Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken my GoPro session on about a dozen trips and have some excellent footage. BUT every time I start editing a project in the GoPro Studio software, the program gets corrupted then starts to crash and die.EVERY.DANG.TIME. I later found out that the GoPro software isn't suited for lots of cuts and prolonged videos.
So, my question is this:
What simple software do you use when editing GoPro videos? I don't need anything fancy, just the ability to cut, paste, add some text, and add music. I am using a PC. I WISH I had iMovie, but I'm hoping to make do with what I've got.

·
Banned
325 Posts
WOW, What's a "google"?! Never heard of it before! Thanks, genius!

Yeah, already tried that, which is why I'm here asking people for their actual experience....
The links that I helped you with provide in-depth feedback based on the actual experience of the people that have tested many different editing suites. It's really doubtful that the folks on this low traffic forum have experience with so many different free editors.

Tom's Guide is a well-respected outfit and is just one of the links that I pointed you towards:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-free-video-editing-software,review-5301.html

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I use Adobe Premier Elements. The dumbed down version of Premiere. It's clunky but gets the job done well. The Elements version does not require the annual subscription cost like Premiere does.

I have never used, but I heard Davinci Resolve is good too.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I personally think the software provided by GoPro is severely under gunned. Especially considering the potential their cameras have. I use Filmora from Wondershare. Does everything. For even more advanced stuff, especially sound, I may use DaVinci Resolve from time to time. Both of these do more than most people need, but they are solid and full featured. Plenty of tutorials out there for them as well. The only downside is they do require more than an average PC to run, especially in the video card department.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally think the software provided by GoPro is severely under gunned. Especially considering the potential their cameras have. I use Filmora from Wondershare. Does everything. For even more advanced stuff, especially sound, I may use DaVinci Resolve from time to time. Both of these do more than most people need, but they are solid and full featured. Plenty of tutorials out there for them as well. The only downside is they do require more than an average PC to run, especially in the video card department.
Excellent. I'm guessing you got version 9? I'll probably purchase this weekend.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I use DaVinci Resolve. It's free and has a ton of features. Because of how thorough the feature set is it is a bit complicated for a beginner like me. Luckily there are a lot of videos and websites to help me figure things out.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I am still using Adobe Premiere Elements 13 - since I only shoot in 1080p and export in 1080p, does the trick for me. I don't do the Cloud thing since I am not into monthly subscriptions for software.

You might find some good deal on ebay or something for software if you want something from Adobe.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I use Adobe Premier Elements. The dumbed down version of Premiere. It's clunky but gets the job done well. The Elements version does not require the annual subscription cost like Premiere does.

I have never used, but I heard Davinci Resolve is good too.
I am still using Adobe Premiere Elements 13 - since I only shoot in 1080p and export in 1080p, does the trick for me. I don't do the Cloud thing since I am not into monthly subscriptions for software.

You might find some good deal on ebay or something for software if you want something from Adobe.
Hmmm, I have Premier Elements and never opened it. Been using Premier Pro CC but probably only use about 1.2% of its capabilities. Should take a look at it.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'd rather have Premiere but have not reason to pay annual subscriptions costs.

Elements gets the job done albeit a bit clunky at time. Editing is just as simple as with Premiere (based on Premiere videos I've watched), but the Premiere tool layout is far superior and has a few features I'd appreciate.

The interface seems like something not produced by Adobe from the other Adobe produces I've seen/used.

·
Banned
203 Posts
All softwares undoubtedly do the same things, just in different WAYS. "Best" depends on HOW you like to work. I personally use Lightroom (open RAW format, catalogolization, white balance, cropping, exposure, brightness, sharpness, lens correction and more). Then export in Photoshop ( format psd or tiff ). Add desciption, keywords, remove noise using plugin(sometimes), sharpness and export in jpg. Then I delete psd, tiff from the computer as there is not enough space. More by link
This is very funny. I also use Lightroom.

Lightroom isn't an NLE though.

Why are you using Lightroom to edit video?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Another for Davinci Resolve, free. At least on windows 7 the free version won't let you encode to 4k h264, just 1080p. If you really need to upload in 4k you can always encode it as something else and then handbrake or ffmpeg it to h264 or h265, I haven't had good luck with youtube taking a MPEG or DXhDR as 4k and actually giving me something in 4k on my channel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hum, actually the latest version of DaVinci Resolve (16) supports UHD 4K output.
For me, the problem of DaVinci Resolve is it's high memory usage. See more:https://www.videoproc.com/video-editor/davinci-resolve-review.htm
But it covers countless features, so still I recommend you to use it.
BTW, Cyberlink and Hitfilm have similar functions with Fillmora, but are faster and have better performance on common computers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hum, actually the latest version of DaVinci Resolve (16) supports UHD 4K output.
For me, the problem of DaVinci Resolve is it's high memory usage. See more:https://www.videoproc.com/video-editor/davinci-resolve-review.htm
But it covers countless features, so still I recommend you to use it.
BTW, Cyberlink and Hitfilm have similar functions with Fillmora, but are faster and have better performance on common computers.
The option is there, yes. But 4k h264 fails on the first frame for me every time. According to the forums it maybe works on windows 10, but definitively doesn't work on windows 7. I don't have a problem encoding to 4k MPEG or DXhDR except the file sizes are huge and youtube doesn't like them. If I iPad a 4k MPEG file to youtube it only produces a max of 360p video, and if I upload a DXhDR even at the lowest bitrate it will max me out at 1080p. And I only have 10mb/s up so those monster files take forever to upload.

How many fusion effects do you do to use a ton of ram? I only have 16gb myself and I never max out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.