Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Older than I feel
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you might expect, there were a lot of branches down. I only found two trail blockages as a result though, Resolution right near the junction with Fir, and Tafoni about halfway between the Skeggs trailhead and Fir. The Resolution blockage requires an off-trail hike-a-bike because a whole madrone tree fell across the trail.

The trails were a bit squishy in spots, notably Sierra Moreno, but Resolution, Crosscut, Crossover, and Manzanita are all in good shape.

There weren't many folks out this AM. No surprise, it was friggin' cold and windy! Did see a few familiar faces though.

·
Registered
883 Posts
And...

We encountered a pretty serious blockage on Crossover. Trails were nice though. I rode with my neoprene gloves and booties, riding shirt + long sleeve shirt + windbreaker and knee warmers. Cold it was!

G

·
We hit tafoni,manzinita, up timberview and then steam donkey from the top gate by bear gultch. despite the debris traction was sweet and only a few puddles here and there.

·
new and improved
398 Posts
brr.

Rode parts of Lawrence, Blue Blossom, Gordon, and Springboard this morning around 10. Although the trails were übertacky and there were few puddles, there were a lot of branches strewn about, and it was so numbingly cold that the ride was almost not worth the effort. I had three layers on and the wind gusts up around Skyline made me feel like I was naked. The bottom of the park was warmer than the top.

Time to break out the wool jersey.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
El Santo said:
Rode parts of Lawrence, Blue Blossom, Gordon, and Springboard this morning around 10. Although the trails were übertacky and there were few puddles, there were a lot of branches strewn about, and it was so numbingly cold that the ride was almost not worth the effort. I had three layers on and the wind gusts up around Skyline made me feel like I was naked. The bottom of the park was warmer than the top.

Time to break out the wool jersey.
I wore a t shirt (cotton), and a pair of racing gloves, riding shorts, and shinguars, and my FF helmet. It was pretty cold, I could feel it in my fingers

G

·
Some of the best conditions EVER for this time of year

I got up to Skeggs around 11:30 A.M. and rode Fir to Resolution. The Madrone was gone by the time I got there. After Resolution we rode back up to the Dumps and took Blue Hair Gummer (Sierra Morena) to gate 3. Conditions were good on the Blue Hair. From there we headed over to gate 4 where we rode on Skyline to gate 5. There were some branches down on Sprngboard for the first 150 yards.

From there we hung a left and rode down Heart Pop Hill to Lawence Creek. Heart Pop was in good shape and when we got to LC we turned right and rode at 15 MPH to Gary's Short Cut (aka; Blue Blossom aka: 39). What a surprise Gary's was, for some reason the trail was in super tacky condition. Puddles were non existint and you could keep your speed just below 15 MPH on the straight a ways with no problem.

From the end of Gary's we dropped down Springboard and ended up on Gordon Mill where we rode out to gate 3. By the time we got out the wind was dying out and it turned out to be a beautiful ride day at Skeggs.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
John Finch said:
I got up to Skeggs around 11:30 A.M. and rode Fir to Resolution. The Madrone was gone by the time I got there. After Resolution we rode back up to the Dumps and took Blue Hair Gummer (Sierra Morena) to gate 3. Conditions were good on the Blue Hair. From there we headed over to gate 4 where we rode on Skyline to gate 5. There were some branches down on Sprngboard for the first 150 yards.

From there we hung a left and rode down Heart Pop Hill to Lawence Creek. Heart Pop was in good shape and when we got to LC we turned right and rode at 15 MPH to Gary's Short Cut (aka; Blue Blossom aka: 39). What a surprise Gary's was, for some reason the trail was in super tacky condition. Puddles were non existint and you could keep your speed just below 15 MPH on the straight a ways with no problem.

