Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding either a '15 Trek X-caliber and old 26er FSR Stumpjumper the last 3 months when I started tracking rides via Strava. I don't really pay attention to my PB's or segment times very much but I do note it if I happen to get a PB on a particular segment.

I impulse bought a Polygon Siskiu D7 (Medium in 27.5) and it came in on Friday. Spent Fri/Sat setting the bike up since it was raining and the trails were too wet to ride.(165mm XT crank, PNW 125mm dropper since the 150 was too big, checking torques, setting up tubeless, playing with air pressure and rebound settings). 67/75.5 with a 1157 wheelbase isn't bleeding edge as far as modern geometry is concerned but certainly a big set up from what I was riding. I've ridden "modern" bikes but never for prolonged periods of time or in any measured capacity. Mainly parking lot rides, short segment rides to try a buddy's new ride, or when sessioning a feature. I liked the way they rode but didn't think it was that big of a departure from what I was riding. I get on a bike and I get used to how it rides pretty quick and just ride it.

Sunday the skys cleared and the trails opened up. After working around the house all morning I had time in the afternoon to put in a medium effort shake down ride just shy of 13 miles. It was a mix of smooth flow XC, chattery rooty/rocky high speed sections, and slow speed technical features. I listened for clunks creaks and loose things. I fiddled around with the rebound a bit moved my saddle around a bit and thought the initial test run was very positive. I really liked the way the bike rode. I dabbed twice on technical uphills I normally clear on the 29er though one was a clear miss-shift. There wasn't a single segment where I thought I really put forth anything close to max effort so I didn't think much about my ride when I uploaded it to Strava. Didn't even look at it beyond uploading it.

Today I logged in and was shocked to see I set PBs on several segments yesterday. In fact I set PBs on 12 of 25 segments. The fact I did it with what felt like very minimal effort without really pushing the bike or myself very hard is the most shocking thing about seeing all those gold medals on my ride from yesterday. I would have been shocked to see 2-3 bronze medals in my segments let along 12 PBs. The gold segments were not just the downhill focused segments though that made up a good 2/3rds of them. Really eye opening to say the least. Maybe people know what they are talking about with this whole modern geometry thing. Maybe I just had an exceptionally good day? Either way I like the new bike.

·
Trail Ninja
6,167 Posts
The D7 doesn't even have modern geo. The T7 does though. Crediting the wrong things, IMO.

Too many different variables, like the difference in components. Tires by themselves are transformative. Susp and brakes too.

Reactions: stripes

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,070 Posts
The D7 doesn't even have modern geo. The T7 does though. Crediting the wrong things, IMO.

Too many different variables, like the difference in components. Tires by themselves are transformative. Susp and brakes too.
And color of bike. OP what color is both of these bikes? Is one black?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I've been riding pretty steadily since I began at 42 years of age 7 years ago and each bike is much faster than the previous. The earlier jumps were really huge.

Had a quite modern Foxy 29 I really enjoyed but wanted longer chainstays so tracked down a bike very similar in geo, but with longer chainstays, and had the same experience as you. Basically good effort (but not all out) resulted in over half of my segments resulting in PBs, and this happened as I hit all of my usual spots, over and over. Pretty cool really. I will say that except for the sound of the wind it doesn't feel like I'm going much faster.

Swapping from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke dirt bike does the same thing, doesn't feel faster but definitely is.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Back to back, I’m faster in areas on my 13’ rigid hardtail, I am faster some segments on my 2020 top fuel.

What matters is how fast you are overall, and for that you would need multiple all out efforts on full loops or long stretches with similar fitness and weather to even start to use Strava to compare. And also look at HR for the given effort.

New bikes are fun and fun is fast.

One of my PRs on the rigid was a downhill with lots of repeated drops. Go figure... I’ve hit it full gas about 30 times on various full suspensions. And with them all broken, and forced to ride a rigid... I go an Top ten it in a 19 pound rigid with a 71 degree HA. It was sketchy AF and I let it all hang out.

Sometimes you just chalk it up to improving as a rider. Too many people credit the bike. Bikes don’t really go faster(except for wheel size), they make you more confident to let yourself go faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,379 Posts
New bike effect. It takes a lot of data to reliably say whether something is faster or not. I see people "PR" on ridiculous stuff all the time that makes no sense. Combination of conditions, their body's cycles, etc. Good luck, but I think it's going to take more than one ride.

Reactions: stripes

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
What you experienced is what I call “new bike fever.” You’re always faster on a new bike, for at least the first week. It’s a real thing. 😉

All kidding aside, I doubt it can be attributed to the new geometry. There are way too many other factors. Conditions of the trails being one of the main ones. Tires another big one.

Case in point, I took my first ride on my new Kona Honzo ESD yesterday. I was riding a familiar downhill segment that I am currently in 3rd place on Strava, using my old Honzo which wasn’t as slack as the ESD. Just riding the ESD once, I’m sure it’s going to be the faster of the two bikes — but it didn’t happen yesterday. The trail was really dry and loose compared to the tackiness I experienced on my PR two weeks prior. I would have wiped out had I tried to go any faster, and since there are a lot of sharp corners on this trail, even with a superior bike I could not get a PR yesterday.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And color of bike. OP what color is both of these bikes? Is one black?
This is the first time I've ever used purple anodized valve stems instead of the regular boring plated brass Stans valves. Could definitely be the vale stems. I'll change out the valve stems on my other bikes and report back.

·
Registered
I'm one wheel smarter than riding a unicycle.
344 Posts
I've ridden a 2009 Niner hardtail for years. I recently got a 2018 Scott Spark. I'm still getting used to the difference in the two and I'm still working on getting the right suspension setup on the new bike. Two max efforts, one on each bike within a week or two of each other... I was 8 minutes faster on a lap with the hardtail than on the full suspension.

That hardtail whips around and climbs fast. The newer bike feels really long and sluggish, but it's way more comfortable and better suited to the occasional trip to the chunkier stuff with more downhill riding.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,070 Posts
This is the first time I've ever used purple anodized valve stems instead of the regular boring plated brass Stans valves. Could definitely be the vale stems. I'll change out the valve stems on my other bikes and report back.

View attachment 1925729
Good to hear your open to not leaving any options on the table in solving this mystery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been riding either a '15 Trek X-caliber and old 26er FSR Stumpjumper the last 3 months when I started tracking rides via Strava. I don't really pay attention to my PB's or segment times very much but I do note it if I happen to get a PB on a particular segment.

I impulse bought a Polygon Siskiu D7 (Medium in 27.5) and it came in on Friday. Spent Fri/Sat setting the bike up since it was raining and the trails were too wet to ride.(165mm XT crank, PNW 125mm dropper since the 150 was too big, checking torques, setting up tubeless, playing with air pressure and rebound settings). 67/75.5 with a 1157 wheelbase isn't bleeding edge as far as modern geometry is concerned but certainly a big set up from what I was riding. I've ridden "modern" bikes but never for prolonged periods of time or in any measured capacity. Mainly parking lot rides, short segment rides to try a buddy's new ride, or when sessioning a feature. I liked the way they rode but didn't think it was that big of a departure from what I was riding. I get on a bike and I get used to how it rides pretty quick and just ride it.

Sunday the skys cleared and the trails opened up. After working around the house all morning I had time in the afternoon to put in a medium effort shake down ride just shy of 13 miles. It was a mix of smooth flow XC, chattery rooty/rocky high speed sections, and slow speed technical features. I listened for clunks creaks and loose things. I fiddled around with the rebound a bit moved my saddle around a bit and thought the initial test run was very positive. I really liked the way the bike rode. I dabbed twice on technical uphills I normally clear on the 29er though one was a clear miss-shift. There wasn't a single segment where I thought I really put forth anything close to max effort so I didn't think much about my ride when I uploaded it to Strava. Didn't even look at it beyond uploading it.

Today I logged in and was shocked to see I set PBs on several segments yesterday. In fact I set PBs on 12 of 25 segments. The fact I did it with what felt like very minimal effort without really pushing the bike or myself very hard is the most shocking thing about seeing all those gold medals on my ride from yesterday. I would have been shocked to see 2-3 bronze medals in my segments let along 12 PBs. The gold segments were not just the downhill focused segments though that made up a good 2/3rds of them. Really eye opening to say the least. Maybe people know what they are talking about with this whole modern geometry thing. Maybe I just had an exceptionally good day? Either way I like the new bike.

Are your trails faster? Mine are way faster since the pandemic hiking boom, much more packed down, wider, and with better sight lines. So maybe that's part of the explanation?

·
Papa T
273 Posts
IMHO, if the new bike HA is slacker than you other bikes, you probably were faster. You do not have as much weight on the front tire. This means less resistance and there fore less effort required to ride your normal sections of trail. The difference in HA effect is easily felt by having a height adjustable fork and switching it to different positions on climbs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts