Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm noticing that the visible portion of the steel spindle of the "C" and "SC" Eggbeaters (the ones with the external hex drive) have a lot more material than the "SL", "TI" and "2TI" pedals. I'm wondering if the difference in steel spindle profiles accounts for more of the weight difference between models than the other components.

If so, this would make a ti spindle upgrade a much more financially viable option for the "C" and "SC" pedals (a "C" model pedal with a $50 e-bay ti spindle upgrade might be lighter AND less expensive than a standard "SL" or "TI" model).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sure the C or SC models are cheaper, may be as light as others with ti spindles but the lower grade steels are weak. These lower models are normally the ones people break the wings or bodys on and then complain about how much eggbeaters suck.

I only recommend the SL's and up. Heck, even the end caps on the lower ones are plastic or composite.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The SC is listed as stamp steel wings. I would be afraid these would fail prematurely and would steer clear.

FWIW, my SL's came with plastic end caps as well. Not sure how they will hold up to sustained maintenance on these pedals. I do think the SL with the aftermarket TI spindle will offer the most cost effective lightweight pedal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.