From the end of Gary's we dropped down Springboard and ended up on Gordon Mill where we rode out to gate 3. By the time we got out the wind was dying out and it turned out to be a beautiful ride day at Skeggs.
John-

Sounds like you are an "old timer" re: Skeggs and a walking historical trail names database (that, or you are riding unmarked trails). Wondering if we could prevail upon you to match up the current trail names with the more colorful names you evidently know. The only 2 I recollect are "911" and "Faceplant." It's been so long since I rode those that I can't exactly pinpoint where they used to be.

Adding to the trail report: The fallen tree on Crossover that Shiloh mentioned has taken most of the trail where it was rooted with it and will require some trail work to repair. It is just like the other fallen tree on that trail that fell last year (and is only about 10 yards beyond it) where the roots tore out the trail. I'm assuming they will fill in the trail on this new fallen tree much like they did on last year's.

Cheers,

Michael

G

·
Life not the same without those trails!

The only 2 I recollect are "911" and "Faceplant." It's been so long since I rode those that I can't exactly pinpoint where they used to be.

914 not 911 was on Methusalah (sp?) about 100 yards below the North Leaf intersection.

Faceplant ended above the Steam Donkey (aka: 10/21) /Gordon Mill intersection. The old trail started back towards gate 2 off of Blue Hair Gummer (aka: Sierra Morena). When you ride on BH towards gate 3 from gate 2 you will come to a left turn on the trail (about 250 yards from gate 2) with a CNAT sign on your right. If you could ride the closed trail it would take you to the top of a knoll. At the top of the knoll you use to be able to drop down a trail to your right called Torco. The Faceplant trail continued straight past Torco and dropped down to Gordon Mill.

About 125 yards from gate 2 (towards Faceplant) you pass a CNAT sign on you right which is the old Nose Break trail that dropped you down to the Timberview trail.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
553 Posts
I may be mistaken but I thought the trails were called Nosebreak and Devil's Staircase. I can't remember because I haven't ridden at Skeggs since those trails were closed. I was contemplating going back out there recently but I heard Rangers were giving out speeding tickets left and right.

G

·
You are correct

I guess I had a senior moment. The Face Plant trail was also off of Methusala (Sp?). The start of the old trail was close to the small bridge that crosses the drainage near the top of the singletrack section above the creek going towards Giant Salamander.

What was interesting about that trail is that some guy got an infection from a fall in Skeggs (maybe on that trail) and he died due to complicationns of the infection. In his rememberance his mom planted a redwood tree on the trail near the top where it hooks back to the Methusala trail. When we use to ride the old alignment I would always think about the guy when ever I would pass the tree she planted.

One of the other trails I miss is the Camero drop down from gate 7 about 75 yards below the gate the trail exited near an old Camero that must have been flattened by a bull dozer. The trail started off of Star Hill road about 200 yards after you pass the El Corte de Madera Creek trail exit going towards gate 8.

I wonder how long it will take Midpen to cut the tree out on Cross Over? That sure is a fun trail.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Dude-

You are a veritable "treasure trove" of info on Skeggs. Any other name/trail changes you know?

The tree on Crossover is a BIG ONE (just like the one that already fell last year). I hope they take care of it soon because the trail is essentially gone at the tree's base.

Thanks for chiming in.

Michael

·
Registered
922 Posts
SOG said:
.....trails were called Nosebreak and Devil's Staircase....
The best of the best.....many good...no great times on those trails.

Anyway, put in about 2.5 hrs at Skeggs today. The trails I hit (Tafoni, Fir, Manzanita, Cross Over, Gordon Mill, Sierra Morena, Blue Blossom) are all in rippin' fast shape. There were some downed trees on two trails requiring dismount and hike a bike...One on Cross Over and 2 about halfway-ish down Blue Blossom (one of em was a serious PITA).

Have fun if you hit it up!

MSH

G

·
Three Rags

Three Rags was another really cool trail that has been closed. This trail started off of Tafoni just slightly before or after the Sand Stone Formation trail. As you ride down Tafoni near SSF you would look to your left to see were the trailhead was. I don't remember if it has a CNAT sign or not. Before the trail was closed it dropped down off of Tafoni and exited about 50 yards above the exit of A&W (aka: Drano) on the El Corte de Madera Creek trail where it use to get real sloppy in the winter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here's some more trails. Most are gone. None forgotten...

