Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got new EB 4Ti pedals and I like them a lot. I've ridden XT and XTR for years and I think the EBs clip in and out with perfection. But, the XT/XTR pedals have tension adjustments and the 4Ti do not seem to. When I am spinning I notice that the cleats do not seem to fit firmly in the pedal mechanism. They don't release improperly or have any problem engaging, its just that they seem to shift forwards and backwards a slight amount. I can minimize this to some extent by concentrating hard on pushing outward on the crank cycle to maintain foot-pedal contact tension, that is to avoid any sense of push-pull rather completely circular movement.
Its slightly annoying at times mostly because I feel maybe this robs me of some pedaling efficiency? I'm wondering if other people have this problem and is there any way to alleviate it?
The pedals and cleats are new. I'm not using the shims because I don't have any tread clearance issue. The cleats are installed in my Shimano MTB shoe which was handling the SPD cleats just fine. There's nothing in the manual to address such an issue.

Also, in the pedal manual, its states "if the cleats are not installed correctly, you could experience knee damage. ...Adjust for your body. ...Consult your LBS". Is there something specific about these pedals/cleats that this warning is intended for or just a generic no-liability legal thing? I don't recall Shimano pedal manuals having such a warning.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
The warning is just a generic warning that would aplly to all clipless pedals - if you mount the cleats at a bad angle, you knees will suffer.
As for the loose feeling - I may have had this but not thought too much about it. It goes away if the sole of your shoe starts to get worn from contact with the bars, which is good or bad depending on how you look at it.

·
BMF
593 Posts
I noticed the "loose" feeling on my candy sl's, I tried to address it many ways including having my LBS swap them out for a new pair. I finally swapped them out for something else as I couldn't get used to it and never felt really securely clipped in.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just FYI....If your Shimano shoes have a carbon sole, you need to get the metal cleat-backing plate or else the bars will break or wear out the carbon sole. If your shoes have a plastic sole, you are fine. Sorry, but I have no advice for you on the play in the cleats. I've always just used SPD's.

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
I noticed the same thing with a pair of Eggbeaters I once had. It felt like I was ice skating on the pedal just a little bit. I have since switched back to Shimanos, but I'd like to try Eggbeaters again because I think it's a great design and they are very light. Another thing, they seemed more difficult to release than the Shimanos. I know that this is due to the lack of a tension adjustment, but it seemed as though the release angle on the EB's is a little more than the SPD. EB is advertised as 15 (or 20) and the Shimano as 13, but it felt like more than a 2 degree difference.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've seen on one of the "pro bike" features on either cyclingnews or velonews where a mechanic installed rubber tubing over either end of the pedal body - no doubt to eliminate the float that you speak of. Matmotto might be able to speak on this as I thought it was JHK's bike, though i could be wrong.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After getting all this feedback on the "float" issue, I decided to go to CrankBrothers website (imagine tha!) to see if I could find any advice on this issue. They didn't really address the issue as we have described it here, but I did find this:
"What is float?
Float is the amount of unrestricted movement the cleat has within the pedal when the cleat is engaged. Most riders require a small amount of float for healthy knees. Crank Brothers pedals have 6 degrees of rotational float."
Apparently they consider it to be a good thing. I'll ride them hard for a while and see how it works out:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cocheese said:
I noticed the same thing with a pair of Eggbeaters I once had. It felt like I was ice skating on the pedal just a little bit. I have since switched back to Shimanos, but I'd like to try Eggbeaters again because I think it's a great design and they are very light. Another thing, they seemed more difficult to release than the Shimanos. I know that this is due to the lack of a tension adjustment, but it seemed as though the release angle on the EB's is a little more than the SPD. EB is advertised as 15 (or 20) and the Shimano as 13, but it felt like more than a 2 degree difference.
Cocheese:
You might want to check your cleat installation. There is a "right side" and a "left side". The right side has two small circles on the cleat. If you install the "two small circles cleat" on the left side, it has the effect of increasing the angle required to disengage. Anyway, this is my interpretation of what they write.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts