Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Missing
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homies in the quest to build a sub 20 titanium hard tail I converted my XTR pedals to some Eggbeaters. I have ridden them for about 140 miles and still I find the engagement point some what difficult to locate while pedaling. I raced a 6 hour event yesterday and at one point it was maybe 30 seconds to find the sweet spot.

So the question is? As that cheap ass brass mount withers away is it easier then to clip in then or are these pedals generally speaking harder to find the sweet spot on ?

I wear sidi's

I love the pedal for the weight but am wandering am I the only one having trouble finding the sweet spot or is this a learners curve.

Mounts are on the correct way per the directions

I must say for such a minimal pedal when I was platforming ( could not get clipped in) yesterday on some really rocky descends the pedal performed great I figured with such a minimal design they would suck at platforming but no worries.

Great pedal just having trouble finding that sweet spot

and for the weight savings over XTR here you go

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I think Eggs are by far the easiest pedal to get into. I think it's hard not to clip into them. You should practice clipping in and out for a few minutes before or after your ride and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have mine positioned @ 20 degrees and it engages/ disengage smoother than my buddies egg beaters @ 15 degrees.

It just takes time as the SPD's have a wider platform VS CB's, I went through your exact sitiation 2 years ago and dont think I'll ever go back to SPD's :D

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
They're also harder to engage the more you try to click in, if I just put my foot down on the pedal when it's at the bottom of the stroke they usually engage right away, but the more I try to click in, the more it eludes me. They should name them Zen pedals, just go with the flow and they work perfectly, but try to direct the flow and the universe fights back. Bend with the wind... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Sidis are terrible and notorious with Eggs. I have a set of Dragon 2's that were near impossible to clip into... even with the metal shim installed. I bought the shoes and used them at a cross race the next day. I was so frustrated with the shoes that I took a shoe change in the pits.

It was all tread interference problems. I ended up taking a dremel to the the tread on each side of the cleat. Now they clip in as fast as my Specialized S-works shoes. I had some Dominators that were also a bit of a problem in the past, but they were OK with just the shim.

I also think that the slick sole on Sidi shoes make it a bit harder to clip in with Eggs when you first get them. I put some grip tape in front and behind my cleat and that improved things as well.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've found the new egg beater cleats do take a little while to break in. At first it can be difficult to click in. When they get worn out I sometimes have spontaneous releases getting up on ledges, then its time for new ones.

·
WTF
292 Posts
briscoelab said:
Sidis are terrible and notorious with Eggs. I have a set of Dragon 2's that were near impossible to clip into... even with the metal shim installed. I bought the shoes and used them at a cross race the next day. I was so frustrated with the shoes that I took a shoe change in the pits.

It was all tread interference problems. I ended up taking a dremel to the the tread on each side of the cleat. Now they clip in as fast as my Specialized S-works shoes. I had some Dominators that were also a bit of a problem in the past, but they were OK with just the shim.

I also think that the slick sole on Sidi shoes make it a bit harder to clip in with Eggs when you first get them. I put some grip tape in front and behind my cleat and that improved things as well.
Really? I never had an issue....wierd

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know that egg beaters are light. But say if you got an old time atac pedal it would way a little over 100 grams more. It seems like getting a shoe with good power transference is more important than even a few ounces of bike weight.

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Yes and No.

I have some SIDI Dominator 5 shoes, and have had zero problem w/ engagement. Always quick, fast, and easy. Pedals are 2ti's.

I also have a pair of SIDI Dominator 6 shoes w/ a shield, to protect the carbon undersole ofthe shoe. Now these shoes take some real patience to engage in, luckily, they are on my spin bike. I purchased the 6's for the heel support, but, I think the Shield may be part of the problem. Pedals are Candy 2ti's.

I also have both sets of pedals set to 15 degrees of release.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
Between the wife and I we have CB pedals on 7 bikes. The only clip-in issues either of us have experienced were due to clearance problems that were solved with the supplied shims.

@Bikeon, I must respectfully disagree that eggbeaters feel like standing on a bare axle. I have Mallets, Acids, Candies and Eggbeaters, and I was initially quite surprised that while clipped in, I cannot tell the difference in the amount of support that Eggbeaters offer versus the platforms. The only difference I've found is when not clipped in. I have never felt like I was standing on a bare axle. Maybe you're using shoes with too flexible of a sole.

I am clearly totally sold on Eggbeaters (and all the variants). I have found their performance in mud and muck to far surpass my previous sets of Shimanos, and they just continue to work without having to be lubed as regularly as my chain (unlike Shimanos). I like products that are bolt-on and forget (until it's time for routine bearing maintenance of course), and the CB pedals are spot on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
mtb143 said:
@Bikeon, I must respectfully disagree that eggbeaters feel like standing on a bare axle. I have Mallets, Acids, Candies and Eggbeaters, and I was initially quite surprised that while clipped in, I cannot tell the difference in the amount of support that Eggbeaters offer versus the platforms. The only difference I've found is when not clipped in. I have never felt like I was standing on a bare axle. Maybe you're using shoes with too flexible of a sole.
I used Gearne shoes rather stiff ones (with plastics shims). I definietly prefer Candy's over naked EB. That's all. I only want to post another opinion about, not against. Thats all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.