Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for new wheels and trying to figure out the rim part. I've run a 317 rear and original crossmax front and never had any wheel problem so I'm not hard on my wheels. I run a larger front tire 2.3 and may try a 2.5. I've liked the extra width of the Crossmax rim but need a disk front and can't see going with a mavic complete wheel. The narrow 317's I've used have held up fine for me and they are light. Will I see noticeable cornering traction benefit from running larger front tires on a wider rim, say a mavic 24.5mm 719 or something else in the 460 gram range?

Also anyone have experience with Stan's ZTR 355 rim, it's 24.4mm and supposed to be 355 grams.

Art

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Go wider...

... I wish I did. My current hoops are the DT 4.1d rims, and they have been pretty darn strong and stiff so far under my 200lbs. However, I've rolled a few tires off both front and rear after jumps of no more than 3 feet, and once in a corner that I just hit real hard and was banked. I suspect I'm riding more aggressively this season, and this is the longest I've had narrow rims hold up. Previously I tended to ride velocity aeroheats.

When I rebuild these wheels, I'm going to a wider rim, minimum the aeroheats again, but likely to the new syncros, or the Arrow racing XCL when it hits. I'll gain a few grams, but I'd like the wider rim for a more stable footprint etc. Just my thoughts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.