Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
This is becoming an FAQ. Someone should put the answers to al kinds of variables in a nice table.

@Oilcanracer : if you have to ask such basic questions, do yourself a favor and don't mess with geoemtries and forks just yet. These kinds of topics are relatively fresh, beofer we all had pretty much the same handling 26" XC bikes. Your LBS is also most likely to not understand this stuff one bit.
All there is to know on 29" handling geometry has been said a dozen times or more on this forum, a simple search should bring you more info than you'll ever want.
Trust your frame's manufacturer, spec the fork they spec, and it will probably handle most excellently.

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
Screw that.

Go experiment and see what happens. Maybe you'll find something you like more. Maybe you won't like it. Either way you're going to learn some good stuff.

·
Registered
347 Posts
iamandy said:
Go experiment and see what happens. Maybe you'll find something you like more. Maybe you won't like it. Either way you're going to learn some good stuff.
I second that. Just make sure you'll post back with your findings so that we don't waste any money as well.

Seriously, check out twentynineinches.com. GuitarTed wrote some good stuff about how different forks effect handling.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
OilcanRacer said:
if i put a G2 f29 fox fork on a regular 29er frame, would the rake change? or only the wheelbase?
what is a "regular" vs a "non-regular" frame?

G2 is a marketing campaign more than anything.

It's a 51mm offset fork on a 71 degree HT frame, per the hype.

Many, many, MANY 29er frames have "around" a 71 degree HT. Are they "regular" or "non-regular"??

I happen to be building up a 29er FS frame that features a 71degree HT angle. It's not a Fisher. I happen to be putting a G2 100mm Fox on the front. Mostly b/c it was the one I got a good deal on (ebay).

So by definition...I'll have a perfect "G2" ride/bike/combo. Exactly as Fisher spec's it, although this bike is a Titus.

Above all things: don't get sucked into the hype. Understand what it is exactly behind the hype, understand how that compares to your specific application (which frame, what HT angle does it have), and make your own decisions.

I specifically don't agree with some above who just say "go expirament"... becuase that would cost a lot of money, and it's throwing darts in the dark.

I do agree with doing some reading, some researching, learn from others, and making an informed decision based on facts, not based on marketing influence.

·
Banned
960 Posts
ncj01 said:

Many, many, MANY 29er frames have "around" a 71 degree HT. Are they "regular" or "non-regular"??

I happen to be building up a 29er FS frame that features a 71degree HT angle. It's not a Fisher. I happen to be putting a G2 100mm Fox on the front. Mostly b/c it was the one I got a good deal on (ebay).

So by definition...I'll have a perfect "G2" ride/bike/combo. Exactly as Fisher spec's it, although this bike is a Titus.

Above all things: don't get sucked into the hype. Understand what it is exactly behind the hype, understand how that compares to your specific application (which frame, what HT angle does it have), and make your own decisions.

I specifically don't agree with some above who just say "go expirament"... becuase that would cost a lot of money, and it's throwing darts in the dark.

I do agree with doing some reading, some researching, learn from others, and making an informed decision based on facts, not based on marketing influence.
g-2 isnt marketing,its a way of life:thumbsup:

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
29ERCAT said:
g-2 isnt marketing,its a way of life:thumbsup:
Oh yea, b/c I have the fork now, I'm also shopping for the matching G2 Jersey, shorts, Socks, and of course...the stickers. For the bike, my car, my water bottles, etc.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
G2 is to 29'ers as 29'ers were to 26 inch bikes. It's a complete revelation.

After switching to G2 I am more popular with the ladies, my credit score improved, my acne cleared up and.....well, I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the picture. Much like a Ginzu knife, Ronco Rotisserie or a fresh batch of Sham Wow's, G2 is truly next level.

Don't delay, get yours now!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
ncj01 said:

Sorry ncj01, but new G2 models (2008) are in the 69's deg. HA, so it should make a huge difference.

·
Registered
353 Posts
ncj01 said:

Fisher's website shows head tube angles from 69.3 on the small size to 69.9 on the XL.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
ncj01 said:
Oh yea, b/c I have the fork now, I'm also shopping for the matching G2 Jersey, shorts, Socks, and of course...the stickers. For the bike, my car, my water bottles, etc.
Make that a 69.9 degree HA for the G2 thank you very much and yes there are many 71 degree HA frames around it's just that there not G2 Fishers.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Nanobiker, zyzbot, reydin:

I was very clear I'm speaking of a FS29 w/100mm.

Let me ed-oo-min-ni-kate yews onit:

2008 HIFI PRO 29, G2
http://fisherbikes.com/archive/model/399/geometry
71 degree HT angle
Head angle (deg) 71.00 71.00 71.00 71.00
all sizes

Same with the
Deluxe at 71 degree HT angle: http://fisherbikes.com/archive/model/400/geometry
Plus at 71degree HT angle: http://fisherbikes.com/archive/model/394/geometry

You must be narrowly and mistakenly referring to the 80mm travel hardtail bikes:
The superfly, with 80mm fork..is in fact 69.3 degree HT angle
http://fisherbikes.com/archive/model/393/geometry
as is the paragon, also 80mm
http://fisherbikes.com/archive/model/394/geometry
sooooo,

Wrong, sir! WRONG! Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void IF - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy! - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."FAX MENTIS INCENDIUM GLORIA CULTUM," et cetera, et cetera..."MEMO BIS PUNITOR DELICATUM"!! It's ALL there!! BLACK and white, CLEAR as crystal!! You STOLE Fizzy-Lifting Drinks. You BUMPED into the ceiling, which now has to be WASHED and STERILIZED, so you get NOTHING! You LOSE!! GOOD DAY, SIR!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry ncj01 I did not catch the FS29 w/100mm part...
I was looking just to the "It's a 51mm offset fork on a 71 degree HT frame, per the hype." assuming that HT means hard tail ?

quick question, what about the top tube length and the chainstay length on your titus? are they similar to the HiFi Pro as well?
because the whole purpose of the 51mm offset is to compensate those lengths.

·
Jacob 34:19
511 Posts
Yikes. The weather must be bad outside.

To answer the OP's question:

To be clear, there is no such thing as a G2 fork. What you're referring to is a fork with increased offset. Rake and offset serve the same purpose, to push the front wheel forward. So, yes it will increase the rake, thus decreasing trail and making the bike handle a touch quicker (all things being equal). The HTA, fork offset (rake), and wheel radius all play into determining trail. There has been MUCH written about this topic in this forum.

There's a handy little trail calculator floating around dem internets somewhere. That might help you see how the increased offset will effect YOUR bike. That said, the numbers are only half the story. The only way to know is to buy it and try it.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
nanobiker said:
quick question, what about the top tube length and the chainstay length on your titus? are they similar to the HiFi Pro as well?
because the whole purpose of the 51mm offset is to compensate those lengths.
I SAID "GOOD DAY, SIR!!!"

ha.hah.ah.a.ha.ha.a. just kidding.

While I don't agree that the whole purpose of 51mm offset has anything at all to do with chainstay length.......

.....I have no idea the answer to your question.

I merely bought G2 b/c of the deal on ebay (would have gotten non-G2 just as well), and of course becuase chick's will dig it at the trailhead.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
ncj01 said:
Nanobiker, zyzbot, reydin:

I was very clear I'm speaking of a FS29 w/100mm.

Let me ed-oo-min-ni-kate yews onit:

2008 HIFI PRO 29, G2
http://fisherbikes.com/archive/model/399/geometry
71 degree HT angle
Head angle (deg) 71.00 71.00 71.00 71.00
all sizes

Same with the
Deluxe at 71 degree HT angle: http://fisherbikes.com/archive/model/400/geometry
Plus at 71degree HT angle: http://fisherbikes.com/archive/model/394/geometry

You must be narrowly and mistakenly referring to the 80mm travel hardtail bikes:
The superfly, with 80mm fork..is in fact 69.3 degree HT angle
http://fisherbikes.com/archive/model/393/geometry
as is the paragon, also 80mm
http://fisherbikes.com/archive/model/394/geometry
sooooo,

Wrong, sir! WRONG! Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void IF - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy! - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."FAX MENTIS INCENDIUM GLORIA CULTUM," et cetera, et cetera..."MEMO BIS PUNITOR DELICATUM"!! It's ALL there!! BLACK and white, CLEAR as crystal!! You STOLE Fizzy-Lifting Drinks. You BUMPED into the ceiling, which now has to be WASHED and STERILIZED, so you get NOTHING! You LOSE!! GOOD DAY, SIR!!!
Nice! :thumbsup: I like this part the best! 'Let me ed-oo-min-ni-kate yews onit". Indeed you did say that YOU were building a FS something or other BUT the op made no mention os such devices. Sooooo, I'll just consider my contract still valid, GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR!!!
Even if you are right (I'm not sayin you are) I'll never admit it in court, HA!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
back on topic :)...

am I right to understand... a g2 fork set on 80mm on a typical frame will make it quicken the steering.... but setting it to 100mm will make it steer similar to a standard offset fork @80mm? is that about right?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.