Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I will ask it again. I do not like my Shimano 520's, and want to upgrade to a crankbrothers pedal (upon good reviews). I am torn between the standard eggbeater and the cb candy pedals (for reference, both sl's). I do trail riding a lot, so you would assume I would want the candys. Otoh, I am starting to race in norcal. Not that either of those matter, but I don't want a bs reply like "eggbeaters are for racing, candys are made with a platform for trail riding..." I already know this. My question is whether any of you guys have used both, and how they feel in comparison to eachother. I've been told the candys do feel more stable with that platform, but currently I hate my Shimanos because its two sided, and on a uphill/downhill, when I can't clip in when I want to, it is very frustrating. And no, it's not because they are too tight. I think it also has to do with the shoes, which are pretty shitty Performance brand... So, the eb's have 4 sided entry. Easy, go with those. But, the candys center spindle moves with the cleat reciever (or whatever). So, it's not solid, like spds. Thats good. If you are still reading those, congrats. So, again the question is for the people who use/have used both. So please go to the bold print, and write as much info as you want! Thanks!

· ups and downs
15,321 Posts
I have several bikes with Eggbeaters and one with Candy's or Mallets depending how technical the trail will be. Once you're clipped in there can be more support with the Candy's, depends a bit on your shoes and the shape of the sole. There can be less of a hot spot if you have fairly soft-soled shoes.

The wings in the Candy's don't rotate as freely as the Eggbeaters and they are the same wings as the chrome Eggbeaters so they will wear faster than the SL 'beaters. In most cases the Candy's are as easy to get in and out of as the Eggbeaters, but there have been occasions where I found the Candy's harder to get in or out of and I have had pieces of wood jammed in between the wings and the body that required stopping to clear the jam. Sometimes the difficulty seems to be because the wings don't rotate as easily as the 'beaters. The Candys do provide more support when clipped out than the Eggbeaters as long as you have rubber insoles.

On any bike but my 6x6 suspension bike I prefer to use Eggbeaters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.