Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding a niner wfo for 7 years. It has a Reba RL 140 fork..It is a great bike but I am getting older and no longer have the appetite or endurance for the three hour rides I used to do. In fact, even tho it's the best climber I've ever been on (better than my stumpy from before that), I can't spin up the trails and rock gardens that litter our state parks. So Ive caved and got an 'adaptive' bike - the specialized turbo levo. I really enjoy it. This bike has a revelation Deluxe RT fork 150 travel. Even though i didn't do any big jumps - i did pop over logs and land some rough descents to find that most of the front excursion was used. Sag set to 25%. Tire pressure 20 . So now I'm looking at forks. EBike specific forks are made by fox and I'm looking at the fox36. The other I'm considering is lyric r2. Anyone travel down this path before?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your reply.

I like the low speed compression. (small bumps over rock road) But when i start climbing over 2 to 6 inch obstacles(rocks and logs) the landing feels fast and abrupt. Compression is set to 2 clicks from open. More compression starts to feel rough over roots, rocks, etc. I like the amount of travel as it allows me to deal with these obstacles with my weight (200 lbs). I just wish it went through the last half of its travel more slowly, if that makes any sense.

·
Mr. Member
117 Posts
I just replaced the RS Judy TK 100mm forks on my Trek Police eBike (PowerFly 5) with a RS Yari 160mm, which I lowered to 120mm. It has 35mm stanchion tubes and the Yari/Lyrik is designed to be extra beefy as it was designed for Enduro-type use. The downhill forks, like the Pike, have been shaved to reduce weight.

Rmpl

·
Underskilled
4,804 Posts
Nice choice of bikes.

I had a Niner WFO from their first model to last year when the third frame broke.

I then decided to get a harder to crash bike, the Pole Evolink.

Demoing kit is one of my hobbies, and the only bike that really impressed me in that time was the Levo. Told dad to get one. He liked it so much he got 2. (OK I liked the specialized Camber too, so bought one for wifey). Evil following had a ton of potential too, but seat tube too slack and sizes too small.

There have been few forks that have impressed me in that time.

I'm spoiled by a Dorado, it's been ten years ahead of the competition. So almost every new fashionable fork just seems uninspiring.

The two standouts were the Fox 36 and the Yari.
Pike/Lyrik just seemed overhyped and poorly damped. The charger damper might get raved about, but it has always seemed a step back for me. They fitted a system that reduces suspension lag at the expense of comfort. The dorado has a system to provide extra suspension lag, it rides far far better.

If I was in your position I would demo both the Fox 36 and the new Manitou Mezzer.

If the Mezzer is a lightweight dorado then you will have an absolute winner on your hands.
However, I am yet to ride it =(

·
Underskilled
4,804 Posts
I have been riding a niner wfo for 7 years. It has a Reba RL 140 fork..It is a great bike but I am getting older and no longer have the appetite or endurance for the three hour rides I used to do. In fact, even tho it's the best climber I've ever been on (better than my stumpy from before that), I can't spin up the trails and rock gardens that litter our state parks. So Ive caved and got an 'adaptive' bike - the specialized turbo levo. I really enjoy it. This bike has a revelation Deluxe RT fork 150 travel. Even though i didn't do any big jumps - i did pop over logs and land some rough descents to find that most of the front excursion was used. Sag set to 25%. Tire pressure 20 . So now I'm looking at forks. EBike specific forks are made by fox and I'm looking at the fox36. The other I'm considering is lyric r2. Anyone travel down this path before?
The other option is, of course, modding your fork.

The Rev shares a chassis with the pike and is quite solid.

However, the spring is not great and the damper worse.

Dad is having problems with the fork on his new levo, just feels awful compared to the Yari on the last one.

So the reccomend to him was:

1) Change out the spring assembly to a Vorsprung Smashpot. This will make it far smoother, more support and gives a hydraulic bottom-out circuit.

2) If that still is not riding well, then consider a new damper. The Push HC97 looks good.

This gives you fine tune control.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@rmplstltskn
Why would you reduce travel on a fork? Do you achieve this by adding spacers?

@cavegiant
Thank for an informative and helpful reply. I did demo a Fox factory 36-much more linear response than current shock. Did not test bike on advanced terrain tho so I don’t know how the end of it’s travel will be like. I am in Massachusetts and have not seen any dorado shocks.

·
Underskilled
4,804 Posts
Manitou Dorado is a very rare fork, quite old and high price.

They have just released a new single crown fork to compete with the Fox 36 / Lyrik.

The Mezzer is out this month, so will be a serious competitor.

The Fox 36 is a racing fork, the more you push it, the better it gets. I'm a fan.

I recently just specced up a bike for a friend and the 36 was my recommendation. He loves it. However now the Mezzer is out I may have suggested that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.