Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Voice of Reason
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a new frame and i'm looking at a niner or a salsa. what are the chances that either of them is american made. who makes frames in the u.s.anymore short of custom built?

·
Bike to have fun.
153 Posts
My vote is Salsa, QBP makes a great frame, even if they are produced in Tawain.

Where are your frames made?
All our frames are designed here in Minnesota. They are then handmade in small numbers in Taiwan. Our production facilities there are the most modern shops we’ve seen with amazingly experienced welders, fabricators, and painters.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
could buy used... then you don't need to worry about it being made in USA... you know the money is going to the US :)... then again you saw the warranty issue with that doh

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
.downhillfaster. said:
Even your avatar no longer represents USA ownership!

But having had 2 Salsa Mariachis, I can tell you that you can't go wrong with them, no matter where they are made.
Nice....can't say I'm always that observant. Bud lost a lot of credibility in the last few months if you ask me. Bud man, Cub fan is about American as mayonaise on potato wedges these days.

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Ventana, Turner and Ellsworth I believe are all US made. Qball is a stock frame made in the US by Scott Quiring. Lynskey has some stock bikes that are made in the US.

Curtlo and Waltworks make some great custom frames at affordable prices, in the US.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Timo said:
Nice....can't say I'm always that observant. Bud lost a lot of credibility in the last few months if you ask me. Bud man, Cub fan is about American as mayonaise on potato wedges these days.
On the one hand, one could say "it's a global economy, get over it...".

And on the other hand, one could say "if you are wasting your time drinking Bud - no matter where it is HQ'd", you haven't discovered beer yet.:D

Now if we're talking Budvar or the Budweiser produced in the Czech Republic - that's beer worth drinking. Big time!

BB

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
QBP does not make bikes!!!

grantheppes said:
My vote is Salsa, QBP makes a great frame, even if they are produced in Tawain.

Where are your frames made?
All our frames are designed here in Minnesota. They are then handmade in small numbers in Taiwan. Our production facilities there are the most modern shops we've seen with amazingly experienced welders, fabricators, and painters.
QBP is a distributor of bike components. They don't make jack, they are just the middle man....

And by the way, we have a global economy. Made in USA does not always make business sense and it barely exists. American companies outsource manufacturing with the intention to increase margins, lower inventory, etc. They would focus on marketing and let someone else do the labor. Mom and pop shops that build custom frames have a niche market and that is their business model custom - high price - low volume.

As far as quality - taiwan has better welding technology than anyone in the world. So by buying Salsa or Niner you are actually supporting an American business with American jobs. The robots are in taiwan (not human - real robots).

Just because a frame was welde in US soil (probably by a foreigner), does not make it "American".

This traditional "made in USA" thinking is what drove the big 3 to the brink of extintion...

So please - no more "made in USA" questions anymore!!! 95% or more of frames are welded in Taiwan and China, so accept it and move on.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
As mentioned earlier, Curtlo and Waltworks make some great Hardtails and they are relatively inexpensive. You get a custom frame for not much more than a Ventana hardtail, for example. Ventana's Hardtails (and all their bikes) are also made in their own factory in California....good bikes too.

For US-made full suspension bikes, I'd look at Turner, Titus, Ventana, and the new Intense models. I think there are a couple more that are still made here.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Zion Rasta said:
hey don't make jack, they are just the middle man...
For the sake of argument the same could be said about Turner. They're a very good design and marketing company that uses a US-based fabricator to make their frames. And no, "assembling" ain't "making".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.