Pipeline
Nosebreak
Devil's Staircase
Deja vu (Now Steam Donkey)
Parachute
Face Plant
Broken Sun Glasses
Aerial Tree
Gary's Shortcut ( Now Blue Blossom)
Log Jump (Now Giant Salamander)
Parallel Trail (Closed portion that dropped off the top of Sierra Moreno)

There were also cool trails that ran parallel to the main drag (some call it Broadway), that have also been closed. Of the longer trails, Nosebreak is the one I miss the most. It really had it all.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
NOJ said:
Here's some more trails. Most are gone. None forgotten...

Pipeline
Nosebreak
Devil's Staircase
Deja vu (Now Steam Donkey)
Parachute
Face Plant
Broken Sun Glasses
Aerial Tree
Gary's Shortcut ( Now Blue Blossom)
Log Jump (Now Giant Salamander)
Parallel Trail (Closed portion that dropped off the top of Sierra Moreno)

There were also cool trails that ran parallel to the main drag (some call it Broadway), that have also been closed. Of the longer trails, Nosebreak is the one I miss the most. It really had it all.
Where were these?

Pipeline
Devil's Staircase
Parachute
Broken Sun Glasses
Aerial Tree

Don't worry, I have NO intention of doing anything illegal, but I rode many of these when I was a noob and would love to know where their trail heads were as a kind of nostaglic reference to orient myself.

I remember Nosebreak. Man I loved that trail...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pipeline: Started off El Corte de Madera just before the entrance of North Leaf. Ran along the creek bed and ended at the bottom of Methuselah. Had alot of obstacles. Beautiful, but you had to be patient and not in a hurry. It wasn't for everyone.
Devil's Staircase: Started on the same knoll as Nosebreak. You'd go left before the short steep climb. At the time, had a tough drop, then a pretty good rock garden toward the bottom. Would be interesting to see what it would be like on todays bikes. I'm guessing it wouldn't seem tough at all.
Parachute: Steep trail that connected at the start of faceplant, right when it started to get steep. It dropped from above. I believe you took fir trail to get to the start.
Broken Sun Glasses: You took this at the end of south leaf to get to the fire road that dropped down to the Aerial Tree. This was before the new connector was built. It was steep in spots, but was better than taking the old connector, which was pretty badly rutted. Aerial Tree wasn't a trail, but a way of getting across Lawerence Creek. I remember walking across it, thinking this isn't very bright...:)

All of these trails are unrideable now. Very hard to even find traces of them. The trails there now are great. No need to look back. A little more erosion on Resolution, and it will be right up there with these.:) They definitely made Skeggs a more technical place to ride, but not necessarily a more fun place to ride.

G

·
Several Others

Broken Sunglasses (aka: Cheap Sunglasses)
Fenceline
Library
Offspring
Heavens Gate
Boiler
Woops
Rut Hill
Trail that started at the top of GS and dropped down to the middle of Heinous
Ski Run
Drano Squared (Cubed?)
The Trail that started near gate 3 and dropped down to 10/21 (Steam Donkey aka:Green Gate)
Voodo (aka:Steam Donkey)
Big Tree
Bent Tree ( aka: Murry's)
Jersey Shred
OH **** (Dropped Down to Boiler from Garys)
Rick's Downfall (aka: Top Tube Boogie aka: Pelvic Thrust)
Hippy (Right and Left)
Skid Row
Randy's Bypass :)
Sammy Miller
Hoboken:nono:

·
We need more wax
307 Posts
you missed some:

Hard Left
Thunderdome
Phil's

all these dropped from Timberview down to Gordon Mill

Wasn't there a trail that dropped from Skyline (near the one house between Gates 2 and 3)directly down to Gordon Mill? It would have crossed the current Sierra Moreno trail

Skegg's really used to rock :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.