Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reviewing the Spot setup thread and noticed that a majority of you are running Crank Bros pedals. This got me to thinking "What am I missing?" since I've been on the Shimano units since their introduction years and years ago. I've been using the big 646 platforms for the past 3 years.

I started shopping this morning and have found good deals on a black Candy Ti set and a Orange Mallet C. If I go with the candy's will I miss the big platform or if I go with the Mallets will I regret their wieght of twice the Ti's? Which do the Homers recommend?

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
I don't know jack about eggbeater pedals other than what they look like, but let me ask you this. Are you primarily "trail riding" this bike? Do you intend to do any drops/aggro riding? Can those eggbeaters withstand aggro riding?
I ride platforms [no clippy for me] so I can't make any recommendations other than to get you thinking about the intended use of your bike.
just make sure that the color schemes match nicely.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just switched back to 959's after a season on Candies.

I found that the CB's are not as "intuitive" when you really need to get out of the pedals.

Say, a technical rocky climb with a lot of exposure, bike stops, you move your heel to release...nope, you're in there buddy...down and down you go.

For me it came down to those panic stops. With the Sh!mano, up and out at an angle is an option. With the CB's, its a flat heel swing, which is not what my body wants to do as I'm falling. If you want to try the Candy, let me know. I have a mildly beatup pair with cleats that are probably good for another season. Yours to try if you want.

·
Bodhisattva
10,850 Posts
Try to demo the eggbeaters before you buy.
I don't like them, or the candys, at all.
The problem lies with the 4 sided entry design. It's made from 2 springs which wind 180 degrees and sit perpendicular to each other like the 4 arms of a cross. So the spring that you are clipped into is exposed underneath. What happens is that when the bottom of a pedal strikes a rock you get forcefully ejected from the pedal in a scissoring action.
No thanks.
I really like the new Time ATAC and don't find that I need the big platform of a Time Z for my style of riding.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little clarification - I have always piloted my bike in the same manner regardless of pedals, shocks or any other component. This means I attempt to route my rides to maximize the air and DH sections and climb only to get to the top of the next downhill. I MTB for the fun of the ride not for fitness (quite obvious if you've seen me lately) Back in 1991 this meant riding my fully rigid carbon tubbed HT with the "new" clipless pedals off boardwalks coming from the beach 5' to flat concrete (killed a lot of rigid forks that way), jumping steps, culverts, logs whatever.

I got sucked into the "Freeride/DH - intended purpose" thinking a few years back and ended up trail riding a Bullit w/ a Dual crown fork at over 38lbs! I don't want to go there again. Sure, I want to stay away from stupid light , total XC racing stuff but I don't think I need FR or DH weighted components for the terrain I normally ride. I have flats and will keep the old Shim 646's (I have a brand new pair too if anyone is interested) for stupid days but think they are overkill for everyday use.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Try to demo the eggbeaters before you buy.
I don't like them, or the candys, at all.
The problem lies with the 4 sided entry design. It's made from 2 springs which wind 180 degrees and sit perpendicular to each other like the 4 arms of a cross. So the spring that you are clipped into is exposed underneath. What happens is that when the bottom of a pedal strikes a rock you get forcefully ejected from the pedal in a scissoring action.
No thanks.
I really like the new Time ATAC and don't find that I need the big platform of a Time Z for my style of riding.
I have been riding eggs for several years now. I think they are much easier and more intuitive (for me, obviously it varies on the person) to get out of in a panic situation. The other thing I really like about them is the very firm engagement of the pedal, never do I pop out when doing hard climbing like I did on my SPDs. Also they are phenominal in snow/mud situations as they clean very well. I've never stopped to clean my cleat area off on my shoe since I went to Eggs.

However there are some drawbacks for sure...
1. Can wear the soles of your shoes out. Mine are getting some pretty deep pits from the pedals.
2. Squeak is correct that smacking a rock hard can pop your foot out, and it does happen from time to time.
3. Longevity of the cleats is in question. However I switched to Quattro cleats and they seem to be much more durable. My pedals developed some side to side play, but it isn't really noticeable when riding.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Atac looks like it would be a beaaaaaatch to clip into once it was caked in good ol' Georgia red clay.

