Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys found it easier to turn people onto MTB by lending out your ebike on rides with friends and family? I found the enthusiasm for the sport much higher now that i have an ebike to lend out on rides.

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
Have you guys found it easier to turn people onto MTB by lending out your ebike on rides with friends and family? I found the enthusiasm for the sport much higher now that i have an ebike to lend out on rides.
Most of the guys I ride with, when I do, are on mtbs and have no desire to rip an ebike. I can see however the lure if you weren't die hard mtb rider!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've ridden my mountain bike with quite a few first time riders and that first ride always seems too short; first-time riders tire quickly so an eBike would help with that.

Once they learn how much an eBike costs, it would be game over for most people - I refreshed a tapped-out Fisher Tassajara for a friend; he had purchased the bike for under a hundred dollars. The next year he bought a Tesla. Bicycles are toys but luxury cars aren't, I guess.

I have a hard enough time convincing people to go to an actual bike shop and purchase a decent hardtail instead of a full-suspension Walgoose that's been stickered with a warning against off-trail use.

I've let a couple of older guys on the trail who were curious ride my eBike; they get it right away. So probably a couple of easy sales of eBikes at the local shop but not to beginners. Most sales of eBikes are going to go to people who are already in to bicycling; the four eBike riders at my office also own human-powered bicycles.

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i mean first time riders. Not experienced people, or even trying to turn a roadie into an mountain biker. People that are totally "green" to mountain biking

·
Registered
247 Posts
i have a buddy that in no way shape or form (pun intended) would ride, until he got his ebike. not my bag, but i'm glad he got one. its fun to ride with him and never would have happened without assist. uphill he just stays with us, downhill we wait for him. all smiles at the trail head. it was a turning point for him to improve his life style, I'm happy for that.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Ebikes are great!

They allow people who lack fitness to ride faster and farther. The problem is that a lot of the people that fall into this category are lacking the skills to be able to manage these increased speeds. I haven't seen it much when it comes to off-road riding because all my local trails are off limits to ebikes. But I do see this when walking my dog on the rec trail(also off limits to ebikes) and the majority of these riders are riding without a helmet. I'm sure ebikes open the door for a lot of people to start riding, but from what I've seen they've been riding irresponsibly. I'm in favor of increased helmet laws for all ebikers.

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ebikes are great!

They allow people who lack fitness to ride faster and farther. The problem is that a lot of the people that fall into this category are lacking the skills to be able to manage these increased speeds. I haven't seen it much when it comes to off-road riding because all my local trails are off limits to ebikes. But I do see this when walking my dog on the rec trail(also off limits to ebikes) and the majority of these riders are riding without a helmet. I'm sure ebikes open the door for a lot of people to start riding, but from what I've seen they've been riding irresponsibly. I'm in favor of increased helmet laws for all ebikers.
It's quite easy to ride a bike at 20mph. You should try it some time

·
Custom User Title
717 Posts
It's an expensive investment for most. It seems more to me that it's experienced riders who appreciate e-mtb's the most. I had one friend try my bike and liked it well enough to buy an urban ebike. He knew he'd never ride the trails these emtbs are made for.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
chasing simplicity
1,472 Posts
As to the OP's original question, the father of mountain biking himself -- yes, Gary Fisher, THE Gary Fisher -- would say yes. I got to ride with him last week. Guess what he rode? Trek Powerfly. Purpose of the ride? Local Trek store wanting to get newbies interested in mountain biking (and buying ebikes). Kinda funny, it was all us diehard mtbers riding motorless that rode with him. Needless to say, we were all honored to be in his presence, regardless of the bike he was on. And yes, ebikes were permitted on the trails we rode.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
247 Posts
Did you tell him he needs to more of an advocate, show up to meetings and do something for the sport of mtbing if he is going to ride an ebike? yes i realize i only make myself laugh.
That is great, hopefully he told some good stories. i had a hi-fi at one point, really enjoyed the bike before it cracked in 1/2.

·
chasing simplicity
1,472 Posts
He did tell a trailsode story...what he’s doing in that one pic! There were like 20 of us and a bunch of hikers got all huffy and bitched us out for throwing up dust and ruining their Sunday morning jaunt, getting their shiny ski poles all dirty and such. So he told us about efforts in Marin county to preserve trails etc, concluding with “we have yet to kill, maim or injure a single hiker!”

·
Registered
513 Posts
Most beginners, as others have said, are going to enter the sport with something cheaper than an e-bike. I would guess most e-bike sales go to riders who are slowing down but have been riding for a while. Or commuters who don't want to show up to work all sweaty. I don't know the stats, so I could be wrong.

For the record, I don't have an e-bike... but I could imagine riding one when I'm in my 60s or 70s. Or sooner, if I don't age as well as I hope to.

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
Those guys sound pretty cool and not like a dude in Lyra on a $5000 bike
I saw a group of these on my local MUP the other day, it was windy so I figured I grab a draft. No such drafting occurred since as soon the lights went green at the crossing they took off like the motorcycles they are and were easily at 30mph as they sped away. I was sad as I needed the draft but I also realize that this will in no way ever become less of a problem as these things get more accessible and more people find them interesting. For the first time ever I saw the city on the same MUP with radar, tracking cyclist and other users speeds. Preamble to speed limits? Or preamble to banning some, all?

What didn't surprise me was the lack of helmets, skill, or sense of safety shown by the 2 men and 1 women riding these. Hold my beer....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.