Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats you experience with these? I can get a package deal at Nashbar 100.00 for chrome pedels and a pair Answer Speeder shoes. I'm using some older welgo spd/ritchey clones right now and they work OK but get kind of clogged up with mud. I can see how the eggs would be much better with the mud but I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger because the lack of a platform makes me think they will be harder to clip into and once in they would feel like all the presure is in the center of your foot. What do you think?

·
Registered
310 Posts
sounds like a good deal

I dont have any experience with other types of clipless pedals except for the eggs and I really like them. I dont really notice that all of the pressure is on one part of my foot, but again, no other experience with clipless. They do clean really well and are very easy to clip into. Overall I like mine.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the eggbeater Candy SL (stainless), and got them over the regular Eggs because of the "platform". I love 'em! I wanted to get rid of my spd pedals because they would clog up with mud and were hard to get into even when clean. The Candy's never have an issue with mud, (although I thought the cleats might, but I haven't had any issues in 2 years) and are much easier to get into, and if you don't you still have a bit of a flat platform. I used to dread uphill starts, but now I don't give 'em a second thought. Even with the spacers provided, I did have to grind a bit of tread on my shoes around the cleats to get them to lock in more easily, because the cleat doesn't protrude as much as an spd.

·
YRTRNRSHVY
558 Posts
I have had a few SPD, ATACs and now the egg beaters. I like them, but not as much as the ATAC pedals. However the ATACs are much heavier. About once every 5 rides I will hit the bottom of the egg beater on a rock and it will pop my foot out. Crank Bros. have good customer service too.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
they are good pedals. Like has been said if you have decent shoes you really don't notice that they are so small. I haven't seen any mud syick to the pedal yet even if my shoe is cakes and its tapping the frame as it passes by stuck on the tyre.

Only slight down side is the release angle takes geting used too if you used other pedals, its relatively far around.

Stu

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Viper

Thanks for the suggestion on the deals at pricepoint. The package with ATAC pedels is for the alumium version. I've heard that the Alumium Atac is not very durable and should be avoided. They also have packages for the eggs with either Diadora Gecko, Diadora Picante or Sette element shoes for just over 100.00. Or I could get any of the Answer line and the egg pedals at Nashbar for arround the same price.

I guess the question is what shoe is best?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Egg Beater pedals are the best! You do have to break them in a bit, but they are smooth to get in and out of. The only problem some people have with them is that they are a bit stiff when they are new, and if you are used to running you SPDs loose, it may take some time to get used to them.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I love my original Eggbeaters, but would love to get a set of the Candy's to have a bit of a platform.
I'll be buying them next.

·
Pudgy Old Guy
536 Posts
Only problem I've had with eggbeaters...

is I've had several of the outside bearings fail. Never had bearing failure with Times but overall I like the eggs better. Don't notice the platform difference. I've ordered some (hopefully) higher quality bearings to replace the stock ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.