Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to purchase an Edge 305 soon, I have read alot of the good threads here comparing Edge 305s to 205s to Forerunners to gsx60-70s. I'm not super-savy to GPS units so I just want to confirm that the 305 will do what I want before I buy it. I'm only using it for cycling/training.

1. I ride with other guys who seem to know every hidden trail there is and since I'm following I'm not paying attention to where were going I'm just riding, I want to ride and record a route and then upload to GoogleEarth etc and see where we went. If possible while on the trail enter a nav point at intersections.

2. Go riding by myself or others who don't know the route and be able to follow a pre-recorded route and get some indication when/which way to turn at the different nav points.

3. Can you email/share routes with other 305 users

I realize these are really simple newbie questions so thanks in advance for feedback

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
1) Check - Easy (Will need to use Motion Based to get a GPX File)
2) Check - Not done it but seen it done. It will require finding the route from someone else or recording it yourself once.
3) Check - Back to motion based is the easiest way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! :thumbsup: I figured it would do the basic things I'm looking for but I had to make sure, where's the best place to download+purchase$ for Motionbased

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I just started doing #2. I guess there's at least one other edge 305 user in my town and I downloaded the .crs (course) files and I was able to successfully follow their tracks, twice now. And it's in an area with like a thousand forks in the road and cross roads so I went off course a few times (you can't ride while staring at the screen, well, at least I can't) but found my way again each time.

To do #1 you will need ot get an account on motion based and once you upload your tracks, you can download a .kml file that can be loaded into google earth.

BM

Here's a screen shot of rides I've done on Google Earth. I'm also starting to add pictures through panoramio.com that should eventually show up in Google Earth too. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
668 Posts
blindsquirrel said:
1. I ride with other guys who seem to know every hidden trail there is and since I'm following I'm not paying attention to where were going I'm just riding, I want to ride and record a route and then upload to GoogleEarth etc and see where we went. If possible while on the trail enter a nav point at intersections.

2. Go riding by myself or others who don't know the route and be able to follow a pre-recorded route and get some indication when/which way to turn at the different nav points.

3. Can you email/share routes with other 305 users

I realize these are really simple newbie questions so thanks in advance for feedback
1. The Edge is perfect for this.
2. Haven't tried this yet on a trail that I'm not familiar with but it seems to work - with a Vista or 60CS it's easier.
3. Besides MotionBased (free version only allows saving 10 trips, and it works really sluggish IMO) you could try our site where you can find and share gpx and kml files (100% free) as well as a bunch of other sites (search for threads with keywords 'gps sharing' or so in this forum).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,

I use Motion Based but get frustrated with the wait associated with having an online system. A comparable program and in someways better is sport tracks http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ plus its free.

To make your own courses try this utility, it works pretty well. Just click through your course and then it will save it to a crs file http://cc2.bradculberson.com/

Once you have made the route you can load into garmin training center (comes with the unit) and add course markers, left here right there etc

Using these new GPS units and various tools is a blast and you wont regret getting one. Being able to look at the trail you have just ridden on google earth is really quite cool !

Have fun

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You don't have to have a motion based account to get GPX files. There is a CRS to GPX converter available and you can use GPSBabel to convert to dozens of other file formats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.