Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’m new to mtn biking and the forum, but I’ve recently started riding local trails with friends and wondering why I never got into this earlier! Anyway, we want to start visiting bike parks in our area but I’m interested in possibly purchasing a full suspension bike. I currently have a Cujo Neo ebike hard tail that I’m having a lot of fun on but after riding my friends bike I’m wondering about getting a full suspension bike. But my question to you guys is should I go ebike or non ebike? Looking at probably a Scott Genius eride 920, or a Santa Cruz Bronson and I’d be using the bike mostly in the parks.
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
772 Posts
You can get a lot more bike for a lot less money without a motor. Plus the motor is going to create tons of problems as you ride it. From water intrusion, vibration, battery degradation, etc. They're harder on chains and drivetrain parts. Sourcing parts are expensive. Technology changes leaving you with a 45lb heap of hard to resale junk after 3 years (if it's still working). But you'll hear lots of people on here talk about how great they are. Definitely not for me. Pedalling my way up is the fun part.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you already have an eBike I would highly recommend a traditional human-powered bike. This would be for several reasons:
1 - Less expensive (especially if you are jumping it at a park)
2 - Fitness
3 - If you are riding at a park you will have limited need for the motor as the chairlifts will take you up the hard parts
4 - There is this idea that harder, more technical stuff requires a level of fitness and skill to ride safely, using the assistance of an e-bike makes this terrain easier to get to for less experienced riders and can lead to greater falls, and chance of injury
5 - Many trails still restrict e-bike usage, you will have a bike that can go anywhere

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot guys for your responses, really appreciated! Yeah I was kinda leaning toward the regular bike since I already have an ebike and I’d rather not sell my Cujo cause I really like it. Also can get better pricing in the Santa Cruz. My thoughts are I can use the ebike when I am not wanting to kill myself but just want to enjoy the fresh air and an easy ride. It’s a lot of money to spend on a bike though haha

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks a lot guys for your responses, really appreciated! Yeah I was kinda leaning toward the regular bike since I already have an ebike and I'd rather not sell my Cujo cause I really like it. Also can get better pricing in the Santa Cruz. My thoughts are I can use the ebike when I am not wanting to kill myself but just want to enjoy the fresh air and an easy ride. It's a lot of money to spend on a bike though haha
If its been a while since you have ridden a traditional bike on trails prepare yourself for the extra work. You dont want to have buyers remorse, as long as you understand it'll be a lot harder and you will be moving a lot slower (on the up-hills).

·
Registered
Specialized Kenevo SL 2022, Specialized Status 2021, Giant STP 2009
193 Posts
do you have local trails you are allowed to ride an ebike on? if so, then get an ebike. It's easy to fall into a habit of letting an ebike do all the work and not get fit. but if you push yourself you can get very fit on an ebike. I found that my upper body got stronger and i maintained my uphill pedaling fitness. however my "natural" cadence increased. and my low end torque probably got weaker.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If you have no health issues and you want to get fit, why get an e bike? There is the whole arms war thing I see with lots of riding groups here. One guy will get an e bike to "keep" up with the group, but then everyone else gets one so they now can too. I'm not anti e bike, but I'm holding off on it as long as I can. I find it a little bit of a bummer that there are days on the trail here now when e bikes now outnumber regular bikes I see. Kinda weird when I passed a family hiking down a trail as i was going up, and the mom commented, yay, you're on a "me" bike! That it was the unusual and worthy of comment now, as opposed to the other way around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
People need to stop harping on the fitness non-benefit of ebikes. I don't own one but the couple of times I've ridden/rented them, I have as good or a better workout with the ebike compared to my regular bike. Not everyone will but everyone can get the same workout on an ebike. For me, it will generally be the same or better workout because I will ride farther in the same amount of time and I'll have more fun doing it (uphill, at least).

For me the decision comes down to price and ride quality. As others have mentioned, you can get much more bike for your money without the motor. If I want the ebike version of my current bike it's $3500+ more.

·
Class Clown
3,834 Posts
I don't see how you are getting the same kind of ride on an ebike unless you are using it in low power or turning off the motor, to which I would say what is the point. A regular bike is much tougher, and there is no easy switch. You pedal that thing until you get where you're going, pain be damned.

Not to say you won't get a workout, because you need to pedal and all that, and maybe you go further. I am not disparaging ebikes, I use them for commuting precisely because they are easier/faster and I don't work up a big sweat.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I don't see how you are getting the same kind of ride on an ebike unless you are using it in low power or turning off the motor, to which I would say what is the point. A regular bike is much tougher, and there is no easy switch. You pedal that thing until you get where you're going, pain be damned.

Not to say you won't get a workout, because you need to pedal and all that, and maybe you go further. I am not disparaging ebikes, I use them for commuting precisely because they are easier/faster and I don't work up a big sweat.
It's a different type of workout, because of the extra weight. Descending 10k feet and doing 50 miles in a ride is not easy. Your cardio won't spike as much, and your legs won't give out nearly as early on an ebike, but the overall fitness used is still there. And at least for me and most my friends that can be proven with a power meter and heart rate monitor. One common trend on ebikes you see is over the course of an hour long climb, your heart rate is way more consistent at a normal pace (around 160ish for me). But on a normal bike your heart rate will spike and fall, which can lead to a more unhealthy workout.

·
Registered
73 Posts
People need to stop harping on the fitness non-benefit of ebikes. I don't own one but the couple of times I've ridden/rented them, I have as good or a better workout with the ebike compared to my regular bike. Not everyone will but everyone can get the same workout on an ebike. For me, it will generally be the same or better workout because I will ride farther in the same amount of time and I'll have more fun doing it (uphill, at least).

For me the decision comes down to price and ride quality. As others have mentioned, you can get much more bike for your money without the motor. If I want the ebike version of my current bike it's $3500+ more.
Because it's not the same at all. Short of turning off the motor or running in eco, I fail to see how you are going anaerobic for the same length of time. I ride both an ebike and a regular bike and have tracked HR, PRE, HRV, OBLA etc etc. They are nowhere near close at all. An ebike can give you a good zone 2 endurance workout, of course, and inline with a regular bike, and they are amazing for that, especially active recovery days, but thats a limited view of fitness develpment IMHO (was a coach and PT for many years).

·
noMAD man
12,164 Posts
Meh...I got into mountain biking for the fun. To me the fitness is a side benefit that I do appreciate, but I'm no Nazi fitness freak. I got into emtb's for the same reason. On this issue of lack of fitness returns and emtb's, I sometimes think that people who have never ridden dirt motors seriously are the ones making this claim. You are not sitting on a pillow watching the scenery go by on either an emtb or dirt motor...at least not if you're pushing the envelope a bit. There's a surprising bit of bigotry and ignorance when it comes to pedal-only and emtb. I recommend you try both and see what fits you.

As some have already suggested, however, make sure you'll have some place to ride an emtb. While not an issue in my area, some places have a fair number of nannies and know-it-all's who restrict emtbs on trails. Good luck with your search.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.