Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 55, I am very active. Road riding, mountain biking (nothing too technical), bikepacking, running, etc... It takes a heck of a lot to get me down.

Last weekend, I shoveled some dirt in our raised beds and then worked on reworking the aggregate in our gravel driveway in preparation for a big load of gravel. Late in the day, I felt some pain in the lower right part of my back but nothing major. Went and rode some light trails with my adult son. Felt great on the bike, but stiff and sore when I got off of it.

Sunday morning, I had to crawl on the floor to get around for a bit. The cats found it odd. I could barely get into and out of our Jeep Cherokee. I've had this flare up before but not for this long. The funny thing is that I could likely get on my road bike and go do 40 miles without any pain.

Argh... Just commiserating.

·
Nothing seems to kill me
742 Posts
Right there with ya. I feel your pain. I'm 55 also and have similar issues. I ride a lot of technical trails and I rarely have issues while riding but always stiff when I get off the bike. Some mornings are worse than others getting out of bed, although I haven't had to crawl in a while, lol. But I've been there too.
This year I have decided to cut back on riding as much and focus on strengthening my lower back and upper butt. I still get in about 30 miles a week or so on the mountain bike but 2 years ago I was getting about 100, last season about 60.
And although I have had back issues since my teens, this last episode is going on almost 3 years. Docs can't seem to find any obvious issue and tell me to stretch more and they just want to send me to a pain management DR that wants to shoot me full of meds. been there, done that. It's not a solution..
Hope you feel better soon. Back pain is freaking debilitating.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Make sure you stretch the muscles on the front, too. I spent years with low back and sciatica type leg pain, steadily getting worse, and thousands at the chirpractor. Lots oof stretching hamstrings and back. After a crawling episode, I started searching for non-back stretching, which led to stretches for tight hip flexors (sit at atdesk all day).

Now when my back is all stiff in the morning or after a bike ride, I do kneeling lunges or hold my heel to my butt and nix that low back tightness quickly.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to a chiropractor yesterday who specializes in sports and athletes. After some x-rays there is a noticeable compression of the disk between L4 and L5. He doesn't believe that it is ruptured so we are progressing with adjustments, new stretching exercises and other therapies. We'll see how it goes.

One thing to keep in mind. When you are out in public and you see old people hunched over and shuffling along, they got that way over time. As we get older, we need to work on trying to keep a full range of motion in our exercise routines. That is somthing that I have been guilty of not doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.