Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it is possible to remove an eccentric from the bottom bracket. I ordered a Gary Fisher Mullet SS (single speed) off Ebay thinking i would be able to put a front deraileur on it. It has an eccentric bottom bracket so im wondering if its possible to remove the eccentric and run a regular crank in this frame?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
No it is not....

possible to remove the eccentric, but it is possible to run a tripple ring crank with no problem. The eccentric fits in an oversized bottom bracket housing that is part of the bike. It's much to large to accept a standard bottom bracket, or even a non-standard bottom braket. The eccentric halves are basically two wedges that are forced together an lock in via bolt tentsion, similar to a quil type stem. Each half is bored and threaded concentricaly to accept a standard bottom bracket. Without them there would be nothing to hold the BB. Take a look at the Ferrous, Fishers steel hardtail. It comes set up with a 3X9 drive train and is equiped with an excentric bb.

The reason for the eccentric bb system is to make it easy to convert to or from single speed, and to allow the use of vertical drop outs instead of horizontal and still allow for chain tension adjustment when running as a SS. The only thing you should have to do is pick your crank set and get a derailleur hanger for the rear and you'll be in business. The only detail that you'll have to find out from Fisher, or others that have done the conversion, is the orientation of the eccentric for proper crank position when used in a geared set up.

Good Dirt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.