Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to compare the 31:18 gearing i have on my 29er SS with the 32:16 gearing i have on my 26er SS. i haven't found a gear calculator that takes tire casing size into account and am wondering if there's really going to be that big of a difference.

i've got a mountain king 2.4 on the back of my 29er and i have a michelin 2.35 mountain a/t, fwiw.

i guess what i'm really looking for is the distance traveled per crank rotation.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
head said:
i'm trying to compare the 31:18 gearing i have on my 29er SS with the 32:16 gearing i have on my 26er SS. i haven't found a gear calculator that takes tire casing size into account and am wondering if there's really going to be that big of a difference.

i've got a mountain king 2.4 on the back of my 29er and i have a michelin 2.35 mountain a/t, fwiw.

i guess what i'm really looking for is the distance traveled per crank rotation.

thanks.
Tire size certainly makes a difference in the gear inches, as does inflation pressure and load (how ever minor). But since you have the two bikes/setups you want to compare, just do an actual rollout and see what they are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts