Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it in mind that I'd like to have a FS 29er. I haven't really had the funds though. But when Speedgoat dropped the price on the Big Mama (one of the frames on my short list) I decided to pull the trigger. I've tried to keep the build as inexpensive as possible though. I mainly ride trails / technical single track (Ridgeland Trails here in Mississippi) and just don't need everything to be top shelf. I just need it to work well.

So here's what I've got:

Frame: 600
Parts I needed: 230 (Truvativ Stylo 1.1 crank & BB, Cane Creek S-3 Headset, Sram chain, Truvativ Stylo seatpost, Avid Speed Dial 7 levers & a shock pump)
Transfered from my Redline D440: Manitou Drake fork, handlebar and stem, wheels, shifter and derailleur, pedals, grip and brakes)
Besides what came on the D440, the fork was 300 and the BB5 brakes about 50 for both.

I them paid a local mechanic to install the headset and bottom bracket and purchased some cables and housings from him. That was about 65.

Not counting the original cost of the D440 that's about 1200 in all.

I did the remainder of the build last week. That's the first time I've done that much on a bike. So far everything works well. Its been raining with tornadoes here so I've only been able to go up and down the street and over some curbs. I took the photos in between the passing showers. I hope to get the bike on some trails tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to get out for a quick 12 mile ride today. My first impressions about this frame are really good. It handles much better than my Redline. The Redline felt like I really had to force it thru tight curves and it was hard to adjust my line going down the trail. Big Mama steers well thru tight curves and adjust easily.

The rear suspension was a little stiffer than I thought it would be but that's kind of a good thing. It took the edge off of big hits but I still felt connected to the trail. That's something I was concerned about coming from a hardtail. I plan to do some adjusting with the shock's psi just to see what kind of changes it makes. My biggest problem with the hardtail was the wear on my over 40 back. Looks like this frame is really going to help in that department.

mtnbiker72, thanks for the heads up, signature updated.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was really pissed that they didn't have any large or XL frame sizes at that price. I'd drop the cash right now for one.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Excellent job.:thumbsup:

Good, solid parts pick for the buck. It should give you a lot of smiles per dollar.:)

I'm looking at UPS tracking, and have a Behemoth frame and big box of parts from Pricepoint arriving tomorrow for my "Budget Behemoth". A lot of our parts picks are similar. Just shows you don't have to put down $4,000 for a nice 29er FS.

You must be as stoked as I am. I am jonesing to get mine together. I may have to call in sick on Tuesday.;)

Too bad you don't live closer, we could have the "Econo Mama" and "Budget Behemoth" on the trail together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RealK - I thought this bike climbed better than the Redline. I'm running a 1x8, which is what came on the Redline, with 32t front and an 11-34 cassette. On steep climbs with the Redline I usually had to get out of the saddle and drop to the lowest gear. With the Salsa I was able to mostly stay seated and found myself in the second to lowest gear a lot. Not sure why, maybe frame size. The Redline was a little small for me and this frame is a large and fits me better. May just be the frame geometry. Pedal-bob wasn't an issue though.

twowheels - I got my parts from PP as well. I love modern package tracking technology. The worse part was the day it arrived here. Every few hours I'd look and see the parts were 'out for delivery'. I kept wanting to stop any UPS truck and ask if they had my parts. They finally delivered after 5pm so I had to wait until the next day to get my mechanic lined up. I look forward to seeing photos of the 'Budget Behemoth'.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
you got the large...? what are your cycling dimensions? height, weight, etc.? thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Out of curiousity - why do you have a spacer on the drive side? You've got a 73mm shell, which theoretically uses no spacers with truvativ cranks. Chainline issues?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm 6'-1" / +/- 185lbs with a 34" inseam. The large fits me well.

I'm not sure about the spacer. I noticed it, but I had a mechanic install the bottom bracket. I watched him go back and forth with it. He installed it without the spacer first, but I think he couldn't get the flange to seat all the way. (just my guess) He ended up just putting the one spacer on the drive side. Seems find to me, I don't notice any chain line issues.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
utherpendragon said:
I watched him go back and forth with it. He installed it without the spacer first, but I think he couldn't get the flange to seat all the way. (just my guess) He ended up just putting the one spacer on the drive side.
Noticed the same issue on mine when test fitting a Truvativ crank. Couldn't get all the play out of the crank with the bolt fully torqued.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
wv_bob said:
Noticed the same issue on mine when test fitting a Truvativ crank. Couldn't get all the play out of the crank with the bolt fully torqued.
For me, that meant I needed to remove all of the spacers. I kept wrestling with trying to get the play out and it was starting to piss me off, so I read the instructions :p

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
I already had all the spacers out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts