Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, ive had my candy sls for about 2 years now. over the last month the left pedal has become increasing easy to clip out of, so much so that i cant even really clip in on what feels like two of the four sides, is there any way to tighten the spring mechanism or any other advive, cus there really starting to get annoying and some what dangerous at times
STEVE

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Replace the Cleats!

maynard said:
hey, ive had my candy sls for about 2 years now. over the last month the left pedal has become increasing easy to clip out of, so much so that i cant even really clip in on what feels like two of the four sides, is there any way to tighten the spring mechanism or any other advive, cus there really starting to get annoying and some what dangerous at times
STEVE
Replace the Cleats! they're probably worn down to nubs after two years!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Replace your cleats. They are made of brass and are designed to wear out. You should be able to find them for less than $20 at your LBS.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
May not just be worn cleats

Everyone's first reaction is that it must be worn cleats.
On the other hand, I've had the situation where "play" develops in the moving set of bars.
One set is tied to the body of the pedal and the other is hooked to the spring.
I have two pairs of Eggs. The newer pair has no "play" in the movement as I push it with my fingers, while the older pair has a decided movement. You can click it back and forth forward and backward (not side to side).
Check yours by using your fingers to see if the moveable set of bars moves back and forth by push it with your fingers......"play".
If so, then I'm not sure how you can fix that. New cleats might make the fit a bit tighter but that is not the real cause of the problem.
For example, using the same old worn cleats, my new pedals are tight and the old pedals have the extra "play"...
I have not called Crank Brothers about this issue yet.....

Perhaps someone has called them and knows the answer or solution IF there is one other than buying a new set of pedals.l

The way the extra play affects me is that I sometimes come out of the pedal while pedaling.......and usually while in the saddle........ My leg flys out and some day I think I might injure myself from a pulled muscle or something.

·
[paste title here]
515 Posts
Chester said:
Everyone's first reaction is that it must be worn cleats.
On the other hand, I've had the situation where "play" develops in the moving set of bars.
One set is tied to the body of the pedal and the other is hooked to the spring.
I have two pairs of Eggs. The newer pair has no "play" in the movement as I push it with my fingers, while the older pair has a decided movement. You can click it back and forth forward and backward (not side to side).
Check yours by using your fingers to see if the moveable set of bars moves back and forth by push it with your fingers......"play".
If so, then I'm not sure how you can fix that. New cleats might make the fit a bit tighter but that is not the real cause of the problem.
For example, using the same old worn cleats, my new pedals are tight and the old pedals have the extra "play"...
I have not called Crank Brothers about this issue yet.....

Perhaps someone has called them and knows the answer or solution IF there is one other than buying a new set of pedals.l

The way the extra play affects me is that I sometimes come out of the pedal while pedaling.......and usually while in the saddle........ My leg flys out and some day I think I might injure myself from a pulled muscle or something.
You know I spoke to eggbeaters about that same question at Sea Otter. I have a pair of the EB SL and they had noticable play on the wing right out of the box. I asked them about the play and they told me that it is suppose to do that and it shouldnt affect the performace of the pedals.

I think that its you cleats that have worn out. Ive worn out a pair of cleats in a year and my foot would sometimes just pop out of the pedals when I would pedal uphill. Try getting new cleats and see if that fixes it. See if you can get the quattro cleats instead. Ive been running those and they seem to working a lot better.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
maynard said:
STEVE
Also the new cleats for the Quattro road pedals work with regular eggs PLUS they are made from a harder brass so they last longer. I've been on a set of Quattro cleats for a couple months now and they look brand new. Wearing much longer than my original egg cleats.

·
Mmmm Rocks Good
645 Posts
It might be the pedals!

It may be the pedals as described by Chester. I had the exact same thing happen to my Mallets. You could move the bars back and forth w/your fingers from front to back. Almost as if the spring is unwinding. I contacted Crank Bros and they sent me an Return Authorization and I had my pedals back in about a week, nice and tight! I'm actually able to re-use cleats that I had taken off as "worn out" because now the bars clamp on to them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rebuilding them may also help. I rebuilt mine about a month ago and they feel like new. Done it twice in the 3 and a half years Ive had the pedals. they sell kits for under 20 bucks and you can pretty much do it your self.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Same problem with two sets right out of the box!

I ordered two sets of SLs on sale at Cambria. All four pedals has a mm or two of side to side play in the "inner" clip. They actually rattle when you shake them! I tried them anyway with new cleats and found that they uncliped way too easilly. I've ridden new EBs so I know what they are supposed to feel like.

I just got off the phone with Crank Bros. when I saw this thread. I'm glad to hear PaMtnBkr had success with returning them as that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I have a pair of old (pre grease port) EBs that are not as stiffly sprung as they used to be. That and a worn spindle is the reason I'm replacing them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.