Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a nice little rock staircase option right below the sandpit at the bottom of mudflaps at hawes. i only noticed it because i saw someone else's tire marks on the downside
although i certainly wouldn't attempt hitting it at full speed after blasting down mudflaps. any amount of air would send you crashing right into the boulder 15 feet beyond

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
You've ridden past it.

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i never noticed the mfer before,, but the fact that i was able to take one look at it and then clean it on the first try, tells me that i've crossed over that plateau of fear that caused me to bypass everything.
still think i'll get both shocks rebuilt first though

·
EDR
10,103 Posts
It looks like one of the lines I've probably closed off half a dozen times on my way up.

Look I like some tech as much as anybody but over the past 4-5 years lots of short cuts and off trail knick knacks at Hawes have begun to give us a bad rap. I close them off out there when I find them. Strava be damned!

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
the approach is too sandy and the entry too jagged for full speed, i carry speed off the dh then use the berm to get a nice rolling pace over it. I think my friends and I were the first to ride it as one of my buds built it up...at least 6 yrs ago.

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think I've ever ridden down mudflaps.
going down is kinda like below the towers on national except you're accelerating a lot faster on looser ground and you REALLY have to line up the each drop
ive yet to clear going up it,, ive made it to the midway point once but that was before 2012 monsoons. its gotten looser each year.
I know i need to hug the right wall on the bottom 1/3 but can seem to maintain it. i need to ride with someone who can do it So i can figure it out

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
I was in the same boat until I rode it down ONCE a few months ago. Not too much fun in that direction IMO.
we are talking about Upper Mudflaps. its not an easy climb, but the top is worth it. Road to Tower Trail, around Tower to the trials up there, then down pretty much all the way to Secret is a fun route esp if you like some rough spots. Also, if you start at the base of Mine and climb to the top of Tower, you get a really nice long climb that only has a few really rough sections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts