am on my hardtail.

Both have the same tires and wheels. Both run a 2x drivetrain; one 10 speed, the other 11 speed. Same length cranks, same chain rings.

The newer bike is a large, so it's bigger and longer than the old school geo medium hardtail, and although I feel more planted in curves I don't think it's as quick to maneuver. The handlebars are wider, so I have to slow down and focus on fitting them between trees or I'll lose fingers. The newer bike has hydraulic brakes and the hardtail has mechanical brakes, so I should gain something small at least there. They both weigh 28 some odd pounds.

Besidesfor the already mentioned lack of correct suspension settings as I'm getting that worked out, I can't really see why it's slower and figure it's mostly due to the vast difference in feel between the two.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I'm definitely slower on my new, slacker HT. It's my first boost frame, and my heel rubs on the derailleur cable. Yeah, that's the ticket.
I went from a 20lb 100mm HT to a 27lb 120/130mm full suspension in 2019. I honestly thought I was going to crush my DH times. I still can't break the PR's I set with the HT from like 2016.

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is the first time I've ever used purple anodized valve stems instead of the regular boring plated brass Stans valves. Could definitely be the vale stems. I'll change out the valve stems on my other bikes and report back.
I converted my fat wheels to tubeless using those same valves in orange and can confirm I was faster the next ride. My pedals and and grip lock rings are orange too, so there are too many variables to confirm it was just the valves. Science is hard.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just rode the trail with my Spark and beat my best time on the hardtail by a minute and two seconds. I shaved 9 full minutes off my best lap with the Spark.

I think I'm getting closer to "dialed in" with the suspension, and it was super crazy feeling the connection with the bike... I started off with the intention to just take it easy, but after the first section the bike started trash talking me and told me it could probably get me a PR if I stopped lollygaggin it.

Reactions: Suns_PSD

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I didn’t get faster either. It’s taken months of fine tuning to get to a similar speed I was at before.
Haha...same here. I felt like I couldn't get my bar position right. It took me a while and a few handlebars to get my fit right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been riding either a '15 Trek X-caliber and old 26er FSR Stumpjumper the last 3 months when I started tracking rides via Strava.
I don't want to pop your bubble, but it's basic statistics. You dont have a large enough sample size. The 3 months is the issue. There aren't enough rides in the data set. It is statistically very easy to climb up into the top #2 or #3 slots because the times are probably not very close together. Most likely the ride times are over a minute or 2 between lengths. Very easy to fit a new ride in between the current #2 and #3 slot. Once you get 100 or 200 rides in the data set, getting to the top #2 or #3 gets harder becasue they are so close together. You really need to beat the #2 time to get on the leaderboard. Please dont take offense. Take a math class. And keep riding.

·
monster member
1,030 Posts
Modern geometry IS a big deal! Absolutely. It will get you PRs, solve world hunger, and cure coughs, colds, sore holes, and pimples on the pecker.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm being serious in saying this...

I ordered two cheesey bean and rice burritos from Taco Bell yesterday around lunch. One ended up being huge, and it was all beans and nothing else. I ate it anyway.

I had a ton of gas later in the day when I took the ride, and after I finished the lap, when I relaxed a bit, I let out several huge farts that I wasn't aware I was holding in during my ride. Isn't gas lighter than air? Couldn't I have received some sort of impact on my weight as all the gas in my innards was trying to rise? I'm guessing from the size and sound of the farts I was probably floating along the trail to the tune of two or three less pounds, which probably helped me score the PR.

My dad told me once about a time he had a meeting with a contractor on a job site where he had to hold a fart for more than an hour, and when the meeting was over, instead of turning his engine on when he got in his truck, he just farted out the window and it pushed him all the way home.

So now after my performance boost from having all that gas I'm thinking I need to "bean up" before a ride and practice releasing strategic bursts of flatulance to help push me along the trail.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts