Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
fux said:
Ok, I have got a go-pro hd and a new pc on its way.

Can someone recomend a couple of video editing programs I can look at?

Is there anything diecent that is free that would work ok?

Cheers.
I have a Mac, but was buying some software for my sister for Christmas so I have been downloading and trying out a lot of PC video editing software.

I expected I would get Adobe Premier Elements, but after trying it I couldn't believe how terrible it was. I ended up trying three or four others and settled on Sony's Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. Its not perfect, but its worlds better than Premier. I got it on Amazon for $70.

For simple editing, you can use Windows Movie Maker 2 but I find its pretty limited to basic operations.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I tried several including Adobe Premiere Elements AND CS4, Pinacle, Cyberlink Power Director (great if it didn't crash constantly), and a few others... ended up going with Roxio 2010. It does just about everything and is much better than the last two versions.

Hope this helps

·
Scooterist
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still havn`t got my finger out yet.

Roxio looks good, although this is the first time I have heard of it.

My new pc has dual core 3.93Ghz, 4GB ram, a terra worth of hard disk and a good grafix card so I`m hoping it will cope.

Iv`e been looking up reviews on the net and Adobe doesn`t get good ones.

Sony`s Vegas gets top marks but I would love to try it before buying.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Try before you buy

fux said:
I still havn`t got my finger out yet.

Roxio looks good, although this is the first time I have heard of it.

My new pc has dual core 3.93Ghz, 4GB ram, a terra worth of hard disk and a good grafix card so I`m hoping it will cope.

Iv`e been looking up reviews on the net and Adobe doesn`t get good ones.

Sony`s Vegas gets top marks but I would love to try it before buying.
Sony has a trial version available on their website. I downloaded it last night and it seems solid, but perhaps not as intuitive as Adobe - but then again - I have Photoshop so perhaps it's me. Sony seems to be less system taxing than Adobe.
Your system seems plenty powerful for these options.
I hear that once you figure out the shortcuts and tricks for Sony (and there are lots of tutorial videos unlike Adobe who makes you be aplus emmber to access some tutorials) it is quite easy to use.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Jesterrider said:
Sony seems to be less system taxing than Adobe.
Absolutely. I had installed both Premier and the Sony software on my laptop (a very beefy laptop), and Premier brought it to its knees. The Sony software rendered much quicker and was faster overall as well as using less system resources.

I use Photoshop all the time too, but I find Premier to be hard to use. I also didn't like the fact you had to get the "Plus" account with Premier to get any decent templates and such.

Still prefer iMovie, but that is a separate thread... ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi, all

Trying different programs until i make a decision of which one to buy.

Tryed so far : Pinnacle studio 14, corel videostudio 12, sony vegas 9.

Corel doesn't load the files.

Pinnacle does load, edit, render but it doesnt have custom projects e.x. 1280*960 :madman: plus the output quality is not very good.

Sony works almost fine, i say almost because i cant load big files (3.66 GB). I get this error :

Application Version: Version 9.0c (Build 896)
Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
Fault Module: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 9.0\FileIO Plug-Ins\mcmp4plug2\mcmp4plug2.dll
Fault Address: 0x03C55A69
Fault Offset: 0x00015A69

Can anyone help with this one?

I got the GoPro HD camera

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been using Premier Elements 8. Initially I had tons of problems... crashing, freezes, sluggishness. It turns out the crashes and freezes were mostly caused by my video card drivers (nVidia). nVidia's latest release resolved many of the issues I was having.

Lately I built a computer more suited to video editing... this time I got a video card powered by ATI and now Elements 8 is even more stable. I could load 3 hours of 720p video from my GoPro HD (front facing) and 2-3 hours of video from my GoPro Wide and do multi-video track editing with mostly no problems.

One thing to note with GoPro HD / GoPro Wide files though is that if you want smooth previewing in Elements 8, you basically have to transcode them first into DV-MP4 or DV-AVI before loading them to Elements. The raw videos from GoPro will be very choppy when being previewed in Elements. The HD MP4's won't even load unless you change the extension from MP4 to AVI.

·
Registered
629 Posts
What works for me

Update - Sony gave me an error message when I tried to make a longer movie.
Corel does not import GoPro HD movies - BUT - if you just rename the files to .MOV they work fine. Corel is intuitive and offer nice extras for the price.

Pinnacle is good also. Once I figured how to create the videos in HD for both YouTube and DVD - the quality is on par with AE8.
A little Pinnacle tip is to plot the videos/music/menu/transitions on the timeline and then let the program render them. I noticed that once the bar above the timeline was fully orange the video was smooth during playback. For a 35 minute movie at 720P 60fps, with transitions, sound and music it took about 2 hours. I went to the store and just let it run - just to see if it makes a difference. When I decide not to wait, the program still runs, but it's smoother once all orange. After final editing, I'm now burning the DVD - it looks like it i going to take quite a long time - perhaps a few hours - the movie has 60,000 frames to process and a 10 chapter fancy menu.

·
PROEDGEBIKER.COM
1,304 Posts
fux said:
Ok, I have got a go-pro hd and a new pc on its way.

Can someone recomend a couple of video editing programs I can look at?

Is there anything diecent that is free that would work ok?

Cheers.
if you have W7 OS, download Windows Live Movie Maker for free and you can edit your vids with no problem(even .MOV files)

Out of all the ones i've used, Adobe Premiere CS4 by far was my favorite but lost it when i bought my new laptop, now I'm using Premiere Elements 8.0 but i'm not 100% with it, it doesnt render the vids to the format i would like.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jesterrider said:
I like Adobe PE8, but it makes huge rendering files on my PC (like 100+G??) plus it is always running 50+% of my processor in the background even when the program is not open. I like the features and ease of use with AE - heck - we use the Photoshop Elements 8 so it would be nice to keep it in the family, but not if I can't figure out how to minimize files and background processing.

Sony gave me an error message when I tried to make a longer movie. Corel does not import GoPro HD movies.
Pinnacle seems the most stable for me so far. Video preview is smooth and once I figured how to create the videos in HD for both YouTube and DVD - the quality is on par with AE8.
Click on the Premier Elements 8 Icon > Select Organize (to run Organizer) > Edit Menu > Under Preferences > Auto Analyzer Option > Uncheck Analyze All Media In Catalog.

That will prevent Organizer from running in the background. I have also disabled Auto Rendering and prefer to render manually by pressing the enter key.

·
PROEDGEBIKER.COM
1,304 Posts
cyclocommuter said:
Click on the Premier Elements 8 Icon > Select Organize (to run Organizer) > Edit Menu > Under Preferences > Auto Analyzer Option > Uncheck Analyze All Media In Catalog.

That will prevent Organizer from running in the background. I have also disabled Auto Rendering and prefer to render manually by pressing the enter key.
The only problem i'm having while using P.E.8 is that i cant figure out a way to render to .MOV in HD format.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Awesome advice!

cyclocommuter said:

Thanks for the tips. I found a way to disable background rendering and I now render manually. I also monitor the temp .AVI files Adobe creates to make sure I do not clog up my hard drive.

Thanks!!

·
Banned
76 Posts
CactusJackSlade said:
I'm running windows 7 with movie maker 2.6 and it WILL NOT recognize the MOV files...
I just installed WMM from here http://download.live.com/moviemaker and it recognizes, and plays, MOV files just fine. It also recognizes the raw MP4 files from a GoPro HD.

(W7 w/Quicktime Pro and PP CS4 installed already so maybe WMM is picking the appropriate codec up form those installs)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.