Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know those came in octalink.

G

·
would have to see the backside. either those are prototypes that were made useless or they require a partial spider. the logo tells that those are not overly old and probably not made in canada but taiwan.

carsten

·
Registered
143 Posts
the “STD” Forged Plate is missing. thats why they went so cheap on ebay. that plate is bolted to the crank and holds the 2 missing bolts to fix the chainring. its the same as on the syncros forged aluminium cranks. i attached the pdf to give you an impression of whats missing.

Attachments

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inigo Montoya said:
the "STD" Forged Plate is missing. thats why they went so cheap on ebay. that plate is bolted to the crank and holds the 2 missing bolts to fix the chainring. its the same as on the syncros forged aluminium cranks. i attached the pdf to give you an impression of whats missing.
Thanks for the PDF.

A four letter word now clouds my mind.

·
Visitor
781 Posts
Yeah, I think it was akin to the Bullseye Gen 1 spider.

Why oh why Syncros, why? Was it the infamous breaking forged cranks that did them in? They were doing just fine with the Revolutions and then they go and...

...another sad story in the annals of MTB.

Attachments

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Those forged Syncros cranks came with a partial spider to complete the circle, which apparently these are missing. He doesn't make that too clear in the auction.

Should look like this:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Inigo Montoya said:
ask the seller about that part. he might not know it belongs to the cranks.
i think the seller does given the statement about "NO ADDITIONAL HARDWARE OR PARTS INCLUDED". Better to say that then "MISSING IMPORTANT CHAINRING BRACKET PART" ... LOL

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,367 Posts
With all due respect, that has to be one of the dumber ideas I've ever seen. Anyone know the thought process behind these? Just curious. All I see is a fantastic opportunity for potential irritation :madman:

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
It had something to do with the net-forging process...I don;t remember the details.

Pippin Osborne was a pretty cool guy to talk to back on the day. Hi explained that crank to me at a trade show once, but it was too long ago to remember. Something to do with alignment of the grain in the forging process, and the fact that the cranks needed very little machining after the forging.

I'm sure there are engineers in the world who could explain it better...

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,367 Posts
richieb said:
the fact that the cranks needed very little machining after the forging.
I remember hearing about that too. I still can't wrap my head around it though. I wonder if near net forging is somehow different than the cold forging that say, Shimano does. Or if it's a design difference, that uses the standard process :confused:

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
With all due respect, that has to be one of the dumber ideas I've ever seen. Anyone know the thought process behind these? Just curious. All I see is a fantastic opportunity for potential irritation :madman:
nevermind.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I remember the marketing/magazine hype as when you hit a rock or log this part would break as opposed to the cranks spider breaking. Therefore all you had to do is buy that piece instead of a new crankset. Yes, of course this makes no sense because the chainring is most likely to bend first. Probably why noone else tried it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts