Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found out what happens when the brass Eggy cleats get worn out!

Jammin' home from work Sunday on the Sofa King Fixie (on the ashphalt). Stood up at speed for a good sprint, and the left shoe/cleat decided to "let go" of the pedal. Toe-end of shoe struck the ashphalt, dragging my left leg under the spinning fixie ENO crank, resulting in the rear wheel locking up, with the Eggy pedal firmly implanted in my left calf.

My right inner thigh firmly impaled itself on the toptube (missed squashing my right testicular region by about an inch or less), my chest on the new Midge bar....but I SAVED it! Didn't hit the ground....wow.

Put new cleats on when I got home...looking at the old ones, they were quite worn after about one year of daily use! Damn brass.....

Go check yours, I'll wait.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
you got that right!

that is my biggest complaint with the Crank Bros system; the soft brass cleats. the pedals seem to go through stages of retention stiffness (too tight at first and when they get wiggly, time to replace 'em!) throughout their short life. i don't ever remember needing to replace my Time ATAC cleats half as often as these cleats. :(

really glad to know that you saved it- that is pretty miraculous. hope your calf is feeling okay, too.

OGG

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Nice save, mate, despite your soreness today.

I found that my Egg cleats get worn on one side only, since the click-out motion remains the same for each foot. So when they get slightly worn, I simply swap from from foot to foot. Then they're tight again.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not harping on Crank Bros. use of brass cleats....I actually like the idea! Just need to change 'em more often than I do....I'm cheap sometimes, I reckon.

Calf is fine, just scabby and turnin' yellow. The baseball on my inner thigh kinda hurts though.

OneGearGuy said:
that is my biggest complaint with the Crank Bros system; the soft brass cleats. the pedals seem to go through stages of retention stiffness (too tight at first and when they get wiggly, time to replace 'em!) throughout their short life. i don't ever remember needing to replace my Time ATAC cleats half as often as these cleats. :(

really glad to know that you saved it- that is pretty miraculous. hope your calf is feeling okay, too.

OGG

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just remember you'll have a very different "release angle" if'n you do that!

OT, got the 1X1 built up (again) last night....I'm gonna buy her some new ENO cranks today! WHY do I need four SS/fixie bikes??

SpinWheelz said:
Nice save, mate, despite your soreness today.

I found that my Egg cleats get worn on one side only, since the click-out motion remains the same for each foot. So when they get slightly worn, I simply swap from from foot to foot. Then they're tight again.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Happened to me with my Eggbeaters,

Except I was riding no handed and pumping as hard as I could up a slight incline. My right foot flew straight off into the ground then almost immediately my left foot came off. I was holding myself up by the bars with both arms. Both my feet dragging along the ground (if it was night there would probably be sparks), the pedals were whipping around and smashing the backs of my legs. All of a sudden the front wheel turned and I endo'd, I still managed to keep upright, jumping over the bars and standing in front of my bike with my hand behind me still holding the bike. I was about 500 yards from UoA campus where some guys n gurls were playing flag football.(which might of been a lil bit amusing for them).

I have bruises on the back of the legs and my right leg has a 7 deep teeth gouges.

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
Thread detour...

Lighter riders (Impy, Pfunk, etc.) have a lot of difficulty clipping in with brand-new cleats. I give my worn-out-and-unclip-way-too-easily cleats to my very light girlfriend and it works perfectly-fine-and-solid for... another *year* of frequent riding!

Now I trade her all my used cleats (which I can't use) for her brand new ones (which she can't use). :)

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
Good thinkin'!

aosty said:
Thread detour...

Lighter riders (Impy, Pfunk, etc.) have a lot of difficulty clipping in with brand-new cleats. I give my worn-out-and-unclip-way-too-easily cleats to my very light girlfriend and it works perfectly-fine-and-solid for... another *year* of frequent riding!

Now I trade her all my used cleats (which I can't use) for her brand new ones (which she can't use). :)
There's an excuse to put Eggs on my wife's bikes! :D
Back on track... xrmattaz-glad to hear you were able to pull that one out of your a$$. The baseball on your thigh is certainly preferrable to the carnage had you gone down. Yikes!

the los

·
mudnthebloodnthebeer
585 Posts
EvelMtber said:
Sounds like quite the save, good job. That would have been something to see.
Sounds like a great save Erik Zabel made after unclipping in a sprint several Tours ago-his bike wasn't trying to pound his calves into mush though..........

·
Look at the time!
1,144 Posts
I've heard that the (licensed eggbeater copy) Look 4x4 pedals have better cleats than the original eggbeaters (better ^= not brass). They are also said to have better bearings.

I'm having some trouble with my SPD SH51 cleats, they are wearing out quite fast on my messenger fixie.. So i'm thinking about switching over to the eggbeater system. It seems to be more "Fixie proof" than SPD.

For you guys in the states, i guess the Look 4x4 pedals will be a lot more expensive than eggbeaters, since Look is a french company. Maybe you can find Look 4x4 replacement cleats somewhere.

I think i'll go for a pair of Look 4x4s. Over here, they cost about as much as the eggbeater S version.

·
mudnthebloodnthebeer
585 Posts
lelebebbel said:
(better ^= not brass)
The Egg cleats are brass so that the pedal cages will wear them out and not vice-versa. I wonder how those crafty French Folks dealt with with this issue.......

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
quaffimodo said:
The Egg cleats are brass so that the pedal cages will wear them out and not vice-versa. I wonder how those crafty French Folks dealt with with this issue.......
Adding to the mystery: Time cleats are also made of brass.

The somewhat fast wearing cleats don't bother me that much... the not-so-durable bearings bother me much more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.