Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
born again
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you get when you combine two great rides--- Five Drainages and Esmeralda Loop? The Eight Drainages Ride of course!

Here's what the ride looks like on the map. Red is road. Blue is singletrack. Green Trails 209 Mt. Stuart

It's a BIG CCW loop with a tiny bit (one mile) of road to connect the two rides and about 10 miles of road at the end to get back to the beer (car).

The premise of this ride is simple: big steep technical climbs (averaging 2000' ) followed by big steep technical descents (averaging 2000' ). Repeated over and over for 10 hours. :madman: Up / Down Up / Down all day. My ears actually popped at the bottom of Eldorado..

Here's Monte descending Bean Creek

Lupine is a bean.

Climbing again up Beverly Turnpike Trail. The pass to Eldorado Creek (Drainage 5) is at extreme left of picture. Not bad for scenery me thinks..

After we finished the Five Drainages ride (6.5 hours) we started up the Esmeralda Loop at 4 pm. The last big climb of the day ends at Fortune Creek Pass..

Looking back at Iron Peak (just right of center) and the climb up Esmeralda from the Pass...

Monte at the Pass looking pretty happy knowing we have the ride in the bag--- only 800' of climbing after this descent!

View north from Fortune Creek Pass

Dropping into Drainage 7 (Fortune Creek). Yet another sweet DH!

The ride finishes with the DeRoux Creek descent, which is absolutely five star.

Be sure to have a cold one waiting at the car when you finish this ride, you'll have earned it. The statistics for the loop are somewhat staggering--- 36 miles (26 singletrack) / 8700' climbing / 10 hours car to car /

This ride flowed together better than I had imagined. Both of us did pretty well I think, especially for a couple of old farts. I drank nearly 300 ounces of water during the ride. Bruiser could have gotten by with one bottle but... Getting in so much quality riding in a day seems like it should be illegal... :nono:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hats off to ya...

gearz said:
The statistics for the loop are somewhat staggering--- 36 miles (26 singletrack) / 8700' climbing / 10 hours car to car /

This ride flowed together better than I had imagined. Both of us did pretty well I think, especially for a couple of old farts. I drank nearly 300 ounces of water during the ride. Bruiser could have gotten by with one bottle but... Getting in so much quality riding in a day seems like it should be illegal... :nono:
10 hours on the saddle... I can see where 5 drainages would be fun doing, but I don't quite see the "flow" of adding Esmeralda to the 5 drainages. But, hats off to Gearz and Monte for being Da Men! :thumbsup: And no, even a real camel wouldn't be able to go 10 hours, 36 miles with 8,700 ft of climbing with one bottle of water ;)

·
Ride up to ride down.
62 Posts
Knew I should have PM'd you before 9 PM

We'll have to get together on that ride sometime. I haven't spent enough time over there and that ride would entail the majority of the rides in 1! Its way to easy and quick to get to for me not to do it sometime.

·
born again
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Bruiser said:
10 hours on the saddle... I can see where 5 drainages would be fun doing, but I don't quite see the "flow" of adding Esmeralda to the 5 drainages. But, hats off to Gearz and Monte for being Da Men! :thumbsup: And no, even a real camel wouldn't be able to go 10 hours, 36 miles with 8,700 ft of climbing with one bottle of water ;)
Five Drainages is an exceptional ride by itself for sure. You should do it. It's like Miller Peak on steroids. Two big climbs and two big descents in one day. Esmeralda is another exceptional, albeit much shorter, ride that happens to begin right at the end of the Five Drainages ride. Esmeralda by itself is just too short of a ride for me. Being able to add it on to the 5 D's ride is priceless. The flow comes from being out all day and how well the two rides integrate together into one. :thumbsup: Call it the "Tour de Teanaway".