How durable is the cage on the Candies?

·
Bodhisattva
10,850 Posts
The ATACs actually do very well in mud.

Much better than Shimano and as good as the Candys.
The eggs do better than either.

Just dont say I didn't warn you about the hit-the-rock and get ejected phenomenon. It's no fun when it happens in the middle of a techy descent.

I got rid of my Candys after a month and so can't comment on cage durability.

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
trying to drop a few ounces? :p

just me, but I wouldn't change my foot/pedal connectors till after I got used to my sick new Orange 6

but, since you're asking, i've stuck with shimano cause i've been on them for 15 years and know how to get out of them in a pinch and they've been reliable

now stop getting distracted and post some pics of that motha! :cool:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have to agree with Squeaks

I used Eggs for about 2 years and became complete frustrated with the unintended release when the pedal would hit a rock, etc. I also ran into hot spots or pressure points on my feet from the Eggs when doing an extended ride. About a year ago I switched to the New Times and haven't looked back. They are a great all-around pedal and work as well in the dry as they do when things get wet and muddy. Highly recommend the time pedals. BTW, I have also spent a lot of time on SPD's and Frogs and still think the Times are the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
What happens is that when the bottom of a pedal strikes a rock you get forcefully ejected from the pedal in a scissoring action. No thanks. I really like the new Time ATAC and don't find that I need the big platform of a Time Z for my style of riding.
Same here. I intially liked the Candies so much that I bought two pair. Then I noticed the "pedal smack" issues. Argh! Go with the Times. I also think their engagement is a bit more positive and pronounced.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Eggs rule (for me)

I have run nothing else for 3 years. Never a problem getting out in panic situations. I don't like the candies. They seem to actually make it harder to get out and in, with little advantage imo.

They are durable and look cool.

Like squeak says, they can occasionally release if you pedal down onto a rock or log, but I have never found this to interfere with the ride. If this bugs you, go with Time pedals which have a very similar design, but are probably a little more robust and heavier.

I'd say find some cheap on ebay and demo. If you don't like them re-ebay them.

I have them on all four bikes, so you know I like them.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I've got both Mallets and Candies. I originally bought Mallet Cs, primarily because I wanted an option of riding in proper mountain shoes as well as street shoes. I later got Mallet Ms to save some grams on my trail bike and put the Cs on another. Recently I got Cany SLs for my race bike and my shoe feels just as secure in them, and I don't feel any loss of power output. They only draw back is that on some sketchy sections you have to ride clipped in, you don't have an option of just placing your foot on a platform.

As of the ejection upon pedal smack, interestingly, I never experienced that with my Mallets when I had my old Nike Cairns. I broke them and I got some upper model Sidis. At the same time, I have been forced to ride my hardtil exclusiely, which has Candy SLs, and have experienced the ejection a lot. I wonder if it is simply the function of the shoe/cleat setupt and I just need to elevate the clip from the shoe sole and thus solve the problem.

edit:
One more thing. I know that tripple Ti beaters have a weight limit associated with them, apparently they are less sturdy. I would check if Candy Ti have some type of drawback to their durability as well.

_MK

·
Lookin for that extra can
214 Posts
SSINGA said:
The Atac looks like it would be a beaaaaaatch to clip into once it was caked in good ol' Georgia red clay.

How durable is the cage on the Candies?
I've been riding candies since they came out about 3 years ago.
The bad:
Squeak said it... hit the underside flat on a rock and boing... your foot is out.
Hit the plastic platform enough and boing... the end cap comes off and exposes the innards to gunk. I even managed to chip mine down to the point that the end cap didn't have enough threads to hold it in. Once that happened the pedal was done.
Can be difficult to get into if the 'beater inside the platform isn't rotated so that it aligns with the cleat. Though it is something you get used to.
The good:
The float in these pedals makes my knees quite happy.
I feel very safe in them and have never had any problems getting out when I needed.
They have great customer service and a rebuild kit is about $15
Great in mud and gunk

That is all I know...

--rip

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I run both the EBs and the Mallet-Cs had them for about 3yrs.

Yes they do eject on a down stroke if you hit a rock. It can be a PITA.
Yes they have unlimited mud shedding.
Regarding the comments about not being able to clip out: It is much harder with brand new cleats. As the cleats wear they get more natural to eject. Unfortunately when the cleats get worn-out you clip out waaaaay to easy. I think the point here is there is not release tension adjustement so you have to get used to whatever tension you have.

Both pedals can take a helatious beating, we're talking Marquis DeSade beatings.
Hot-spots is highly dependant on the shoes you are using. SIDIs are a match made in heaven. No tread trimming. The stiff SIDI soles mean you can't even feel the pedals underneath you. The shoe feels like one big platform weather on the EB or the Mallet. I'd imagine other shoes could feel quite different.
From what I've read a lot of people who've tried both the CBs and the Times pref'd the Times b/c of the potential ejections.

CB has positively stellar customer service. Twice, they've replaced a year-old pedal, which I snapped a clip off. They did it very quickly with no questions asked.

As for intuitive clip-in: At first, I found it much easier to nail the target on the EBs than the Mallets. Then I removed the armored traction plates and they're about the same. All in all I like these pedals. My only gripes are the cleats wear much too fast, (I clip in and out quite a lot) and the occasional rock strike ejection. It's not too frequent and as clumsy as I am, it usually does not cause me to blow a move. IMO if you are going to get a CB product, go with the EBs or Mallets the little platform on the candies won't make a hill of beans difference and the EBs are easy as heck to nail.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Bikezilla said:
My only gripes are the cleats wear much too fast, (I clip in and out quite a lot) and the occasional rock strike ejection.
Buy a set of Quattro cleats next time. I've been running these for a couple months now (per CBs customer service telling me to try them) and they are wearing MUCH better than the standard cleats. They are made from a harder brass, which seems to be just what I needed.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
What Squeak et al said. The auto-ejection feature of EB's bites. At the exact moment when you don't want to come out (you are levering through a tech section and bump a rock or root with the underside of the pedal) SPROING! out you pop. The Time's work just as well overall but don't spit you out.

I rode the EBs for a year and did not notice that they were any better or worse in mud or snow than the Times. I like the all-metal consturction of the EBs (candies notwithstanding) but I have plowed my Times into solid rock a billion times and they have yet to do anything other than get scraped.

Both cleats wear kinda fast since they use soft metal to save the pedal's retention bars. Both chew up the sole of your shoe. The EBs look cool, but I only use them on my road bike or recumbent.

You have to be very careful about cleat alignment with the Times since they do not offer truly free float like the EBs do. You fight the retention spring almost immediately.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
I use eggbeaters on my Blur. I think they're great for XC, but not as good for freeride type use. I crashed several times when I tried candies because I couldn't release. I found out that my shoes needed a spacer between shoe and cleat for the candy pedals, but not for the regular eggbeaters. I think they're far superior to even the ATACS in truly hellacious mud like wet bentonite clay.

I have minimal time on ATACs. I had a bad race on them when I repeatedly couldn't clip in quickly on a technical climb. Probabaly just lack of familiarity. I think they are a better choice for freeride than eggies becaus of the unintended release others have mentioned. The bottom and top rails of an ATAC pedal don't connect like on an eggbeater.

I'm using Shimano 646's on my Moment and 545's on the singlespeed. I still think a platform is an advantage for times in a tech climb when you need to mash on the pedal NOW regardless of whether you're clipped in or not. I live in the desert, so mud is an infrequent problem here.

I also have a pair of WTB stealth 250's on my hardtail. Can't really recommend them for much of anything.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.