Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows of any moderately priced SS frames with an eccentric bottom bracket. (I use disc brakes and the EBB seems like the best solution for tensioning the chain, while maintaining caliper alignment.) So far I have only found the JensonUSA Zion frames which are cheep ($250), but a bit heavy, or high end frames which are much nicer, but priced in the $850 and up range. Are there any options priced somewhere in the middle (say about $500).

Thanks,

Mike

·
donkey
263 Posts
the monocog flite/ monocog flite 29er is offered as a frame set. Not sure of the price, but it should be cheap, and it'll come w/ a matching rigid fork. Plus, disc specific!

Edit: But, they use paragon style sliders, not an ebb. Just as easy (in my opinion), and i haven't heard any horror stories about squeaking and siezing with sliders, unlike some ebb systems.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
nbrennan said:
the monocog flite/ monocog flite 29er is offered as a frame set. Not sure of the price, but it should be cheap, and it'll come w/ a matching rigid fork. Plus, disc specific!

Edit: But, they use paragon style sliders, not an ebb. Just as easy (in my opinion), and i haven't heard any horror stories about squeaking and siezing with sliders, unlike some ebb systems.
Both EBB problems have a simple fix... grease ;) I have had non in almost 2 years with my Zion

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just picked up a soul cycles Hooligan frame with EBB for 170 bucks from their web site. Great looking frame with a spiffy blue paint job. I almost have it built up, I'm waiting for the rear wheel to be built.

·
donkey
263 Posts
I know ebb problems are usually due to chronic neglect, but i still don't like the idea of messing with my seat position. I would avoid making a superlative statement asserting that one is superior to another.

·
Registered
185 Posts
One of the guys I ride with occasionaly has broken 2 redline 29ers in a very short amount of time. I believe the failure happened at the drop out.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The Niner SIR is $800. It's one helluva bike. It's my favorite bike ever. It might be a little on the expensive side, but it sure is sweet. There's also the Salsa El Mariachi with rigid fork for $880 at speedgoat.com. Can't think of any $500 EBB frames....

·
donkey
263 Posts
I want to get a 29er that i could run geared or SS and i'm considering the el mariachi and the redline monocog flite. Do you have any more information about how those two frames failed?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
GT and Jamis have complete EBB disc hardtail SS's this year which retail for less than the niner frame does alone.

·
Registered
215 Posts
GT Peace 9. About $550 complete, EBB and V brakes, AFAIK.

Org. Never mind - you want discs. Sorry about that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.