Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I bought the Edge 205 and was really impressed with the improved accuracy over my Geko 301. Then, for Christmas I got the GPS60 csx. I've been riding with them both for a few weeks now, and I'm coming to the conclusion that the Edge is actually more accurate. I came to this conclusion just by plotting all of my tracks which cover the same trails multiple times. They are both pretty good, but the GPS60 seems to wander off route once in a while. I was a bit bummed by this because I expected it to be better than the Edge because it has this 'quad helix antenna', which is supposed to help. I was wondering if anyone else has made a head-to-head comparison like this? I did check for firmware upgrades for the GPS60, but everything seems to be up to date.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I am wondering if you set your track to pick up more often on the 60csx if it would be better? You can adust this.

I went from an older etrex to the 60csx and the 60csx lays down a much nicer track.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought the same thing at first. they are both set to most number of points. you can tell, though, it's not the number of points that is the problem. once in a while the gps60 is just off. it's still really good compared to my Geko, I was just hoping it would be even a little better than the Edge, because of the antenna.

maybe I'll take a screen shot of the comparison and post it later on tonight.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I might do the same in the next week or so. From the tracks I have downloaded I think it follows the road superbly. Some trails not so much so but I think some of the trails are not right on my software or non existant.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
richwolf said:
I might do the same in the next week or so. From the tracks I have downloaded I think it follows the road superbly. Some trails not so much so but I think some of the trails are not right on my software or non existant.
Convert your track to GPX and put it i Google Earth and zoom In. If the image was taken during the winter you can often see the trail on the ground.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
rpiontek said:
A few months ago I bought the Edge 205 and was really impressed with the improved accuracy over my Geko 301. Then, for Christmas I got the GPS60 csx. I've been riding with them both for a few weeks now, and I'm coming to the conclusion that the Edge is actually more accurate. I came to this conclusion just by plotting all of my tracks which cover the same trails multiple times. They are both pretty good, but the GPS60 seems to wander off route once in a while. I was a bit bummed by this because I expected it to be better than the Edge because it has this 'quad helix antenna', which is supposed to help. I was wondering if anyone else has made a head-to-head comparison like this? I did check for firmware upgrades for the GPS60, but everything seems to be up to date.
Did you use the 60's active track or a saved track?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I download the active track and then compare on the computer. I was looking at it carefully last night. There are a few stretches of trail where the edge and 60 are pretty far off (say 50 meters), but I only have one track of each, so it could be either one that is off.

I would think that if I save the active track log to memory on ths gps, then the two should be the same, though.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Yeah.. it could be, i the worst case, that in some segments both are "off".. and their measurements go in "opposite" directions, therefore maximizing the difference... their precision should be fairly similar regardless of the antenna

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.