Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking for a fun cheap hardtail frame to build and the two I've been eyeing lately are NS Eccentric and NS Surge Evo frames. Both have the geometry I'm after but I have a few questions.

This bike is for my wife, however if I'm lucky enough I may be able to build it to accommodate me taking it out every once in a while with a longer dropper post. This introduces it's own sizing limitations which I understand, but I'm thinking a medium frame in the NS eccentric or a large in the Surge would work for her and potentially work for me. She is 5'5 with 30.5" inseam, anyone out there riding one of these bikes in that size range with experience on this? I'd say based on the numbers she's on the cusp of a small or medium.

As far as the frames go, the surge is steel (better feel from riding past steel HT) and is smaller/more freeride looking geo. It has non boost rear width. The eccentric I like because it has the new boost spacing, lighter, slightly cheaper and won't rust (PNW consideration I suppose). Ideally I'd be building this on a 26 or 27.5 wheels with a 140-160 fork and a 1x10/11 drivetrain if I can source parts.

With all this said, which would you choose? Is boost spacing worth accounting for/future proofing if I were to take parts off of this bike and swap to another HT in the future or does it really matter that much? Am I losing out on feel with the aluminum if I chose to go the eccentric route?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'd wonder if the Surge would be a bit overbuilt, due to it's freeride/slopestyle intentions, and therefore lose some of that steel feel.
I just bought a Surge frame, it's not built up yet but yeah I don't expect it'll be a nice compliant frame like one would expect from a higher end MTB. The stays are beefy compared to my Nimble 9 which I find to be a pretty comfortable frame.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I agree with the others about the Surge. I'd have come close to buy one a few times as a play bike but I don't think it would be an amazing main bike.

Have you considered the Ragley Marley or Piglet?

Reactions: OldSchoolMBer
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.