Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just scored one for $35, get it while it's hot!:

Easton EC70 Zero 400mm 30.9 White Logo Seatpost | Easton | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

The description says it's the same as the 90 but 25g heavier because of the aluminum head. Is it possible to purchase the EC90 carbon head mechanism (can't find it) or other aftermarket item? Or make one? I remember seeing something about someone making their own, but can't find it at 4am...

·
Registered
373 Posts
The old ec90 is the same as the ec70 but with a carbon top cradle. I am sure there are a lot of broken easton ec90 posts out there, but I don't know how to find them.

If you were wondering, I have two almost broken posts of that design, so I am not ready to let anything go yet.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J L Titanium TI Bolts for Easton EC90 EC70 Zero Seatpost | eBay

Ti bolts

J L M6 Seat Post Yokes Fit Easton EC70 Offset EA70 EA50 EA30 Havoc 3T Dorico Blk | eBay

New clamps

Just replace the top clamp. I had ec90 and 70 and the big difference like rocky said is the top clamp not being carbon

Perfect! Thank you.

Edit, The yokes linked are M6, the 0 offset post uses m5 bolts, so these yokes will fit:

J L M5 Seat Post Yokes for Easton EC90 Zero Offset EC70 Zero Haven 3T Doric Blk | eBay

I guess what I really needed was the name of the part......

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I bought one of these a couple months ago when they were $30 or $35 and used parts from a Woodman SL I had on the bike, kept the cradle for rail protection as there wasn't allot of weight savings with the Woodman cradle but allot of weight in the yoke and bolts.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good to know, ty. Just waiting for it to arrive...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got my yokes and ti bolts today, seatpost now weighs 187g :) thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
don't need it now, but I am curious, how did you break it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I do not know if it has changed at all or not, but I was looking at getting a EC90. I have read on some other forums that the EC90's do not stay in place with heavier riders. Anyone experience this? I am 6' and 210. I do not want to buy it and have it not stay in place and point to the sky. I would rather but the EC70 and save a few $$$ also. Any one have any pro's or con's to either?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
5'11 180lbs, no issues with my EC 70 moving, either at the saddle or seat-tube.

With a 2-bolt seat clamp there should be no issues with the seat rotating up/down (which is what I think you mean by "pointing at the sky")

If it slides down, you can get a 2 bolt seat-clamp that grips the seat-tube AND the seat-post just above the tube. Problem solved :)

From what I understand, the post of the 70 and 90 are essentially the same, just the head is aluminum on the 70. Replace the head and you have a post the same weight as the 90 for a fraction of the cost especially with the 70 still on sale.

My 70 came out to 187g with Ti bolts and Alu Yokes from ebay China, $20. $55 total and it's lighter than the claimed weight of the EC 90 @ 200g.

The 70 has been on sale for a while, I'm asuming they're about to change the design considerably and are clearing out stock.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
No way would I buy the ec 90 when I can get the ec 70 for $30-35 and tune it to be lighter than the ec 90 for less money. I took the light bits from a $70 woodman sl head and swapped with parts from the ec 70 then sold the woodman with ec70 head components. Out of pocket about $40 and superlight post set up, at full length in like 185 grams and could easily cut an inch or more off the length.

·
Registered
90 Posts
OK Thanks! As in pointing to the sky yes, I read a bunch of people no matter how tight thiey tightened the post the seat would works itself loose and be vertical. Most say it is the carbon on carbon that causes it. (what they beleive the issue is). I will look for one of these then.

How is the dampening over a stock seatpost?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts