Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Grizzly
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 301, and I am looking to upgrade to a 305---either the Edge or the Forerunner.

I like the wrist design of the Forerunner. I don't like having a lot of gadgets on my bike, it just seems that is asking for a broken GPS when I go over the bars, but the Edge seems to have the better cycling features.

One of the reasons I am looking to upgrade, is that the 301 has very sketchy HR readings. I just don't get a consistent signal at all. How have your readings with either of the 305 models been?

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I had the Forerunner 301 (which is no longer available, mostly because it didn't work right, I would assume), so I can only base my opinion on that. The HRM on that simply just didn't work sometimes. In the few months I had the unit I replaced the batteries about 4 times. Garmin even sent me a replacement strap, and it was just as bad as the first. Luckily I found out that REI will take products back if you're not satisfied with them. So, I exchanged the Forerunner and got their last in store Edge 305.

I haven't had any problems since. The HRM has worked flawlessly. Not sure how far off it may be, as some say the readings vary, but for offroad riding it's been great. The GPS itself is usually good. Every once in awhile if you're in canyons, riding along a mountain, or near buildings it'll cut out, but generally it's no problem. Since it's barometric you may get minor fluctuations. I was on the trainer last night and gained 12 feet in elevation (so, over 35 minutes it wasn't a huge variation).

Having the unit on the handlebar/stem hasn't been an issue for me. I've gone OTB only once since getting it, but it survived. I know hubby broke his mount once in a crash. You do get two mounts, and replacements aren't too bad.

It seems IMO that the Forerunner (at least the version I had) was more based on tri-sports, rather than biking alone. The Edge is made for biking, not running and swimming also. The wrist strap I had on the forerunner didn't last long, either. The pins that held the unit on the strap fell out more than once on rocky descents. Eventually I ended up with the bike mount anyway.

·
Registered
816 Posts
alizbee said:
Thanks.

I have had similar experiences with the 301. I have replaced pins twice in the strap, and the HR reading is almost non-existent. The more I look at the Edge the more I like it. and eBay has some killer deals at the moment....
I haven't used the Forerunner and have only had my Edge for a couple of weeks, but it sounds like the Edge seems better for your application. The HR reading seems pretty good; I've had some problems with random anomalous readings, but I think that's because the strap wasn't on right. As for the bike mount, I put mine on the stem and it's a very good fit, seems like it is tucked in pretty well and even less vulnerable that a normal cycle computer on the bars.

As for where to get it, a lot of people have bought from Geoman. Based on comments about price and service, that's where I got mine, and I was very satisfied.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive had a 305 edge for a couple of months now, it is very good. The HRM was a bit erratic on the first couple of rides but has settled down now, I found wearing the strap a bit higher than my old one (almost nipple height) improved things. Seems really stable now.
The stem mount seems really good, feels a lot more secure then using the handlebar . Although not invunerable nothing sticks out to get snapped off.
Mine seems to struggle a bit for gps reception in dense man made forest which causes the autopause to keep cutting in and out which can be annoying, so I turned that off, might get the cadence sensor later.
Despite the unit being waterproof if the tiniest piece of grit gets under the two buttons on the front they loose their click and gradually stop working. So put some tape over the buttons if your using it in muddy conditions, you can pop the buttons off by gently pushing a thin bit of flexable plastic card in from the sides and clean it out, just did mine today for the first time and gonna tape it up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been using a Forerunner 205 for the past 3weeks (I don't like HR meters). I've been looking at both the edge and the forerunner but I went with the forerunner because I do as much running as I ride. The accuracy and reception of the Forerunner has been excellent under tree cover, but the navigation functions are extremely basic. Then again, the Edge's navigation features aren't that fantastic either. If you use the Forerunner as a speedometer with altimeter functions, it'll be a good choice.

I counter-checked the speed and distance readings against my VDO C2DS cyclometer for 4 trips, the readings are very accurate for the Forerunner. Oh yes, the Polar Bike mount kit allows the Forerunner to sit on the handlebar nice and snug if you don't wish to wear it on your wrist while riding.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you're interested in altitude at all (ie you don't ride totally flat stuff) then get an Edge - it has a barometric altimeter, so much better accuracy and resolution. I'm almost tempted to get an Edge and strap it to my wrist for that reason, as the activities I do off the bike involve lots of height gain and loss too (running, XC skiing etc.), and I would really miss having the accurate altitude profile I get from my S710 if I got a Forerunner. If they made something with the functionality of the Edge in a wrist mounted unit (or even put a baro altimeter in a FR) I'd run out and buy one tomorrow!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.