Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
30,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crap. I just plugged my Edge into my computer to download my Saturday ride, and I think my Edge is bricked. I recently updated to firmware 3.2. I plugged my GPS in, got the "bleep" and then a few seconds later, I got a second "bleep". The drive for the GPS never came up.

Neither a soft reset nor a hard reset worked. The Edge won't turn on. I tried removing the memory card, then reinstalling. No dice. This is not the first report of this happening.

See:
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=9901
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=504

And these aren't the only problems with 3.2, apparently.
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=9806
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=8611
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=10297

My Edge is WAY out of warranty...but I don't feel like I should have to pay to fix Garmin's error (via the problematic firmware).

·
since 4/10/2009
30,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI, contacted Garmin support. They claim to have not heard of this problem (which I know is BS because at least one Garmin tech has responded to a discussion on the issue and the owner sent the Edge to Garmin for repair by the 11th).

Support e-mailed me a .rgn file I was supposed to run through WebUpdater. Well, since WebUpdater no longer recognizes my Edge, it didn't surprise me that the procedure didn't work.

I think Garmin's going to want me to send the receiver in for repairs...and they're going to want me to pay for it, I'm sure.

Sadly, I won't have the Edge for my trip to Hawaii later this week. I will have to fall back on one of my older, more reliable receivers...which I thankfully still have (I have been thinking of selling one recently).

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
I was hoping that was not you! Try this:

Boot Block.

This is what I got back from Garmin Support when I had problems getting training center or mapsource to recognize my garmin. I have not done this but it is good to know should the need arise again.

Please download and install the current version of WebUpdater at the following link:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webu...wtoinstall.jsp

Run WebUpdater. Before connecting your device to the computer, with the power off, press 'up' on the joystick. Plug the usb cable in and follow the instructions from WebUpdater to update the Edge's software. Be sure to keep pressing 'up' on the joystick for this entire process or it will fail. This procedure is called 'bootblock' and prevents the unit from booting up, but allows the computer to communicate with it for updates.

Note: This helped me, followed the instuctions, upgraded to 3.10 and rebooted the device, all PC's and the Mac is now able to see the Garmin 705 via USB
https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=35760&postcount=19

If that works, the use the link in the first post and downgrade to 3.1. I have been on 3.2 with no issues, but now I am nervous. I think I will downgrade to 3.1, since my one year warranty was up last month. yikes.

As for Garmin rep not knowing about it, that it likely true. Garmin reps are not well trained or informed. Cheap pay, reading a script on the computer screen. About 2-3 years back they were great. Too bad.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I hate seeing this....for Nate ( going on vacation without the 705) and me for just buying one.
Hope you get it worked out.
Mine came with 2.9 and saw the problems on the Garmin forum ( that you guys pointed me to...thanks). I was going to ask what the most stable update was...I guess I got he answer.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting SOMETHING now. My computer is detecting some USB device, but it doesn't know what it is.

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,295 Posts
Check with a different USB cable. My garmin one recently went bad, I only discovered this after spending hours trying to resolve why my computers USB no longer recognised my unit.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6thElement said:
Check with a different USB cable. My garmin one recently went bad, I only discovered this after spending hours trying to resolve why my computers USB no longer recognised my unit.
I did switch cables. No change in status. I'm going to be playing with it tonight on my laptop with a different OS (Vista). Maybe that will make a difference. I'm bringing it with me on my trip, anyway, in case I am able to fix it before I ride this weekend.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, tried with the new cable on my laptop, and could get WebUpdater to see the GPS using bootblock, but the following message came up.

And FYI, that guy had the bootblock procedure incorrectly.

1: Push "UP" on the joystick and hold.
2: Plug in USB
3: "Soft Reset" (lap+mode while holding "UP" on the joystick)
4: Release lap+mode, but continue holding "UP" on the joystick
5: run WebUpdater
6: hold "UP" until the process is complete

Attachments

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't plugged my 705 into the computer for about a week, but now I'm scared too.
I'm not sure what version I'm running, and I just upload everything to topofusion on the laptop, then from the laptop to a flash drive to my desktop for garmin training center.
I'll be curious too look when I get back from vacation next week.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Dang. Sorry Nate.

See the post that someone else got theirs replaced free out of warrant on Garmin Forums. Call them back and tell them what you have read in the Garmin Forums. It never hurts to ask to talk to a manager too.

I kind of ignored the early reports there, since there are so many complainers. With your post, I did downgrade to 3.1 on mine. It took me a few hours to work up the courage to plug it in, put it did work.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I can get to a post office here in Hawaii, I may ship mine out this week (assuming the Garmin rep gets back to me on the RMA before I leave). That way, I'll have a little less "impatient waiting" to learn of the status.

I did bring my 76, so I can track my rides here. Just no HR.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Nate...just what you wanted to do on vacation, right?See the island's P.O.?Be sure to take pics!

I haven't even gotten mine on the bike yet( too many hard rides and races to have a new toy on the bars) and had it died while I was putzing with it. Had to do the hard reset and it seems to be working.....we'll see.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Garmin seems none too rushed to get me an RMA so far. At this point, I'll be sending it off to Garmin when I get home. It'll probably get to them sooner.

I became a coffee snob today. Visited an organic Kona coffee plantation.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my RMA. Thankfully, I still appear to be under warranty coverage. I'm dropping the GPS in the mail today to get it repaired/replaced.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Did you try the recovery file that was posted on the Garmin Forums? I grabbed it for future possible failures. Two users there reported success.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
slocaus said:
Did you try the recovery file that was posted on the Garmin Forums? I grabbed it for future possible failures. Two users there reported success.

I tried the file that Garmin tech support e-mailed me with no luck.

It didn't work because even when I used the boot block method (part of using the recovery file), the computer could still not communicate to the device.

The people who were able to get it to work must not have been having the same problem I'm having.

I tried to see what file you're referring to that was posted on the Garmin forums, but there are now so many discussions about 3.2 firmware that I don't want to wade through all of them to find it.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
NateHawk said:
I tried the file that Garmin tech support e-mailed me with no luck.

It didn't work because even when I used the boot block method (part of using the recovery file), the computer could still not communicate to the device.

The people who were able to get it to work must not have been having the same problem I'm having.

I tried to see what file you're referring to that was posted on the Garmin forums, but there are now so many discussions about 3.2 firmware that I don't want to wade through all of them to find it.
This post. Direct link to file.

I was almost tempted to move up to 3.2 again, if I knew this could save my bacon if it bricked. I'll stay at 3.1, mine is past warranty by some months.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
NateHawk said:
Okay, that's the same file tech support sent me. It no workie.
Ok, thanks. Damn......... Hoped it would.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts