Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2021 Pike and it's coming up on the 50 hour service, was given a new jug of 5WT WPL oil, any concern with using this vs the Rockshox recommended 0w-30? I've never done a fork service but it seems pretty straight forward.

·
Boom bap ambassador
999 Posts
For lower legs that will work just fine. Damper oil would be thinner so something like WPL 2.5 would work for a damper rebuild.

Rockshox 0W-30 is listed with a cST of 47 or so at 40C which is thicker than WPL 5W at 18 [email protected]

Some people on here get all worked up about this or that holy grail of oil but in my experience with my own forks I haven't seen a difference using a less thick oil vs a thicker oil for lower lubrication.

Doing service and using a quality oil is better than using crap oil/holy grail oil but only doing service once in a blue moon/hundreds of hours I reckon.

·
Registered
117 Posts
WPL 5WT is a thin damper oil. It lubricates well but doesn't cling well and in the lowers you want a thicker lubrication film.

WPL's 20WT is suitable for lower leg service and a substitute for the 0W30 that RockShox specifies.

Reactions: karpiel

·
Registered
421 Posts
WPL 5WT is a thin damper oil. It lubricates well but doesn't cling well and in the lowers you want a thicker lubrication film.

WPL's 20WT is suitable for lower leg service and a substitute for the 0W30 that RockShox specifies.
I really do prefer Rockshox 0w-30. As the folks above say, not all oil is made equal. Not all 0w-30 is the same. I've tried different 0w-30 and it's negatively impacted the fork performance in the lowers as it didn't cling as well.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
379 Posts
In my 35mm Revelations, I have used RS 0w30, Maxima fork oil 20wt ([email protected]), Penrite Pro5w40 ([email protected]) and Husqvarna bar and chain oil ([email protected])

I have use each of these once and I'm going to probably try them all again (as I've changed/improved other parts of the fork)

I never go over the 50hr recommendation and sometimes change well before that.

IME I rate these oils in the following order.

Husqvarna.

Maxima.

RS.

Penrite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.