Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,
just got my hands on a nice reynolds mtb frame that i want to make into a singlespeed.
Apart from possibly gripsports is there anywhere else to get an eccentric bottom bracket installed and poss some disc tabs. I don't want just horizontal dropouts.
cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ummm!!!!!!!

carbonboy said:
guys,
just got my hands on a nice reynolds mtb frame that i want to make into a singlespeed.
Apart from possibly gripsports is there anywhere else to get an eccentric bottom bracket installed and poss some disc tabs. I don't want just horizontal dropouts.
cheers
Ummm,
If it is Reynolds 853 frame, I have been told that the tubing will go brittle if re-welded (please correct me on this anyone) or at least thats what Paconi said. But if you are in Melbourne, try the Bike Bar in Brunswick, they put in some track drop-outs in to an old Perkins road frame (yes kids, that right, a road bike!!!!) for me. The dude at the Bike Bar is a "full-on bike-lovin'-unit" (my description not his). The guys at Spoke'n in the city have his contact details. Thylacine might be able to do it, if you ask nicely. One question is, do you have all the parts for the conversion? When i converted an old hard tail to SS, i just used a White Industries ENO hub for the rear wheel and had a V-brake on the rear. The most expensive part was the hub at $235.00 + a slab for a wheel build. This set-up for has worked sweet and i have had many a race with no probs, you get the hub from Pushi on King Street in Melbourne. These guys are pretty full on into SS as well, I think they have one of Thylacine's bike down there if it hasn't been sold.
Do you really need a eccentric thingy when it'll probably be way cheaper to just get track ends put in and just have one disc up front with a V-brake in the rear.

This has been a lager-soaked, uneducated, biased, and retarded responce from Aussie

Party Tip: When handing a beer to someone say 'Ever been to India', they say "No", you reply 'well get this India'......................MMAATTE!!!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh yeah i forgot to mention

carbonboy said:
cheers aussie,
it is a reynolds 521 magnum(?) tubing frame.
Adelaide is home for me but will look into those melbourne guys.
cheers
yeah i might go some track ends after all.
This is the link to Spoke'n www.spoken.com.au.
If it gets to exxie, On-One bikes does an eccentric bb frame and Cannondale also do one, but as a whole bike. Selling the Reynolds frame on e-bay and buying new frame (mmmmmmmmm new frame!!) might be cheaper than going through the whole SS upgrade this and that. I know that when I do the sums for my convertion, I had mild heart failure at the ammount that i spent.

Aussie............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.