Eldorado Creek --- Fifth Drainage

Attachments

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Always a day late and a few miles short when it come to riding with those two. By 4 p.m. I was on my 3rd beer and refreshed after being in the post ride river dip with the riding group. (We also went for a swim at Gallagher Head and it was surprisingly warm. Bruiser only went in to her knees... ) :eekster:

Gearz, I love how you keep dragging up the Eldorado self portait. What is this, the 4th time? :) It definately shows off the Esmeralda basing that we did on the "short" ride the same day. I kept telling everyone about that descent all during the Esmeralda loop. Mmmmm good stuff.

Conditions were perfect. No matter what "version" of that ride you do. Do it now. It's that good. I'm thinking an out and back on West Fork in 2 weeks. (Fromme next weekend...)

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
More pics....

Finishing the climb out of Stafford Creek. Miller Peak in the center background

Small bit of viewage from below Earl Peak

Beverly Creek drainage, it's all brown in the fall.

gearz on top of Fortune Creek Pass

Starting the drop to the "jeep road from hell"

Monte

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
It's pretty cool to know we were at that log atop Fortune just a few hours before you guys.
You do know about the singletrack that parallels the road from the horse camp to Beverly, right? ;) It's just the kind of pain you guys would love and would REALLY put that loop out of the reach of us mere mortals.

Great day to be out there though. Great day.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Borneo said:
It's pretty cool to know we were at that log atop Fortune just a few hours before you guys.
You do know about the singletrack that parallels the road from the horse camp to Beverly, right? ;) It's just the kind of pain you guys would love and would REALLY put that loop out of the reach of us mere mortals.

Great day to be out there though. Great day.
Igor tried to find it 2 years ago when we first did 5 Drainages, but couldn't. Maybe another hint would help to find the start of the trail.

Monte

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Just downhill of the horse camp there's a meadow. The trail takes off at 10 o'clock about 3/4ths through the meadow. It's actually on the Cle Elum maps as 1358 I think. But, it's not maintained and not a traditionally built trail along the contour line. Lots of short ups and downs. It's a mofo with a capital M. We rode it to complete the Beverly-Eldorado "loop".

The road is much nicer... :)

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Borneo said:
Just downhill of the horse camp there's a meadow. The trail takes off at 10 o'clock about 3/4ths through the meadow. It's actually on the Cle Elum maps as 1358 I think. But, it's not maintained and not a traditionally built trail along the contour line. Lots of short ups and downs. It's a mofo with a capital M. We rode it to complete the Beverly-Eldorado "loop".

If it contours and the horse riders use it, I'm sure it's tough. They're leaving there mark on DeRoux, it's getting pretty chewed up. I thought it was moto's at first.

Monte

·
born again
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Borneo said:

I believe SRR tried it after riding Beverly / Eldorado mini loop and said it was a waste--- overgrown / blowdowns / etc. I'm pretty sure he said he went back to the road. Where is that guy anyway? Anyhoo after finishing 8 D's we were mostly just interested in bombing down the road to the beerwagen... I think you would be too. ;)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Great writeup and pics. Looks like a pretty enjoyable easy ride.

If you were on a motorcycle.;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are the Esmerelda Basin, Stafford Creek, Bean Creek, Beverly Creek and Iron Peak trails open to Mtn bikes now? My Green Trails say Hiker and Pack/Saddle only.

Just checking to see if I'd get a ticket if I got caught out there.
Thanks, Mark

·
born again
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
MRUFF said:
Are the Esmerelda Basin, Stafford Creek, Bean Creek, Beverly Creek and Iron Peak trails open to Mtn bikes now? My Green Trails say Hiker and Pack/Saddle only.

Just checking to see if I'd get a ticket if I got caught out there.
Thanks, Mark
You forgot Standup Creek.

The entire ride was just a big poach. None of those trails are open to bikes. :mad: We rode 'em anyway. :nono:

JUST KIDDING!

All of those trails are open to bikes. The Green Trails Maps are wrong. I believe it is part of a greater conspiracy to keep riders off trails they have a right to be on. :rolleyes:

If you don't believe me call the Cle Elum Ranger Station and ask them. Take the time to do the research, I did.

Enjoy the ride Mark.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.